300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Final Attempt

I wanted to get some insight before I make my final attempt at getting recruited.
    As a Juvenile (16 years old), I was charged of a misdemeanor for sending a threatening text message towards my Ex-Girlfriend in the State of Arkansas. Now I am turning 24 in the next month, and there is a recruitment post out for a small local PD in Texas, where I live now. The charge is expunged/sealed and off record completely, but I understand it has no benefits when applying for an LEO position.

I would like to ask for advice how to approach this upcoming test/interview, and should I 100% disclose the entire situation? (The test is on August 2nd, and they are doing a written exam straight into the PT portion and an interview right after.)

I would also like to add that I am/was able to obtain an LTC (License To Carry) and do in fact carry.
    Last edited by Blackhorn; 07-17-2019, 11:16 AM.

Originally posted by Blackhorn View Post
    I wanted to get some insight before I make my final attempt at getting recruited.
    As a Juvenile (16 years old), I was charged of a misdemeanor for sending a threatening text message towards my Ex-Girlfriend in the State of Arkansas. Now I am turning 24 in the next month, and there is a recruitment post out for a small local PD in Texas, where I live now. The charge is expunged/sealed and off record completely, but I understand it has no benefits when applying for an LEO position.

I would like to ask for advice how to approach this upcoming test/interview, and should I 100% disclose the entire situation? (The test is on August 2nd, and they are doing a written exam straight into the PT portion and an interview right after.)

I would also like to add that I am/was able to obtain an LTC (License To Carry) and do in fact carry.
    Really all you can do is explain the situation. Once they're aware of it, and they will be regardless of what you tell them. Comes up on your criminal history. How is the charge worded? Stalking? Were you living together? Have a child together?

That's a tough one. It may or may not be considered Domestic Violence, (kiss of death) and it's 8 yrs ago AND you were an immature kid.
    Very curious what my colleague write. I'm thinking it will be a hurdle but if you don't apply you won't know.

Comment

• Blackhorn
      Blackhorn commented
      Editing a comment
      It was actually a Misdemeanor Terroristic Threatening... Sounds pretty bad, but I found out she cheated on me and sent her texts saying I was going to do harm to her and the guy.

You'll get extra attention on the psych exam. Like I wrote, you won't know if you don't try.

Comment

• Blackhorn
      Blackhorn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for taking time out and giving me this input.

Juveniles do stupid things. There is a reason that there is a juvenile court system and an adult court system. You need to own it, but I wouldn't let it stop me from applying. I assume that there have not been any hiccups since then, correct?

Comment

• Blackhorn
      Blackhorn commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had ZERO problems since then, and not even as much as a speeding ticket.

There are too many variables to give a definitive answer.

The worst they will say is no...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorn
      It was actually a Misdemeanor Terroristic Threatening... Sounds pretty bad, but I found out she cheated on me and sent her texts saying I was going to do harm to her and the guy.
      I realize that people - especially juveniles - often say or write things that they don't actually mean. But sometimes they do carry out their threats.

This just happened a few days ago:

An off-duty Newark police lieutenant is accused of killing his ex-wife and wounding another man in Morris County.

The county prosecutor says that Newark police Lt. John Formisano, 49, is accused of killing his estranged wife, identified as 37-year-old Christine Formisano. Lt. Formisano is also accused of shooting a 40-year-old man multiple times. That man was not identified.

The shooting happened Sunday around 11:20 p.m. outside a home on Mirror Place. Authorities say police officers responded to reports of a women’s body lying on the front porch steps of the home.

Lt. Formisano was arrested several hours later, in a parking lot in Livingston. It is believed that Lt. Formisano’s parents live in the town. Officials say that the gun believed to have used in the killing was found inside of Lt. Formisano’s vehicle.

The Formisanos’ children were home at the time of the incident, but were not hurt.

Lt. Formisano faces murder, attempted murder and endangering the welfare of a child, among other charges.

Newark Public Safety Director Anthony Ambrose released a statement following the arrest.

“The Newark Public Safety Department is deeply saddened by the family tragedy involving Newark Police Lt. John Formisano. Our foremost concern, of course, is for the couple’s two children who have lost their mother and for the family of the victim," Ambrose said.

The statement continued, “Lt. Formisano’s colleagues in our police division were shocked by the news of the shooting and we recognize it this is a tragedy beyond comprehension for all involved.”

Can you imagine the hot water Newark PD would be in right now if this lieutenant had been hired with a history such as yours? All you'd hear is: "He threatened his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend when he was sixteen. Newark hired him and gave him a gun...and now he murdered his ex-wife and attempted to kill her boyfriend."

This story is the perfect example of why hiring anybody with any type of DV history is a HUGE liability. We wouldn't touch you. Desperate agencies might.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorn View Post

I would like to ask for advice how to approach this upcoming test/interview, and should I 100% disclose the entire situation?

This is not a real question, correct? If it is you shouldn't apply at any agency if you need to ask a group of police officers if you should be 100% honest during the hiring process

That being said: Your situation is problematic. On the one hand it could be argued that you were an immature kid that did something stupid. One the other that what you did was threatening someone who you were in a dating relationship with.

Most BI's I know will only tell you there's no definitive answer until a background investigator sees any documentation, speaks to the ex and any witnesses, etc. in order to determine how serious they took your actions. So the answer is you'll just have to apply and see where the chips land.

Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
        http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Depending on what the threat were it could be a felony or misdemeanor here. Did you threaten to kill, rape or burn them etc or to beat them up?

Either way it definitely won't help. Some places may be desperate for help but still be very selective. Other departments may be willing to give you a chance though.

Comment

Disclose everything. If they find out on their own, and they very likely will, it'll be an auto-dq for lying on your application. I don't know the specific circumstances of your prior charge; 16 year olds say and do stupid things sometimes and 8 years separation is a gulf of distance. Only way you'll know for sure if you can get hired is to apply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10693 users online. 495 members and 10198 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X