300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have some questions on the road to LEO

Hi all. I've edited this question to pertain to what I really want to find out:

This is my current background:
    • Current Finance major at a SUNY School with over 85 credits (going into senior year)
    • Been employed by Target through high school and college for the past 4 years and 7 months
    • I have an absolutely clean record (window tint ticket (dropped), inspection ticket(waived), cell phone ticket(reduced to parking ticket)). Those are the only marks on my record.
    • Tried marijuana two or three times at the beginning of my sophmore year. (Like I said, going in to senior year)
    • No other drug experimentation
    • No arrests, no record
    • Currently 21, 6'2" and 188lbs.

I am getting ready to submit my application to take the Civil Service Exam.

What I want to know is should I go ahead and take the exam now and attempt to get hired now, or should I wait? I interview very well and am a confident individual. Basically, is the time right for me to apply and begin the process, or is more time required for me?
    Last edited by Exdeus; 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM. Reason: Adding
    "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you never take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

Since I'm not in New York, I can't really answer your questions about reserves etc etc, but you can almost bet that 3 uses of marijuana, only a year ago, will make you a no go. I seriously doubt you'll get hired without at least a few more years between you and any drug use. That's fairly normal for most departments. Go ahead and apply, but in my opinion you'll be wasting your time and the dept. you are applying for.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Yeah, it was either 2 or 3 uses, I can't remember exactly to be honest with you. It's one of those regrettable experiences.

Thats what I wanted to find out. Otherwise, I have an immaculate record with no blemishes what so ever.
      -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Doesn't matter if is was 2, 3 or 1. Recent drug use is typically an automatic DQ. Give if some time ( re: a few years in which you can show responsible work history and good decision making) and then apply.
        I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Shaidon View Post
          Doesn't matter if is was 2, 3 or 1. Recent drug use is typically an automatic DQ. Give if some time ( re: a few years in which you can show responsible work history and good decision making) and then apply.
          Let me ask this then, speaking on terms of responsible work history, etc. I have been employed at my workplace during high school and college for the last 4 years and 7 months without a single strike on my record.

I take it bottom line there is no way to outweigh the experimentation is there? Are some departments more lenient about that maybe if I start with a smaller office, or is it in general a no go situation.

And lastly then, if that is an automatic DQ, should I still sit for the Civil Service Exam, or should I just wait and hope its offered within the next four years?

I would imagine sit? That way I can apply to departments later?

Was I correct with how its done? Take the test, and interested departments contact you? Or do you have to actually apply?

Thank you for your help Shaidon!
          -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Road to LEO

You've asked some pretty general questions, so that's how I have to reply. Usually, the Civil Service Exam is given for a specifc department. Passing is usually 70%, but a score in the mid-high nineties is really going to be required in order for you to advance in the hiring process. This process, while not totally uniform, is fairly similiar. Upon passing the written, you'll probably be given a physical exam, a physical agility test, a psychological exam,and you'll be required to pass a thorough Background investigation. Your recent use of marijuana may or may not be a DQ, but if there is any history of hard drug use, that is often a DQ. Your college ambitions really look good. A tour in the Coast Guard wouldn't hurt you at all.With a degree, it is also possible you could qualify for a commission in the Coast Guard. After all the dust settles and the smoke clears, it's going to be your decision as to where, and when to apply. Do a little research, possibly do some ride-alongs where they are offered, and ask some questions.

Comment

PhillipCal:

I appreciate the reply. Sorry, I didn't mean to have too many general questions.

Anyways, as far as the Civil Service Exam, I am signing up for the Police / Sheriff Civil Service Exam. This is what all the departments I spoke with said I needed to take, and they then said I would be contacted by them.

What I was requesting as far as advice on the process, I suppose, was more along the lines of inside tips of things that may not be too commonly spoken of or known. I know the process in general terms.

As far as the Coast Guard goes, I am going to talk to a recruiter on Thursday to see what he has to offer me, etc. I am extremely interested in being a chopper pilot.

Lastly, I went ahead and have several forms in my possession for ride-alongs and will be submitting those as soon as finals week is over.
              -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

I guess what I really want to know is should I take the Civil Service exam now, or wait a few years?

Also, who would you recommend that I call and ask to speak to about any DQ's I may have (the marijuana is the only one)? Is there any specific person within a department that I should speak with about this, etc? I don't want to waste anyones time, etc.

Would it maybe be wiser to start in a much smaller department and try to apply to them first?
                -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158275 users online. 126 members and 158149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X