Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another background question with my history

Hi everyone!

I know you guys are probably sick of these hiring process questions, but I wanted a bit of insight. I've been actively applying to law enforcement agencies for the past 3 years. I dipped my toes in the hiring process for the first time in 2012 and made a critical mistake, which I'll touch on in just a moment.

I'm currently in background with my "dream" department, a large sheriff's office. Unfortunately, in my younger years, I fell in with some bad apples and made multiple mistakes. I believe I committed roughly 14 undetected crimes, some as minor as curfew violations (2006) to something more major like my friend and I shooting at cars with a BB gun (2007). All these crimes span between 2002 and 2011. I've never been arrest or convicted for any criminal activity.

Here's a big YIKEs, the crime I'm most concerned about: When I was 14 years old, in 2008, I got my wisdom teeth removed. I got a prescription of Oxycodone 5mg. At school the next day, I expressed to my friend that the Oxycodone makes my stomach sick and I didn't like it. I assume she told her mother or her mother found out in some way. The following day, I went to her house and brought the bottle with me because I might feel more mouth pain. While we were hanging out. She approached me and wanted to buy the pills from me, she told me she had arthritis and didn't get enough meds for her pain. Initially, I refused because it made me really uncomfortable. Over the next 3 or 4 hours, while I was still there she kept bringing it up and asking me to sell it to her, which I kept refusing. Later on, I went home and my friend called my cellphone, when I answered it was her mother and she asked if i would reconsider. This should have been a red flag to me, I started to get scared, then I thought she must be in really bad shape from her arthritis. I told her I'd give them to her for free, just to help, since I wasn't comfortable with selling it. She drove to my house, I walked outside when she pulled up and when I gave her the pills, she forced me to take $50. I felt really guilty after that, but I never reported it to anyone. I don't mean to minimize the action I took, but that was the situation.

My most recent undetected crime was between 2010 - 2012 in which I engaged in 4 short spontaneous street races in the span of 3 years, the length being less than one mile. Also, torrenting movies online 2010-2013.

I first applied to LE in 2012 in a different state, I was still young and dumb. During the background interview, I got embarrassed and ashamed at all the actions I've committed and omitted information on a question. The detective noticed I was uncomfortable and asked if I was hiding something or if there was anything else, I was upset at myself for omitting, so I admitted to him that I omitted information. Understandably, I was disqualified from that department.

I continued on with school and earned my bachelor's degree in CCJ and have kept my nose clean since 2012. I'm 27 now and I've never done any drugs or anything like that in my life. I suppose, I've done a complete 180 since 2012. Since then, I've been dedicated to honesty and integrity and I'm completely dedicated in my career choice.

I've contacted the agency i'm applying with and they stated that the omitting information is not an auto dq, but they did make it clear that I must be honest, which I completely intend to be.

In addition, I volunteered with my (at the time) local sheriffs office for 5 years.

All of the above is just so you can get a bigger picture of what my history is like. I know it may be easy to say YIKES, I have shown a bad pattern in my younger years and I completely own up to it. These are all, of course, pretty bad marks in background.

The reason I'm posting is I'd like your opinion. Do I even have the slightest chance in hell that a department will give me a chance? On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being worst candidate. Where would you rate me?

Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by TeriyakiTyphoon; 07-27-2019, 04:19 AM. Reason: Added more detail

If you are completely open and honest (that is always a big IF) you will probably not be automatically disqualified. You will still be competing against other applicants, and if that includes others with similar qualifications (education work history, volunteer service you mentioned, etc) your "total package" will certainly be compared to what others bring to the table.

What you have described is not all that unusual in modern America. Youthful indiscretions (stupid driving, vandalism), exposure and/or involvement with drugs, are fairly common among those in your age group.

The keys to success will be complete honesty and clearly projecting the image of a young man who has learned from his errors and is genuinely remorseful for his bad decisions.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
      If you are completely open and honest (that is always a big IF) you will probably not be automatically disqualified. You will still be competing against other applicants, and if that includes others with similar qualifications (education work history, volunteer service you mentioned, etc) your "total package" will certainly be compared to what others bring to the table.

What you have described is not all that unusual in modern America. Youthful indiscretions (stupid driving, vandalism), exposure and/or involvement with drugs, are fairly common among those in your age group.

The keys to success will be complete honesty and clearly projecting the image of a young man who has learned from his errors and is genuinely remorseful for his bad decisions.

