300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• background question

Hello all. I apologize if this has been answered a hundred times, but I’m just going to throw it out their and I hope you all can be as honest as you can. I’ll get right to it. Two years ago I was given an entry level separation during navy boot camp for an adjustment disorder. I really missed home and quit on myself. Horrible mistake, how many warriors out their also miss home, and I couldn’t find the heart to finish boot camp. My biggest regret in life. One thing I did learn is how awful it felt to quit on yourself. It’s the worst feeling In The world. Since then I have been working to rebuild myself. I have completed the post level 3 and level 2 academies, and am currently in the process of trying to obtain a waiver so I can go back and finish what I started two years ago, as a reservist. I also will attend module 1, to get my full certification. I feel like as a result of me quitting on myself in boot camp, and also through my law Enforcement training in the modular academy I am a much stronger person then I was two years ago, mentally and physically. I fell but I got back up and want to move forward. Do I have a shot in law enforcement? Will completing this modular academy show that I can handle what it takes to be in law enforcement? Or am I pretty Much forever barred?

Kicked out of the military for a psychological problem is probably going to be a pretty significant challenge to employment in law enforcement.

The bar is MUCH, MUCH higher to get into law enforcement, than it is to get into the military...and the military didn't want you.

It is also a concern that this happened only two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      Kicked out of the military for a psychological problem is probably going to be a pretty significant challenge to employment in law enforcement.

The bar is MUCH, MUCH higher to get into law enforcement, than it is to get into the military...and the military didn't want you.

It is also a concern that this happened only two years ago.
      Thank you for your response! I can be honest with myself and I doubt I will ever get hired on anywhere. I still plan on putting myself through module 1, and even if I can never become a cop I am damn sure going to try my hardest to get back into the navy and make good on that oath I signed. What I did was inexcusable and I need to correct it. Hopefully my waiver is approved.

Comment

It appears that thee OP has laid out the facts in a straight-forward manner, which is a point in his favor in my opinion. Far too many people would be making excuses and pointing fingers rather than simply accepting responsibility for one's failings.

My advice is to continue being entirely truthful about this part of your history. No embellishment and no excuses. That alone will call attention to your truthfulness, which is sadly lacking in most applicants.

Keep in mind that you will always be competing against a pool of applicants for every position, and the final cuts can be brutal at times. I would expect at least a few arbitrary disqualifications, and I would expect some very pointed questioning by background investigators and oral board members. Smaller departments in outlying areas are likely to be more productive opportunities, and while the pay and benefits are likely to be lower, these could provide you with a foot in the door leading to other opportunities in the future as you develop a positive work history and good references.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Futuresheepdog View Post
          Hello all. I apologize if this has been answered a hundred times, but I’m just going to throw it out their and I hope you all can be as honest as you can. I’ll get right to it. Two years ago I was given an entry level separation during navy boot camp for an adjustment disorder. I really missed home and quit on myself. Horrible mistake, how many warriors out their also miss home, and I couldn’t find the heart to finish boot camp. My biggest regret in life. One thing I did learn is how awful it felt to quit on yourself. It’s the worst feeling In The world. Since then I have been working to rebuild myself. I have completed the post level 3 and level 2 academies, and am currently in the process of trying to obtain a waiver so I can go back and finish what I started two years ago, as a reservist. I also will attend module 1, to get my full certification. I feel like as a result of me quitting on myself in boot camp, and also through my law Enforcement training in the modular academy I am a much stronger person then I was two years ago, mentally and physically. I fell but I got back up and want to move forward. Do I have a shot in law enforcement? Will completing this modular academy show that I can handle what it takes to be in law enforcement? Or am I pretty Much forever barred?
          An entry level separation isn't the same as a less than Honorable Discharge. I think you have a decent chance of being hired.

I'm not familiar with the post level 3 and 2 academies. You would have to complete a full academy here.
          I would lose the 'warriors missing home', 'couldn't find the heart to finish' 'quit on myself' 'I fell but I got back up' verbiage. You make it sound like you went to boy scout camp.

You enlisted in the military, failed to adapt and went home.

Not everyone is cut out for the military. No shame in that. Good luck to you.
          Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 08-07-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Every state has its own process, so I have no idea what levels and modules mean in regards to certification.

Completing as academy does not show that "you can make it" in law enforcement -- it means that you passed the prerequisites to start the field training process.

An entry level separation will raise questions, but it is not insurmountable. Does your file state that the "adjustment disorder" relates to being psychologically unfit for military service? It sounds to me like it is a Failure to Adapt entry level separation unless you were formally evaluated and diagnosed with a specific psychological condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post

I'm not familiar with the post level 3 and 2 academies. You would have to complete a full academy here.
              Originally posted by just joe View Post
              Every state has its own process, so I have no idea what levels and modules mean in regards to certificatio
              The poster is referring to RESERVE OFFICER certifications in the state of California

There are 3 levels of Reserve Officers in the state and those levels dicate what the officer can do as an officer

A level ONE officer can act pretty much on his/her own while the other two levels need greater supervision of a certified peace officer
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Zeitgeist1
                Zeitgeist1 commented
                Editing a comment
                If there is something similar here, I'm not aware of it. interesting.

• Iowa #1603
                Iowa #1603 commented
                Editing a comment
                In Iowa there are Reserves...we certify them and they can act as Peace Officers under the general guidance of a fully certified regular officer. Certification is not the same as a regular officer

I think by the time a Cali officer has his level one it is nearly the same number of hours as a regular officer

• CCCSD
                CCCSD commented
                Editing a comment
                CA requires a full time academy or modules completed that equate to be a Level One.

What's your reenlistment code?
              Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
              http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Sorry for the late response. My reenlistment code is RE-3G. I am eligible to reenlist into the navy with a waiver; I am currently in the process of waiting to see if my waiver will be approved. A condition to even apply for this waiver was to see a psychiatrist to make sure I have no mental health conditions affecting me, which I do not. Hopefully it gets approved. And yes since then I have completed two thirds of the POST Module academy, so I do have a current level 2 reserve officer certificate. Early next year I will be sponsoring myself to attend the Riverside County Sheriff's Module 1 academy. I'm hoping to apply as a pre-service candidate, and although I acknowledge that I made a huge mistake quitting on myself at boot camp; I cannot quit on myself any longer and hope to make my dream come true. I would be just as happy with a Reserve Position as I would be with a full time.Thank you all for your responses.

Comment

Is putting yourself through a POST accredited academy versus an agency sponsoring you through on their dime an advantage? Also is the pool of applicants for reserve positions just as competitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Futuresheepdog View Post
                    Is putting yourself through a POST accredited academy versus an agency sponsoring you through on their dime an advantage? Also is the pool of applicants for reserve positions just as competitive?
                    Reserves have to meet the exact same standards as full time peace officers. Tbh I wouldn’t sponsor myself right now. You need to put more time between you and your failure in boot camp. Or successfully pass boot camp first to show you aren’t shy about tackling your failures.

Im going to tell you right now that police academy is a lot harder than boot camp in several ways. Academy is almost twice as long, requires you to actually think and be creative instead of just following orders, and requires you to maintain peak physical condition for a much longer period of time. If you couldn’t hack boot camp, you ain’t going to pass the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4881 users online. 194 members and 4687 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X