300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i disqualified forever?

So, i am going to make this as short and to the point as i possibly can. I feel very uncomfortable putting my embarrassing business out in the open on a forum but It is public knowledge and will be out in the open if i ever where to apply as a LEO. I welcome all opinions, even the unnecessarily harsh ones. However i would ask that you respect that i am just being 100% honest and seeking real and true information from actual current or previous law enforcement officers & or background investigators.

I know that not enough time has passed. I'm not expecting anyone to even look at me seriously as an applicant for 10, 20 or even 30 years if ever at all...

Basically before you read everything. My question is, will i ever in the future have a chance at any form of law enforcement other than bail enforcement.
    My original goal was to join the Air Force which i currently qualify for with a waiver, or Army without having to file for a waver according to my recruiters.
    I am trying to do great things with my life, as i was before this situation but it just didn't work out as planned. I was talking to a police recruiter and military recruiter before everything happened. I was trying to decide which path i wanted to take.

My history...

When i was 18 i was a senior in high-school. I was dating a freshman(14 y/o). Police where called by the victims mother and i was arrested some many months later. Ignorance IS NOT an excuse to the law at all. But as an 18 year old senior in high-school, i did not see the issues with that until it was explained to me by a detective. I didn't want to go to prison, and as a young adult being told that my life was over by other in-mates i thought my only hope was to sign a deal, and i did. I plead guilty as part of the plea deal and I was sentenced to 4 years probation with 2 suspended felonies (Sexually motivated Coercion and Statutory Sexual Seduction) I had to register as a sex offender for those 4 years of probation. I successfully passed my polygraphs during probation and successfully completed counseling. I followed all rules and stipulations the best that i could. Therefore i was honorably discharged from probation with no violations and no run-ins with law enforcement other than a couple moving violations within those 4 years.

After being honorably discharged from probation my entire plea was WITHDRAN and AMENDED. So my 2 suspended felonies where then immediately withdrawn and i then plead guilty to 2 Gross Misdemeanor charges of Conspiracy to Commit Coercion and Child Abuse, Neglect or endangerment as it was part of the plea deal. All of my rights where restored including my firearm(I have 2 firearms now and carry every day as i practice being a law abiding citizen), as well as i was taken off of the sex offender registry and was no longer considered a felon. A few months after my judgement of conviction of those 2 Gross Misdemeanors i later spoke with my lawyer and the D.A. in my case face to face outside of the court room. They then spoke to the judge and all parties agreed to WITHDRAW my last guilty plea of 2 Gross Misdemeanors and AMEND the 2 Gross Misdemeanors to 1 Gross Misdemeanor. As my record stands to this day, i currently by law, have only plead to guilty to a single Gross Misdemeanor count of Conspiracy to Commit a Misdemeanor(Conspiracy to Commit a Crime in some definitions) unsealed. The D.A. told me that if my Military or future police recruiters have any concerns about my record that i should tell them to call him directly as he gave me his card with a smile. Made me feel really good about myself, anyway.

I have not sealed my record yet but have plans to do so as soon as i am eligible. My state does not allow record expungement, only to be sealed.

- I was arrested when i was 19.

- I was sentenced to probation in April of 2015.

- I was honorably discharged from probation in May of 2018 and withdrawn and amended, thus restoring all of my rights including firearms and removing me from the sex offender registry list.

- My charges where withdrawn and amended again on Jan. 7th 2019 to the 1 Gross Misdemeanor, Conspiracy to Commit a Misdemeanor. Remember amended means changed basically as my lawyer puts it. "And your conviction was not merely reduced: your felony plea was WITHDRAWN, which means, under the State law, it is like it never happened." However i am unsure on how much law enforcement works with these "technicals". If it's by law that would mean the felonies cannot be used against me i presume. But i doubt it works that way.

- I turn 25 in November of 2019.

I know that not enough time has passed. I'm not expecting anyone to even look at me seriously as an applicant for 10, 20 or even 30 years if ever at all...

