300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background question/concern

Not sure if this is going to be tough to answer, but I figured I'd put this out there and ask.

- When I filled out my personal history investigation packet, they asked if I ever committed any crimes I'd never gotten caught committing. Wanting to be as thorough as possible, I told them that I used 2 to 3 pads of post-its and about 15 notecards from my work's general office supply stockpile. That was mostly for homework that also fell partly into professional development, and I ended up taking some of that home to continue my homework. I actually mentioned this to my manager the other day and he didn't have a problem with it, but I'd already added it to my documentation for the sake of being thorough and up-front.

- When I passed the Oral Board yesterday, I got a Scantron based multiple choice personal history questionnaire. They asked if I'd ever stolen merchandise or goods from an employer, with a "no" option and three separate options involving monetary ranges. Wanting to be consistent with what I'd already submitted, I said "yes" to the option for "under $25."

I wanted to be consistent with what I'd written in the main background packet, which is why I answered the way I did in the questionnaire. Being dishonest in any way wasn't an option.

I guess I'm wondering if I've created a problem for myself such that they'll chuck my package and send me a "no thanks" message, or if I'm going to have an opportunity to explain it to a background detective.
    Last edited by kp23747; 07-22-2019, 02:28 PM.

Most of us have taken notepads, pens, etc for work. Don’t sweat it, just admit it. They will probably laugh and say “No. we mean STEALING”.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• kp23747
      kp23747 commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, thank you for your time!

+ 1000 on what CCCSD wrote.
    I'm embarrassed at the number of gov't pens I have laying around the house. They're actually not very good pens.

I respect your trying to be honest, try not to overthink things. A type A personality (such as myself) have difficulty doing this though. Good luck.

Comment

I'm typing this on a computer I took when I retired. (I kid. )

What everyone said is spot on. Not a big deal. The good thing is you won't have any problem passing a poly because everything is on the table. If I was your BI I wouldn't even mention it during your interview.
      Last edited by LA_Backgrounds; 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM.
      Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
      http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the responses, and I'm glad I paid attention to everyone who's hammered on the importance of being totally up-front, even on stuff that might seem pretty trivial or small. Looking forward to stepping back and letting the process work itself out, regardless of whether I'm selected this time around.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9259 users online. 430 members and 8829 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X