Good luck.
      Thank you so much for your reply. It's not what I expected to hear, but I am happy to hear it. I absolutely will be completely honest, I understand there is a pattern of bad behavior, I can't justify or excuse any of it. Since 2012, I have moved forward and have been shaping a good pattern of good behavior, education, and honesty. Once again, I appreciate your reply. Cheers!

Comment

The decision making part of your brain isn't even close to be fully developed during the time you were out doing stupid things. There is a reason teenagers and college students do stupid things and engage in risky behavior. Are they asking about all undetected crimes, or all undetected crimes since you turned 18? Be honest and push on.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          The decision making part of your brain isn't even close to be fully developed during the time you were out doing stupid things. There is a reason teenagers and college students do stupid things and engage in risky behavior. Are they asking about all undetected crimes, or all undetected crimes since you turned 18? Be honest and push on.
          Thanks for your reply, just joe. I think I'm generally concerned, cause when I look at all of it listed down. I can't help but to think "Dang, that's a lot".
          To answer your question, sir; The background is asking for all undetected crime.

Comment

You were a knucklehead as a kid. Not as bad as me though.

I agree with everything said so far. You said you've committed 14 undetected crimes. Don't overthink that. A lot of candidates nitpick every single thing they've done and end up looking like a mass murderer because there are so many admissions. You can mention a list of things to a BI and they may stop you mid-sentence if it's all "I took a dollar from my mom's purse when I was 7 and bought ice cream." Just don't get carried away with the little things.

The selling of a prescription narcotic at age 14 doesn't equal being a major drug lord. Street racing and downloading movies should be looked into, but not a deal breaker. The lying to your BI in 2007 at age 20 can be an issue for many agencies. A good thing in your favor is that the lying bothered you so much you immediately came clean. You'll probably do ok if you can show you've learned your lesson and can pass a poly, which shouldn't be a problem if everything is on the table.

Overall, I think some agencies many will overlook much of your background and failing to disclose to your first BI. Some may not. I think you'll be hired at some point. It's really going to be a matter of applying and see where you land.
            Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
            http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Originally posted by LA_Backgrounds View Post
              You were a knucklehead as a kid. Not as bad as me though.

I agree with everything said so far. You said you've committed 14 undetected crimes. Don't overthink that. A lot of candidates nitpick every single thing they've done and end up looking like a mass murderer because there are so many admissions. You can mention a list of things to a BI and they may stop you mid-sentence if it's all "I took a dollar from my mom's purse when I was 7 and bought ice cream." Just don't get carried away with the little things.

The selling of a prescription narcotic at age 14 doesn't equal being a major drug lord. Street racing and downloading movies should be looked into, but not a deal breaker. The lying to your BI in 2007 at age 20 can be an issue for many agencies. A good thing in your favor is that the lying bothered you so much you immediately came clean. You'll probably do ok if you can show you've learned your lesson and can pass a poly, which shouldn't be a problem if everything is on the table.

Overall, I think some agencies many will overlook much of your background and failing to disclose to your first BI. Some may not. I think you'll be hired at some point. It's really going to be a matter of applying and see where you land.
              LA_Backgrounds, thank you for your reply. I may be overthinking all of it, I'm still filling out my background. I think once I submit it, I'll be able to relax. I'm surprised by all of your answers. I was kind of prepared for doom and gloom. Appreciate your reply!

Comment

Hello again everyone,

Quick question, will this posting on this forum with the information above hurt me in background? I intend to disclose my username as a part of the social media questionnaire. I'm not sure if they would appreciate me divulging my history, even if it is a summary. Your thoughts?

Comment

Not s big deal as long as what you disclose is the same as here. Social media is commonplace in 2019. Most BI’s do check social media sites.

Comment

Thank you LA_Background for your swift reply. I had one last additional question, but in the interest of not flooding this thread. Would you mind if I PM'd you? or I can just post it here if you recommend/prefer too.
                    I appreciate your help.

Comment

• TeriyakiTyphoon
                      TeriyakiTyphoon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or PM anyone who wouldn't mind assisting me. Thanks

Originally posted by TeriyakiTyphoon View Post
                    Thank you LA_Background for your swift reply. I had one last additional question, but in the interest of not flooding this thread. Would you mind if I PM'd you? or I can just post it here if you recommend/prefer too.
                    I appreciate your help.
                    Yes, PM is fine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4894 users online. 195 members and 4699 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X