300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possession - how are my chances?

I'm just gonna be honest. Back when I was fifteen I was caught with marijuana on school grounds. I entered a diversion program, and because of that I was wasn't convicted. They also said because it's on my criminal history and not my criminal record, that I don't have to say I was convicted of anything when employers ask (I know and I am planning to still be honest and disclose it). The paper I received said the only people who can view it are the police and the court. I know this barely means anything in the eyes of law enforcement, but Washington also destroys juvenile records at eighteen if diversion was successfully completed.

I plan on doing AmeriCorps and then a four-year in criminal justice. After that, I want to qualify at a GS-5 level and join CBP. I've looked at their requirements and the only disqualifers are convictions related to domestic violence. Even then, how much will my 'past' post an issue?

It will be a big issue but it won’t be a show stopper everywhere if you maintain an otherwise clean record, have a college education and good employment history..

What draws you to wanting to do CBP? You are an unlikely candidate for federal LE given your criminal history with marijuana since it is still illegal federally. However, marijuana is now legal in WA. That doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue in your background but local WA agencies will most likely be a little more forgiving.

Also, don’t get your degree in criminal justice. Especially since you may or may not be able to have a future career in law enforcement....

Comment

• SR512
      SR512 commented
      Editing a comment
      Marijuana has been legal in WA. It was illegal for me because I was fifteen. Is it really worth not getting my degree because I "may or may not be able" to get hired? Wouldn't the best bet to be at least try?

• NorCalAspirant
      NorCalAspirant commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t say to not get your degree. I said get your degree in something other than criminal justice. If you can’t become a law enforcement officer then it’s a useless degree. Get your degree in a stem field or business.

• SR512
      SR512 commented
      Editing a comment
      The official answer to "Will any illegal drug use preclude me from obtaining a federal law enforcement position with CBP?" is "No. However, any use of marijuana, anabolic steroids, or misuse of prescription drugs within two (2) years of applying for a position with CBP will disqualify an applicant from further consideration in the hiring process." I'll take my chances with a criminal justice degree, it's been well over two years since my last usage.

It won't be a big deal. You were fifteen.

Where I live, devil's herb is sold like coffee beans.... in jars on shelves in stores.

Get the degree in whatever you want. Be awesome and live the dream.
    There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

I clicked on this thread hoping fro a more interesting possession. Like, maybe a head-spinning, pea-soup-spewing, Excorcist-level possession. Now, THAT would be an interesting hiring question!

For yours, it'll be a very minor issue if any. Unless you were carrying a bale of weed on you, a pot possession when you were 15 is less serious than a 10 year old speeding ticket. Most agencies expect marijuana to pop up on the background somewhere...I, for example, am the rare candidate who never smoked pot, and I always got the "liar!" look when I said it during polygraph/CVSA and background interviews.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        ....... ...

Criminal scum

Comment

Originally posted by SR512 View Post
        I'm just gonna be honest. Back when I was fifteen I was caught with marijuana on school grounds. I entered a diversion program, and because of that I was wasn't convicted. They also said because it's on my criminal history and not my criminal record, that I don't have to say I was convicted of anything when employers ask (I know and I am planning to still be honest and disclose it). The paper I received said the only people who can view it are the police and the court. I know this barely means anything in the eyes of law enforcement, but Washington also destroys juvenile records at eighteen if diversion was successfully completed.

I plan on doing AmeriCorps and then a four-year in criminal justice. After that, I want to qualify at a GS-5 level and join CBP. I've looked at their requirements and the only disqualifers are convictions related to domestic violence. Even then, how much will my 'past' post an issue?
        Don't sweat it. The vast majority of agencies will consider it a "youthful indiscretion". Many teenagers have smoked pot at one point. You happened to be one of the unlucky few who were actually caught and charged.

That being said, how frequent was your MJ use? Did you stop smoking after the arrest? And if not, how old were you when you stopped? Any other drug usage?

Comment

Originally posted by SR512 View Post

How much did you have on you? Just enough for personal use or enough for intent to distribute? If it was just a small amount I don't see it as a major hurdle.
          Study Spanish, CBP is hiring like crazy. Good luck to you!

Comment

Answering some questions, I've quit since I got caught and this is my two year's sober. I quit at fifteen. I received the charge for personal use and not intent to distribute. I had barely a gram so the charge was for paraphernalia. I haven't had anything since then any more than a cup of coffee.

Comment

So you’re 17?
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• SR512
                SR512 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I'm 17.

It's not insurmountable.

Comment

Stop doing illegal drugs, apply when you're old enough.

Comment

At age 15 it's not a big deal. The fact that "they" said you don't have to disclose it is mildly interesting because the majority of stuff you disclose isn't documented anywhere. However, you'll test dirty on a poly or one of your references will remember. So, you'll need to disclose it on law enforcement applications because the disclosure laws that apply to civilian applications don't apply to police apps. Overall, not a major issue.
                  LAPD Background & Forums Site

Comment

By the time you are old enough to apply, it is not even going to be a blip on anyone's radar.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12164 users online. 479 members and 11685 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X