Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Frontline Test and Dyslexia

Hi y'all,
    I'm currently a college student in Oregon, about to graduate, and I'm about to begin the application process with my top three agencies as positions open up. I am feeling confident with a majority of the application process but the test and a recent ticket have me a little worried. to get a better understanding of the departments in Oregon I have completed a number of ride along (12) with different agencies to get a feel for all the different types of agencies out there and to see where I feel the most comfortable. I have talked with many different officers and even a retired chief who has really helped me get on track asking them all any question I can think of to understand more about the career. I have a single ticket for ORS 811.265 (Driver failure to obey traffic control device) and I will be going to traffic school to learn more about my mistake. I have been studying for the exam using the practice exam from NTN and SGT Godoys training course. I was diagnosed with dyslexia and even though I've worked hard overcoming this learning disability there are things that still trip me up, like grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I know the Frontline test has a report writing segment and I am slightly worried that my inefficient grammatical and spelling knowledge will really show. I know these are important skills for officers to have and I have really hunkered down to study grammar, punctuation, and commonly misspelled words. Thank you for your time and any knowledge you share with me. If you have any helpful pointers for the application process, those would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

You either pass the written or not.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Ishy View Post
      Hi y'all,
      I'm currently a college student in Oregon, about to graduate, and I'm about to begin the application process with my top three agencies as positions open up. I am feeling confident with a majority of the application process but the test and a recent ticket have me a little worried. to get a better understanding of the departments in Oregon I have completed a number of ride along (12) with different agencies to get a feel for all the different types of agencies out there and to see where I feel the most comfortable. I have talked with many different officers and even a retired chief who has really helped me get on track asking them all any question I can think of to understand more about the career. I have a single ticket for ORS 811.265 (Driver failure to obey traffic control device) and I will be going to traffic school to learn more about my mistake. I have been studying for the exam using the practice exam from NTN and SGT Godoys training course. I was diagnosed with dyslexia and even though I've worked hard overcoming this learning disability there are things that still trip me up, like grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I know the Frontline test has a report writing segment and I am slightly worried that my inefficient grammatical and spelling knowledge will really show. I know these are important skills for officers to have and I have really hunkered down to study grammar, punctuation, and commonly misspelled words. Thank you for your time and any knowledge you share with me. If you have any helpful pointers for the application process, those would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
      Be flexible and know that you may not be hired by your dream dept

If you're a college student and are about to graduate, you've obviously done a pretty good job of overcoming your dyslexia. Treat the test like you would any of the exams in school. Crush the s$#t out of it and get hired.

But again, you're competing with a lot of people so be willing to move if you have to. You can always lateral in a couple of years if you want to.

Conquering dyslexia speaks to your character IMO. That is no mean feat. Good luck to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4833 users online. 183 members and 4650 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X