300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easier to get hired on as a Reserve?

Like the title says, are background investigators a little more leinant when it comes to hiring a Reserve? I ask this question because I graduated from a California P.O.S.T Academy in September 30, 2006. I have applied to four local agencies and have been disqualified by each of them, fustrating to say the least. I do carry some baggage when it comes to my background, however I am 100% forthcoming and honest. At this point I am getting a little fustrated, so I was thinking of applying as a Reserve officer. The reason I am thinking of going this route because a Captain who was teaching our class said for those of us that have background issues we might think about getting hired as a Reserve because usually they are willing to take a chance on you. I am willing to get hired as a Reserve to prove myself to the department, but am I wasting my time. In the meantime I am a full time student and have two classes left for my Associate of Science, I am also 23 years old. Here in California to be a level I Reserve officer, I believe you have to be P.O.S.T certified, how many people are running around with a P.O.S.T and are willing to work for FREE!! Thanks for your time. I will never give up, keep in mind out of 43 graduating cadets, I was ranked #7 Academically and top 5 overall, also won the defensive tactics award.

most CA agencies have the same strict hiring standards as full time peace officers. the background investigations are the same. so if you've been DQ'ed from 4 agencies, then it won't look good even for a reserve position.

OCSD was scrutinized harshly because Sheriff Carona hired his friends as reserves w/o going through any process. He just gave badges and guns out. As a result one of his friends pulled out his gun and badge on a golf course. But this is a whole different story.

are you a police cadet, like it says on your profile? is that a paid non-sworn position with a LE agency? if so why not try for them? which academy did you goto and which agencies have you applied for?

Comment

Admittedly I'm on the other side of the country but here, in the south most reservist go thru the same BI as the full-time guys.

What might help you out could be to target smaller departments where you can work up a good resume and then move onto a bigger career department after getting a good LE job reference under your belt.

Most of these smaller departments look for POST certified officers to save them the expense of the academy and they do understand they are more or less a stepping stone to other departments.

They might be more willing to take a chance on a prospect such as yourself, because not everyday a POST certified officer walks in the door and applies. Whereas you are being turned down for BI stuff by the bigger guys because they have a pile of apps 2 feet high.

Also see if the academy director where you attended might write you a letter or refer you to a department which might hire you or one he could put in a good word for you. As some of your instructors as well, you would be surprised just who they might know.
      Last edited by JSandi; 05-08-2007, 12:05 AM.
      "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

I graduated from San Joaquin Delta Peace Officer Academy, I graduated last September. I was a non-sponsor (paid myself through). I applied with Turlock Police Services, Calaveras County Sheriff's Department, Tuolumne County S.O, and Stockton Unified School District Police Department. I just recently applied and turned my PHS to Sacramento County, and applied to Alameda County S.O a few days ago. I figured I would have a pretty good shot being that I took the time to put myself through the Academy excelled in all aspects of the Academy with awards to show, however I understand the whole process, but am hoping someone would give me a shot, even if it was a Reserve position for a year or so to prove myself. Thanks again.

Comment

I have a great resume, volunteer experience, being a Police Explorer, almost finished with my AS degree etc. I also have a bunch of friends that are officers and are great references as to my character.

Comment

I just got hired as a seasonal summer reserve patrol officer for a small town that has a huge tourism influx. The department uses the summer guys like myself and preps them for fulltime work. About 50% of the full time guys started out where i am now. I went throgh the same background check, I did not take a poly, but if i do go fulltime in this department they will poly me based on the results of my BI when I was hired as a Reserve. So the answer to your question is yes. Im in Maine, and your in California, so it maybe different. I had pages after pages of the Have you evers, and went through the same hiring standards as a full time guy. Good luck to you, Keep trying. Last year, i was DQ from 4 agencies, and got hired this year.

Comment

Congradulations, it is basically my understanding that some department hire Reserves in hopes of hiring full time at some point. Three of the four departments I applied about a year ago, and the other has been six months. Right now Im almost finished getting hired with CDCR just waiting my oral psych and start date, but that is not where my heart is.

Comment

I think the main question is...why did you get DQ'ed? Do you know why? Was it the same issue that DQ'ed you for all 4 departments? If you can answer that, we might be able to understand the issue more clearly.
                I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Im honestly not sure what issue/issues resulted in me getting disqualified, wish I did. When I talked to one BI he told me I had too many "little" things, not so much big red flags, and told me that I will get hired by someone just I need to have some more time under my belt of the things I have done. I tried to shed the best possible light of the things that I have done, trying my best to make the wrongs a right, and continually improving myself as an individual. I have a clean record, just things that I have done with old friends that I was never caught for (I no longer hang out with those said friends anymore), for example petty thefts, which I have paid the moneys back in full to such places trying my best to clear my conscious of my wrongdoings.

Comment

Something I was told before I got into LE was that you can't be picky about the departments you try to get on at...apply everywhere and eventually you'll get on somewhere. If you truly want it, don't give up, and keep reapplying at the places that turned you down as well. Who knows the exact reason you didn't get on? Well only they do, so don't give up. Some departments want to see drive and determination. Good luck to you.
                    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Heaney View Post
                      Im honestly not sure what issue/issues resulted in me getting disqualified, wish I did. When I talked to one BI he told me I had too many "little" things, not so much big red flags
                      You've been DQ'd by four agencies, and no one has bothered to tell you exactly why? Going back to some of your older posts, I have a pretty good idea why all the DQ's. You need to put more time between you, and those "little things!" Exactly how much time, will be up to the individual agency you're shooting for
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Like I mentioned, I wish I knew what exact issue/issues resulted in me getting disqualified, was even told not to even inquire about it if I was disqualified. I don't blame anyone but myself for my background, however it is a bit fustrating writing down every bad thing you have done in the PHS when you know your a good person just made a few bad choices. What is a good rule of thumb when determining how much time is sufficient? I was actually thinking of re-applying to a couple of those same departments I was disqualified at...... how does that look to a BI?

Comment

Reserve

Your question has been pretty well answered, but I'll venture this. In most jurisdictions, the requirements for Reserve Officers are generally the same as for a Regular Officer. If you have "Background" issues, you are more aware of them than any of us. I certainly do not expect you to "air" any issues here. If you can determine a common thread or reason for your prior DQs, you may then be on to a situation you have to correct. The fact that you have a number of DQs is probably raising a big red flag to current or future Background Investigators.

Comment

The fact that I have been disqualified sucks to say the least, but got over it a long time ago, and still moving forward. I remember my Academy coordinator who is a retired Lt. from a large department and former background investigator informed to me keep applying "who cares you've been disqualified" it took him 2 years to find a job, I then asked him about applying as a Reserve and he also informed me not to do it because he felt I was too good to be a Reserve and just apply full time paid position. Right now I would be content with being a Reserve until I finish my BA.

Comment

Reserve Officer.

Okay, but that Retired Lt, isn't doing your Background Investigation. I'm not attempting to belittle the gentleman, or anything he's telling you. What I am saying is that there almost has to be some common or consistant reason why you're DQd in the manner you've described. Once again, I suggest that you know that reason(s) better than any one of us. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4224 users online. 260 members and 3964 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X