Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politics/ Nepotism.. Received verbal offer from chief but still worried?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics/ Nepotism.. Received verbal offer from chief but still worried?

[Post deleted]
    Last edited by Lincoln1999; Yesterday, 02:46 PM.

A verbal offer is worth the paper it is written on. I would have waited until I got something in writing before I resigned, but that's water under the bridge now.

I wouldn't recontact the lieutenant yet. It has been one day. It's reasonable to expect that it might take him a day or two to determine where and when you'll be going for training.
    John from Maryland

Comment

• Lincoln1999
      Lincoln1999 commented
      Editing a comment
      I realize now that it was a potentially costly move that I made. However, the chief and I even discussed me resigning from my current position the same day in order to begin ASAP. I didn't think/ feel it was my place to ask the chief for a written offer, as it might seem as if I was questioning his authority. (Might be the ex-military in me intimidated by leadership) A friend of mine who got hired months back with them didn't ever get an official offer with them, merely just a phone call and everything worked out for him, which makes me feel somewhat better.

You violated the primary rule of changing jobs. You do not resign from your current position until you have your badge and ID from your new job in your hand. If you need time to relocate or do whatever, you burn vacation or PTO, but you NEVER resign from your old job until you are actually employed by your new one.

As John said, give it a couple of days before you do anything.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Lincoln1999
      Lincoln1999 commented
      Editing a comment
      I realize now that it was a potentially costly move that I made. However, the chief and I even discussed me resigning from my current position the same day in order to begin ASAP. A friend of mine who got hired months back with them didn't ever get an official offer with them, merely just a phone call and everything worked out for him, which makes me feel somewhat better.

• L-1
      L-1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but you are talking in the past tense about a friend whose event has had time to play out and fortunately turned out to be OK. But in your original post you expressed concern about an event that has yet to be resolved and for which the outcome may still be uncertain. Just because it worked for your buddy doesn't necessarily guarantee it will work for you. That's why you initiated this post.

Let me ask you this - if you had not resigned from your old job as of yet and were not facing the prospect of being completely unemployed if the lieutenant screws you over, would you be as worried as you are now?

• Lincoln1999
      Lincoln1999 commented
      Editing a comment
      I see your point and completely acknowledge the fault/ mistake that I had made. In no way am I trying to blame anybody else for any consequences that I might face based on my actions. My old position was a part time civilian position with an agency, as I was attending college while I worked there, and didn't offer any vacation benefits, PTO, etc.. The longer I waited to resign with them, the longer it would take to get the ball rolling with the new agency. The chief even discussed with me that I should resign from my position to get started, but I felt as if it was not my place to question his authority and ask for something official in writing right then and there. That might have been the ex-military in me intimidated to question authority. More than anything, I was just asking for advice as to what steps I should take next to potentially make things right/final to place me at ease.

The only thing you can do now is play out the hand. Your ante, your bets and calls, and your cards are on the table, and none can be changed.

I am an old guy, seriously old (great-grandfather more than once). I have lived through a lot, but I don't remember ever knowingly taking a job that required me to work for an *******.

Good luck.

Comment

I would give it a couple more days and if not contacted by the Lieutenant..........................I would contact the Chief directly and express what has happened.

This is a small department........................things get handled that way where on larger agencies it would be a big problem . I have no doubts that this agency doesn't use written offers....................It happens out there

If THAT turned out bad..................you REALLY wouldn't want to work there anyway.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
        but I don't remember ever knowingly taking a job that required me to work for an *******.
        You said...what I was thinking.

Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
        http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

I wouldn't take a job under those conditions! Hopefully the Lt will get over it and not try to jeopardize your job.

I never got a written offer of employment from a department. But they all understood giving the former employer / department a notice of at least 2 weeks.

Failing to give notice is a good way to burn bridges and get a bad reference down here. But there's no turning back now.

Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like a sh*t sandwich. And I know sh*t sandwiches- I've eaten more than I can count...

The LT is probably pulling whatever cards he has- telling the chief what a mfer you are, 1,000 reasons why you're not a good fit, that your failure is assured, blah blah blah.

Say the chief ignores him and hires you. Well, now the fun really begins. Keep in mind the chief is mostly a figurehead- his job is to go before the city council with budgets and write policy about call outs and have coffee with the sheriff at Perkins every Wednesday morning. The chief will have very little to do with you, once you're on.

The LT, on the other hand, will be in your mess every minute of every day, if he so chooses. And because he will control the narrative, he can set you up to fail.

How this plays out is a roll of the dice at this point. Maybe it'll all work out. You get hired, the LT accepts it like a professional, and the world is at peace and harmony.

Or maybe you get hired, only to walk into a buzzsaw where a spiteful, hateful, resentful person with power does everything he can to destroy you (HR is a joke in these situations, btw).

Or maybe you don't get hired and because you quit your job, now you're McLovin' It at McDonalds to pay the bills while the dust settles from all this....

Welcome to the big leagues, Kid.
            Last edited by Ratatatat; 08-15-2019, 07:11 AM.
            Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, I know that LT. After a strong cup of coffee, I make a perfect 1/8-scale sculpture of him every morning.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            . Keep in mind the chief is mostly a figurehead- his job is to go before the city council with budgets and write policy about call outs and have coffee with the sheriff at Perkins every Wednesday morning. The chief will have very little to do with you, once you're on.

That isn't necessarily true in a SMALL department.

There are THOUSANDS of "working" chief's out there...........................the op states this is a small municipal department ................90 percent chance that this is the story here

I am taking on faith that if the CHIEF says he is hired.................he is hired.

The rest of your post is spot on
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Make friends with the chief, the mayor, and everyone on council. You are going to need all of the support you can get.

Comment

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                That can help in some places but not work out so well in others.

How small is the department? How many officers? What's small in one area may be considered a large department in other areas.

Comment

• Lincoln1999
                Lincoln1999 commented
                Editing a comment
                Roughly 25 sworn including command staff.

On a department that size, in that situation, you may find yourself having a very "interesting" time.

You being hired over the #2's kid would indicate a few possibilities...the two most likely are that the Chief is one of those rare straight-shooter admins or there's some conflict between him and his #2. If it's the second, then welcome to the war...you're now one of "the Chief's boys" and the LT will probably be on you from the very start.

The biggest problem for you will be that you're on probation, and that's a delicate time for an employee...a time that I would recommend that nobody choose sides when it comes to internal politics. With a department that size, if there is internal strife between the Chief and LT, there are probably different "factions" and "cliques" of supporters among the line officers. You, of course, will have to work with these various officers, and may even be FTO'ing under officers on different sides. If the LT is particularly spiteful or vindictive, then you may see attempts to sabotage your FTO and probationary period...you have no real protection during these times and can be terminated for pretty much any reason.

IF this turns out to be the situation, the only recommendation I can make is to do everything to the absolute best of your abilities during your academy, FTO, and probationary period. Be exceedingly humble and respectful to everybody, even if they try to push your buttons. Stay as far away from any internal politics as you can...don't pick sides, don't express your opinions, pretend like you're wearing blinders and earmuffs if the complaining starts around you. Your job is self-preservation and learning at this point, nothing more.

Of course, this is all worst case scenario, and you may not have any problems at all...but, you'll find that cops are generally about as catty as teenaged girls and as interested in spreading rumors as old women at a sewing circle.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Twenty-five sworn.

I would do like Bing_Oh said and remain neutral when any one starts complaining or talking about ANY other officer(s). Definitely don't spread any rumors!

That includes their family members.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5103 users online. 206 members and 4897 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X