300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Concerns!

I'm currently serving on active duty with the Marines and I will be getting out in July. I have been dreaming about a career in law enforcement since I was in high school, but chose the military instead. My only concern is some of the stupid things I did in my younger years. Here is a little about myself, starting with the negatives first:

-Used steroids for a month in 2000.
    -Smoked Marijuana 4 times between 1999-2001
    -experimented with Cocaine once in 2003
    -Listed as a defendant on a protective order (Harassment)(Cancelled and never went to court)
    -Got a speeding ticket for 10 over in 2002 (Paid, never went to court)

Now for the positives:

-Married for 5 years.
    -No stupidity since 2003.
    -No financial issues ever!!
    -No military troubles or negative evaluations.
    -57 Semester hours of college in Liberal Arts. (Not enough time to finish, because of my seperation date from the military.)
    -Multiple awards and military recognitions.
    -never arrested.
    -never been tried or convicted of a felony.
    -never been to court period, except for a marriage license!
    -Enjoy serving and want to continue serving.

I realize I have done stupid things and I wish I could go back and change it, but I can't! Just got to keep moving forward and make up for the stupidity in the future. I'm moving back to my home state Oklahoma, so i will be searching in that area. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hmm, just going by what you wrote I would seem to think that the cocaine and the protective order would be the biggest negatives. Protective order may show some anger issues and violence. I am just in the begining stages myself, but from what I have read on here those things seem to be big. Take what I have to say with a grain of salt though. I am sure someone more qualified will chime in.

Comment

Looks like you've turned your personal life around by the dates provided. Getting out in July is pretty soon. Most hiring processes take six months or more. You didn't mention your MOS, so most likely you'll have to attend a full police standards course. That in itself takes about six months to complete. If your going to get into LE, start the application process early and expect it to take awhile. Good luck.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

July is coming soon! I figured the process would take months to complete, so I enrolled in college back in Oklahoma. I have only applied to one department so far, but I will shoot more applications out there once I get home. Making a life change is exactly why I enlisted in the Marines. I wanted to serve a higher purpose and get as much education as possible. I have done nothing but benefit from everything that I have learned from the military. I would stay in, but the deployments are creating a gap between my family and I. I'm ashamed by my past, but that is the past. I just want the chance to serve within a community and interact with people everyday. That is my ideal career! Hopefully it works out!!

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to post my job in the Marines. I'm a 3521 (Motor Transport Mechanic.) I know I would have to attend all kinds of training! Thats fine, because I love training!

Comment

Great to hear you have a plan. Think positive and go for it.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement blueribbon!

Comment

Background Concerns

Curtis, two things would concern my on your application. The use of Cocaine, and the Protective Order. Be prepared to fully explain those two situations. It's possible that the Cocaine use could be a disqualifier, it's also possible, that even if it's not, some agencies would want another year to elapse before allowing you to proceed in the hiring process. That said, I would definitely apply, and I would apply to more than one agency. When you fill out your Background Package be completely honest. Anything less will be an almost certain DQ. Good luck, and Semper Fi!!

Comment

PhilipCal,

Thanks for the information! Although I'm ashamed, I have no problem bringing my past into the open. If there is one thing that I have learned, it is dishonesty gets you nowhere in life. Once again thanks for the reply and I will be applying everywhere I can soon!

Comment

Go for it!! Semper Fi!!

Comment

Train, Train and Train some more. Just had to say that. I saw your post that said you love training. I love it too, lol. Goodluck.

Comment

Roger That! Training makes us all stronger!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6351 users online. 352 members and 5999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X