300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

You can try but nothing that requires a security clearance will be open to you... including promotion to senior ranks and sensitive positions where security clearances become required where they weren't before.

For example, you could be a cook... but never a drill sergeant or recruiter, virtually required boxes to check for promotion to senior ranks.
    I'll have a talk with my recruiters and see what my options are. I will tell them what you told me.

Comment

Originally posted by train32 View Post

I'll have a talk with my recruiters and see what my options are. I will tell them what you told me.
      A lot of recruiters will tell you anything, in order to get you to sign.

If you fall for it, this could be you:

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

LOL! That's actually really funny. Well i'll talk the recruiters and sit down with my dad and maybe start planning another career path if i don't get any good feelings or information about the service.

I appreciate everyone's answers. I appreciate you guys being bluntly honest with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

That will be you regardless. Somebody has to do it....
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

LOL! That's actually really funny. Well i'll talk the recruiters and sit down with my dad and maybe start planning another career path if i don't get any good feelings or information about the service.

I appreciate everyone's answers. I appreciate you guys being bluntly honest with me.
            Actually it's not funny. I promise. Add 110 degree heat.

I've never heard of 'Honorably Discharged' from probation. What is that exactly? A Nevada term?

If you really want to do military, go for any of them and go with who takes you. Unfortunately for you there is a draw down going on right now so they can afford to be picky.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go to HVAC school. They make serious $$$$
            Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post

Actually it's not funny. I promise. Add 110 degree heat.

I've never heard of 'Honorably Discharged' from probation. What is that exactly? A Nevada term?

If you really want to do military, go for any of them and go with who takes you. Unfortunately for you there is a draw down going on right now so they can't afford to be picky.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go to HVAC school. They make serious $$$$
              Yeah honorably discharged basically just means you successfully completed your probation without breaking any laws or rules. & I'm afraid of the marines, i feel that might be the only one that won't care about my record though. I am considering the heavy equipment operators union since there will be alot of construction where i live. enough to employ an operator for 10-15 years.

Comment

Marines have standards, as do ALL Branches. You will NEVER be enlisted into the Coast Guard with your history.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You could try Portland PD. They are lowering their standards. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                    You could try Portland PD. They are lowering their standards. The worst that can happen is they say no.
                    How are they lowering their standards?

Comment

A law enforcement career is not in your future. A background investigator doesn’t care what you plead guilty to. It is what you were arrested for that is the issue. You would forever be a Brady cop if you ever got hired.

But here’s the thing, you don’t need to be a cop to be a successful person. If you can join the military, do it and serve honorably there. If you decide to make it a career then more power to you. If you decide to pursue something else, then go for it.

If you live a lawful life and earn an honest living, you are a good person in my book.

Comment

Yeah honorably discharged basically just means you successfully completed your probation without breaking any laws or rules. & I'm afraid of the marines, i feel that might be the only one that won't care about my record though. I am considering the heavy equipment operators union since there will be alot of construction where i live. enough to employ an operator for 10-15 years.
                        If you were my kid I would do everything I could to 'influence' you to go with something like that. My preference is HVAC but I had a little experience in that in the Army. Plumbing is nasty but also pays very very well. If you can get into a union all the better.

You talk about wishing that life had a 'redo' button. I wished that many times, mostly w/ assignments I thought I wanted and it turned out for the best in the end that I didn't get the assignment. I interviewed to go back to Vice and shortly after half the unit executed an illegal warrant. Several lost their jobs and were either fired or forced to retire.

Comment

There are Heavy Equipment operators in the Corps.,....but if you’re deep down scared of the training, you’ll fail; guaranteed.

And yes, the Corps. does turn away unqualified recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post
                            A law enforcement career is not in your future. A background investigator doesn’t care what you plead guilty to. It is what you were arrested for that is the issue. You would forever be a Brady cop if you ever got hired.

But here’s the thing, you don’t need to be a cop to be a successful person. If you can join the military, do it and serve honorably there. If you decide to make it a career then more power to you. If you decide to pursue something else, then go for it.

If you live a lawful life and earn an honest living, you are a good person in my book.
                            Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                            Based on what these guys are saying, Portland PD would have to be extremely desperate to hire me based on what i went through with my case. But i'll look into it with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post

If you were my kid I would do everything I could to 'influence' you to go with something like that. My preference is HVAC but I had a little experience in that in the Army. Plumbing is nasty but also pays very very well. If you can get into a union all the better.

You talk about wishing that life had a 'redo' button. I wished that many times, mostly w/ assignments I thought I wanted and it turned out for the best in the end that I didn't get the assignment. I interviewed to go back to Vice and shortly after half the unit executed an illegal warrant. Several lost their jobs and were either fired or forced to retire.
                            Man i'd really hate to have lost my career in LE like that. After someone in this post told me that i may not ever get a security clearance, i have been considering jobs like cooks, plumbers, etc... But the problem with that is, it's contracted and i may be utterly miserable and can't back out. That's what i'm afraid of with going into the service. I might just have to cut my losses and accept the fact that maybe i was never meant to be in law enforcement or a reputable position in the military. Who knows maybe i could have gotten shot in the line of duty my first week on patrol. Idk...

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Based on what these guys are saying, Portland PD would have to be extremely desperate to hire me based on what i went through with my case. But i'll look into it with a grain of salt.

Man i'd really hate to have lost my career in LE like that. After someone in this post told me that i may not ever get a security clearance, i have been considering jobs like cooks, plumbers, etc... But the problem with that is, it's contracted and i may be utterly miserable and can't back out. That's what i'm afraid of with going into the service. I might just have to cut my losses and accept the fact that maybe i was never meant to be in law enforcement or a reputable position in the military. Who knows maybe i could have gotten shot in the line of duty my first week on patrol. Idk...
                              That last sentence was stupid.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I was talking about civilian jobs in HVAC, Plumbing etc

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11703 users online. 456 members and 11247 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X