I am being 100% honest and giving as much information as i can without writing you a book. I know that i cannot receive accurate answers without giving accurate information.

I should also make a note. As i am 24, the victim in my case is now 20 and we are good long distance friends now after she got in contact with me about 8 months after my honorable discharge from probation. Not sure if this hurts or helps my case but it's public knowledge.
    Last edited by train32; 07-08-2019, 01:14 AM.

Originally posted by train32 View Post
    So, i am going to make this as short and to the point as i possibly can. I feel very uncomfortable putting my embarrassing business out in the open on a forum but It is public knowledge and will be out in the open if i ever where to apply as a LEO. I welcome all opinions, even the unnecessarily harsh ones. However i would ask that you respect that i am just being 100% honest and seeking real and true information from actual current or previous law enforcement officers & or background investigators.

Basically before you read everything. My question is, will i ever in the future have a chance at any form of law enforcement other than bail enforcement.
    My original goal was to join the Air Force which i currently qualify for with a waiver, or Army without having to file for a waver according to my recruiters.
    I am trying to do great things with my life, as i was before this situation but it just didn't work out as planned. I was talking to a police recruiter and military recruiter before everything happened. I was trying to decide which path i wanted to take.

My history...

When i was 18 i was a senior in high-school. I was dating a freshman(14 y/o). Police where called by the victims mother and i was arrested some many months later. Ignorance IS NOT an excuse to the law at all. But as an 18 year old senior in high-school, i did not see the issues with that until it was explained to me by a detective. I didn't want to go to prison, and as a young adult being told that my life was over by other in-mates i thought my only hope was to sign a deal, and i did. I plead guilty as part of the plea deal and I was sentenced to 4 years probation with 2 suspended felonies (Sexually motivated Coercion and Statutory Sexual Seduction) I had to register as a sex offender for those 4 years of probation. I successfully passed my polygraphs during probation and successfully completed counseling. I followed all rules and stipulations the best that i could. Therefore i was honorably discharged from probation with no violations and no run-ins with law enforcement other than a couple moving violations within those 4 years.

After being honorably discharged from probation my entire plea was WITHDRAN and AMENDED. So my 2 suspended felonies where then immediately withdrawn and i then plead guilty to 2 Gross Misdemeanor charges of Conspiracy to Commit Coercion and Child Abuse, Neglect or endangerment as it was part of the plea deal. All of my rights where restored including my firearm(I have 2 firearms now and carry every day as i practice being a law abiding citizen), as well as i was taken off of the sex offender registry and was no longer considered a felon. A few months after my judgement of conviction of those 2 Gross Misdemeanors i later spoke with my lawyer and the D.A. in my case face to face outside of the court room. They then spoke to the judge and all parties agreed to WITHDRAW my last guilty plea of 2 Gross Misdemeanors and AMEND the 2 Gross Misdemeanors to 1 Gross Misdemeanor. As my record stands to this day, i currently by law, have only plead to guilty to a single Gross Misdemeanor count of Conspiracy to Commit a Misdemeanor(Conspiracy to Commit a Crime in some definitions) unsealed. The D.A. told me that if my Military or future police recruiters have any concerns about my record that i should tell them to call him directly as he gave me his card with a smile. Made me feel really good about myself, anyway.

I have not sealed my record yet but have plans to do so as soon as i am eligible. My state does not allow record expungement, only to be sealed.

- I was arrested when i was 19.

- I was sentenced to probation in April of 2015.

- I was honorably discharged from probation in May of 2018 and withdrawn and amended, thus restoring all of my rights including firearms and removing me from the sex offender registry list.

- My charges where withdrawn and amended again on Jan. 7th 2019 to the 1 Gross Misdemeanor, Conspiracy to Commit a Misdemeanor. Remember amended means changed basically as my lawyer puts it. "And your conviction was not merely reduced: your felony plea was WITHDRAWN, which means, under the State law, it is like it never happened." However i am unsure on how much law enforcement works with these "technicals". If it's by law that would mean the felonies cannot be used against me i presume. But i doubt it works that way.

