300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral

I was a trooper in ny state but was let go prior to completion of fto. Would my certificate ( academy diploma & other certificates still be valid? If they are valid does anyone know of any agencies that excepts laterals. I was on for less then a yr.

Originally posted by L3o1112 View Post
    I was a trooper in ny state but was let go prior to completion of fto. Would my certificate ( academy diploma & other certificates still be valid? If they are valid does anyone know of any agencies that excepts laterals. I was on for less then a yr.
    totally depends on the state, and how the way you left is considered with your state licensing board

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Have you called your state licensing board to see if your academy certificate is still valid, and for how long?

I don't know if report writing was one of your issues, but it is "accept" and "than" rather than "except" and "then." Not trying to be a dick; stuff like that jumps right out at me.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup.

A significant portion of our job is writing.

I would be surprised if your certificate was invalidated because of your departure without you knowing about it. In my State, you have 1 year to get a job before the Basic certificate expires. After you get a job, you have 1 year to advance to a General certificate, unless that period is extended for training, or one leaves that agency. If they start at another agency the 1 year clock starts over again no matter how far they made it at the first agency. The candidate will have to answer why they left the first agency before obtaining a General certificate.

Comment

I know quite a few depts. that accept laterals, but a lateral is usually considered someone who policed in a comparable sized city for 3 yrs +.
        I believe you would have to repeat an entire Academy if hired elsewhere.

Comment

You are an Academy Graduate. NOT a “lateral”. You didn’t make it to the street and have no experience.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Going to depend on the state you move to. FL for example use to want 1 year experience plus the academy. GA has recently changed and started excepting out of state officers. There's a thread on here about it if interested.

Both states will evaluate your training and experience. If you qualify you'll then have to take a comprehensive exam an pass the high liability areas.

Some departments will have their own standards. GSP, for example wants you to complete the entire academy. Even if you've been a GA certified officer for many years (based on what some troopers have told me).
            Last edited by westside popo; 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

In California your Academy certificate is good for 3 years. You are not a Lateral until you complete Probation/18 months on.

Comment

Typically a “Lateral” is someone who completed probation and is currently in good standing with a police agency. Hence the term. In my state you would be considered a “Certified” officer, depending upon how long ago you separated, but not a lateral. Bottom line, no agency wants to grab someone else’s problem.

Comment

In IL your certification is good for two years after you leave a law enforcement job. After that, you have to repeat the academy. Contact your state training board for the specific details of yours. Failing FTO can be a black mark but by the same token, being a bad fit at one agency doesn't mean you're a bad fit at another. I work with a young officer in a neighboring town who was let go on FTO with one agency and hired with another, where they're doing very well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7251 users online. 350 members and 6901 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X