Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how important is employment history when applying?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how important is employment history when applying?

hey guys - first i wanna say thanks a million to all of you guys who continually answer the questions of those of us who want to become what you already are.
    second, how important is employment history? how much weight does it hold in the hiring process?

my employment history isn't bad, it's just............. i've been working ever since i was 13 - i worked with/for my dad. while working for him, i also worked for friends of his whenever they needed help and they would of course write me a paycheck. well, being it was like that i worked for maybe 5 different people/businesses in this way and i didn't get a job on my own for real money until i was about 17. i then worked maybe 1 or 2 different jobs - mostly part time and temporary (lawncare, etc.) before i got a job working for a contractor which was considered self-employment. i did this for about 7 months and then he lost his biggest contract, so i had to be "layed off". i then just looked for work to make money and it took a job or two and some periods of unemployment before i found what i really wanted to do until i was old enough to get into law enforcement. i've been at my current job for six months and counting - no plans on quitting until i get hired by a pd. i'm currently 20 years old and i want to start applying when i turn 21.

sorry for the long post, but any advice on how to explain all of this? if i just put it down on paper, it looks like i can't keep a job which is in no way the case, lol. do short jobs count? (less than a month or so)? thanks soo much for any help - as you can see, it frustrates even me............
    Dwhite725

It really depends on a lot of different factors. I can only tell you what I've been through because I haven't been hired yet, but there are some aspects which will hurt you if you have a negative employment history.

One factor is your age. If you are older and have had many jobs this can be seen as negative because you don't hold a job well. When you are younger it is expected more someone like that to 1) Not have a lot of jobs and 2) To have several jobs.

Another factor is if you have been fired or not, depending on the circumstances behind it. If you were laid off because of something out of your control then it's normally pretty cool. If you were laid off because you were caught stealing from work and that was the job that you just had, well then it looks really negative. I've been laid off from 2 jobs, but they were over 7 years ago (I'm 27 now) which is ok, but not great. Just make sure that if there is anything negative or anything that you have to explain yourself about you want time to distance yourself between when it occured and when you applied.

Each agency looks at employment history differently. Some one the West Coast want someone with a strong employment history and some on the East Coast, it doesn't matter too much. Again it varies by location and which department you are applying with.

Don't get into trouble at work (i.e. don't be late, show up when you are scheduled, don't get written up, stay out of trouble.) These are the most important things that I could say because for me some of my past employment history affected my applications with some departments, while others it wasn't affected. Good luck!

Comment

because you lost the big contract, you were layed off or fired? quite a difference.

emplyment history is one of the most important issues in backgrounds. if you never had a job, how would they know your work ethics, etc. just be straight up and honest. explain all that you said.

i see a negative in that you don't have much "life experience" as they call it. no military or no college, am i correct? i mean it would be different if you were at your same job since 17 and have been promoted to supervisor. but you've only had short term jobs.

you'll will be going against other candidates who have military and/or college.

Comment

re

no, i've NEVER been fired or anything even close. the contractor i worked for, lost his contract and had to lay off like 8 guys. the contractor had nothing but good things to say about me and i always use him as a reference - we became pretty good friends during the time i worked for him. there was only two jobs i ahd any problems with - both of them, i didn't like the kind of work i was doing and my supervisors didn't reallly like me, but i never got in trouble or had any disciplinary actions happen........
        i have no college or military - i can't afford college right now and the military is just not going to work for me and my wife right now. it's not a real requirement - i'm gonna keep working on learning spanish and do some volunteer work this summer - working to keep kids off drugs in the meantime....... thanks guys for your replies - keep 'em coming.....

Comment

Employment History

In general terms, employment history is a very important consideration in evaluating an applicant. While that's true, it really doesn't apply as much in your situation. When you're attending school, high school or college, education is your primary concern. Certainly you'll hold down some jobs, part time, full time, etc. The important thing here is that you didn't get fired for some misconduct. Being laid off is not the same as being fired. When called upon to do so, list all the employment you've had. Be certain to emphasize that you were attending school etc. Background Investigators aren't going to have a problem with situations like yours.

Comment

thanks

thanks, philipcal - your input's appreciated and it's good to know it shouldn't be too big of a deal

Comment

??

anyone else care to offer their input? sorry guys - my computer froze up and i refreshed the page and reposted accidentally
              Last edited by dwhite725; 05-07-2007, 11:15 PM. Reason: posted too many times

Comment

??

anyone else care to offer their input?

Comment

??

anyone else care to offer their input?

Comment

I don't mean to post my own question, but figured this would be a better place then a new thread.

I have been employed at Target part time through high school and college, for the past 4 years and 7 months with a flawless record. Prior to that, I had one or two little odd jobs that I only did for a very short period of time, I don't even remember when.

Do I need to put down on my Civil Service Exam app under Experience all of these, or should the Target employment suffice?

Also, under college it asks if you have graduated, how many credits, and what degree. I am applying to take the exam while still in college, so marked no for graduated and currently have 85 credits. However, there is nowhere to make that Still in college, etc. How should I signify this?
                    "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you never take."
                    -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Work History

For Exedus. A work history means exactly that. If you can't remember the precise dates of a given job, come as close as you can. You do need to list it though.

Comment

Let me ask this.

I know in employment they look for faithfulness and consistency, not a 1000 different jobs every week.

So, I have one summer left before my senior year and am looking for a job. I am still employed at Target, but wanted to try and earn a bit more per hour. Would it look bad to give my 2 weeks there and do another job just for the summer?

Also, I am an ice hockey referee. I, however, am considered an independent contractor technically for tax purposes. Should I just list myself as an independent contractor for all of the years that I have been doing this? The reason I ask this is because my first few years of doing just kids games, I was paid cash, all under the table. I don't think I made enough anyways to pay taxes. However, now, in the bigger leagues, all is check and taxes are paid. Should I just put it for the years where I was paid by check, or all of them?

Thanks.
                        "You miss one hundred percent of the shots you never take."
                        -Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Originally posted by ask80 View Post
                          you'll will be going against other candidates who have military and/or college.

Many agencies are savy enough to realize that the military will except almost any bum and some people who go through college just get degrees in pot smoking and studying eight balls. Moreover some of the applicants who have applied to my agency got degrees in Zoology and Agricultural Science.

I had neither, and I work for the best paying agency in my county. I showed real world experience by my history of promotions and supervisory experience in the private sector. And by the fact that I have placed in several BJJ competitions. And I am fluent in 2 languages besides English.

dwhite, you should make a list of all the responsibilites you have had and how you handled them. Use that to sell yourself. But don't think that you need to go the military/college route if you want to be a peace officer at this point in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shot View Post
                            Many agencies are savy enough to realize that the military will except almost any bum and some people who go through college just get degrees in pot smoking and studying eight balls. Moreover some of the applicants who have applied to my agency got degrees in Zoology and Agricultural Science.

I had neither, and I work for the best paying agency in my county. I showed real world experience by my history of promotions and supervisory experience in the private sector. And by the fact that I have placed in several BJJ competitions. And I am fluent in 2 languages besides English.

dwhite, you should make a list of all the responsibilites you have had and how you handled them. Use that to sell yourself. But don't think that you need to go the military/college route if you want to be a peace officer at this point in your life.

Let's not forget that not EVERYONE who has been in the military and/or obtained a college degree fits in this category. It seems as though you are lumping people into this category because you know someone like this.
                            Last edited by Dustin H; 05-09-2007, 01:14 AM. Reason: error

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6133 users online. 332 members and 5801 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X