- I turn 25 in November of 2019.

I am being 100% honest and giving as much information as i can without writing you a book. I know that i cannot receive accurate answers without giving accurate information.

I should also make a note. As i am 24, the victim in my case is now 20 and we are good long distance friends now after she got in contact with me about 8 months after my honorable discharge from probation. Not sure if this hurts or helps my case but it's public knowledge.
    Oof

Comment

So, here you would most likely be toast. How things are viewed in the criminal world (i.e. the courts) and in LE for employment purposes are completely different. As an example, every police background I've conducted asks they questions "have you ever committed" vs "been convicted of." We look at the person and the incident itself. It makes no difference if it was expunged, sealed, dismissed, etc. What matters is did it happen.

The fact that the DA smiled and gave you a card is meaningless honestly. Each state has its own standards as does each agency. For example, the state may say "25 usages of marijuana" but the agency is more restrictive. You don't have a right to employment as a police officer.

The biggest issue you will face is the type of crime you were convicted of. We as police are regularly put into positions of trust, often with vulnerable, incapacitated or other care/custody situations. It is hard enough when a cop with an impeccable record and no questionable sexual history gets accused of an improper act. Like you said, your record is public record so good luck finding a chief/sheriff/admin willing to take the risk that your history would come to light. All it would take is one drunk saying you grouped her because she's 17 and your in your 20's and then the press starts digging and Chief Took-a-Chance has to answer why he employed a prior sexual predatory (press/media sensationalism.)

Comment

Like careerchange stated.....................You are most likely toast for any job in law enforcement. Anywhere
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Is she hot?
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

An LE career is not in your future.

Comment

1) Nobody is going to hire a convicted sex offender. Ever. It's not something where "time heals all wounds". It's too much of a liability for any department. -- not because there's a likelihood of you re-offending, but because it simply "looks bad". The public and media are absolutely unforgiving.

2) Out of curiosity, what state was this in? Evidently it was a crime there...but in some states an 18-year-old having sex with a 14-year-old would fall under a "close in age" exception (often referred to as "Romeo and Juliet laws") and you would have been fine. I have zero tolerance for crimes against children... and I personally don't condone high school seniors dating freshmen. HOWEVER, I don't think that conduct warrants multiple felony charges. In my opinion, you got a raw deal. Life isn't always fair.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
                1) Nobody is going to hire a convicted sex offender. Ever. It's not something where "time heals all wounds". It's too much of a liability for any department. -- not because there's a likelihood of you re-offending, but because it simply "looks bad". The public and media are absolutely unforgiving.

2) Out of curiosity, what state was this in? Evidently it was a crime there...but in some states an 18-year-old having sex with a 14-year-old would fall under a "close in age" exception (often referred to as "Romeo and Juliet laws") and you would have been fine. I have zero tolerance for crimes against children... and I personally don't condone high school seniors dating freshmen. HOWEVER, I don't think that conduct warrants multiple felony charges. In my opinion, you got a raw deal. Life isn't always fair.
                State of nevada. And i think i know that you mean "Nobody is going to hire anyone whos ever been a convicted sex offender" But i must emphasis that i am no longer that anymore as it was only stipulated during probation.

I also appreciate all of your responses, looking forward to hearing more.

Comment

In the eyes of the court you are no longer a convicted sex offender, which is a legal standing.
                  In terms of LE hiring, the court of public appearance/opinion and any use of force/civil lawsuit/IA complaints/etc you are and will always be a convicted sex offender.
                  Look at the number of cops who gets bogus complaints and they are brought up later in life.....such as "this is Officer Career Changes 3rd use of force....." "Officer career change was accused of misconduct in the past..." doesn't matter if everything was on the up and up, it's emotions that will matter.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                    In the eyes of the court you are no longer a convicted sex offender, which is a legal standing.
                    In terms of LE hiring, the court of public appearance/opinion and any use of force/civil lawsuit/IA complaints/etc you are and will always be a convicted sex offender.
                    Look at the number of cops who gets bogus complaints and they are brought up later in life.....such as "this is Officer Career Changes 3rd use of force....." "Officer career change was accused of misconduct in the past..." doesn't matter if everything was on the up and up, it's emotions that will matter.
                    I see.. Might just have to go ahead and join the military on this one. I don't wanna give up on LE but at the same time i see what you all are saying. I might just do 20 years(or how ever long i can stand it) in the military as security forces or military police and maybe try to apply when im a retired vet.

Based on what you guys are saying, i've got no chance right now or possibly ever. And if i do, it will be very hard finding a sheriffs department to take me in with the possibility of political scrutiny on the department if i mess up or get accused of wrong doing and someone digs too deep into my past.

Comment

That's exactly what we are saying, and the military might not even be an option. The recruiter will tell you lots of things but if you go into an MOS like security forces or MP there will be a background check, usually a very in-depth one and your past may prevent you from obtaining a security clearance. I'd be shocked honestly if your past wouldn't preclude you from a secret or top secret clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                        That's exactly what we are saying, and the military might not even be an option. The recruiter will tell you lots of things but if you go into an MOS like security forces or MP there will be a background check, usually a very in-depth one and your past may prevent you from obtaining a security clearance. I'd be shocked honestly if your past wouldn't preclude you from a secret or top secret clearance.
                        Oh boy.. This sucks... I wish life had a redo button.

Comment

I have done background investigations also, and I'll echo what others have already said.

You're never going to be a cop.

Regarding the largest issue (your sex crime), it doesn't matter how it got finagled at court, what matters is what happened. 18 years old is an adult. 14 years old is usually 8th grade (which is MIDDLE school) and 9th grade. As others have been pointed out, it doesn't mean that you are a bad person, it's just that there is no way to put a positive spin on an adult having sex with a middle school aged child.
                          The reason that this is a big deal, is because legally, children of that age do not have the ability to give consent to sex with adults, and sex in the absence of consent is rape. If a sexual accusation was ever aired out in the media, the media would refer to you as a child rapist.
                          We work with a great deal of autonomy, with very little direct supervision, in very sensitive situations, and sexual accusations get made. No police agency is going to be willing to assume the potential liability of having to attempt to defend a child rapist every time a sexual accusation is made.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                            I have done background investigations also, and I'll echo what others have already said.

You're never going to be a cop.

Regarding the largest issue (your sex crime), it doesn't matter how it got finagled at court, what matters is what happened. 18 years old is an adult. 14 years old is usually 8th grade (which is MIDDLE school) and 9th grade. As others have been pointed out, it doesn't mean that you are a bad person, it's just that there is no way to put a positive spin on an adult having sex with a middle school aged child.
                            The reason that this is a big deal, is because legally, children of that age do not have the ability to give consent to sex with adults, and sex in the absence of consent is rape. If a sexual accusation was ever aired out in the media, the media would refer to you as a child rapist.
                            We work with a great deal of autonomy, with very little direct supervision, in very sensitive situations, and sexual accusations get made. No police agency is going to be willing to assume the potential liability of having to attempt to defend a child rapist every time a sexual accusation is made.
                            Makes me sad, but i understand.

Comment

Originally posted by train32 View Post

I see.. Might just have to go ahead and join the military on this one. I don't wanna give up on LE but at the same time i see what you all are saying. .
                              You can try but nothing that requires a security clearance will be open to you... including promotion to senior ranks and sensitive positions where security clearances become required where they weren't before.

For example, you could be a cook... but never a drill sergeant or recruiter, virtually required boxes to check for promotion to senior ranks.
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10270 users online. 488 members and 9782 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X