300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I even bother ?

I guess I am writing on here to get some information, also to find out what kind of chances I would have of ever getting hired. I know you get many of these posts on here but what the heck. Here goes nothing.

I am 32 years old, married with 3 kids. I have been married for over 8 years. I will give you the negatives about me first.

1. I have had many credit issues in the past ranging from late payments to judgements. I have never filed for bankruptcy.

2. I have had 2 speeding tickets and had my license suspended twice in the past 5 years. The suspended lic. was due to failing to pay tickets. I will not make any excuses for that. The tickets were paid within a day or two of each suspension, and the license was reinstated. There were some license issues over 10 years ago that I can't find any information on. I have went to the state DMV, but other than Alcohol and revocation related items, they fall off the official record after 5 years.

Those are the most glaring negatives about me.

Here are the positives.

1. I have an honorable discharge from the military. (Army 1998-2002)

2. I have 60 semester hours of college credits. (no degree)

3. I currently have all the past credit issues worked out. I dont have any outstanding debts, and my credit score is on the rise. Currently it's at 650. Within 6 months it should be close to 700 if the same trend continues. The last time that I had a late payment was 9 months ago.

4. I am self employed and run my own appraisal business where I deal with people on a day to day basis. I currently make about 60K per year. So you ask why do I want to apply for jobs making half that.

My simple answer is this. No matter how much money I make right now I still wake up with an empty feeling in my stomach. I really want to do something that I can be proud of and make a difference. Right now it feels as if I am in a daily grind to make money. I just dont feel any real substance in what I am doing. I have always looked at the police profession with respect and I have to say some envy. I believe its a noble career choice that I can be proud of.

So there is a snapshot of my situation. If any of you would feel so kind as to give me any feedback no matter if it's good or bad I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know how much this matters but I would like to add that I currently have very little debt. I have a mortgage and $1000 on a credit card. Both are current and up to date. That is the extent of my current debt load.

Comment

Originally posted by mcurry5 View Post
      I guess I am writing on here to get some information, also to find out what kind of chances I would have of ever getting hired. I know you get many of these posts on here but what the heck. Here goes nothing.

I am 32 years old, married with 3 kids. I have been married for over 8 years. I will give you the negatives about me first.

1. I have had many credit issues in the past ranging from late payments to judgements. I have never filed for bankruptcy.

2. I have had 2 speeding tickets and had my license suspended twice in the past 5 years. The suspended lic. was due to failing to pay tickets. I will not make any excuses for that. The tickets were paid within a day or two of each suspension, and the license was reinstated. There were some license issues over 10 years ago that I can't find any information on. I have went to the state DMV, but other than Alcohol and revocation related items, they fall off the official record after 5 years.

What "judgements"? Collection? 2 suspensions doesn't look good at all and being recent is a problem. Having your license supsended is different than being revoked, so which is it? What alcohol item, as you don't make mention of it till the end. Without clarity, it's hard to say, but it looks like red flags. You might not be able to get into city or a municipal police, but you could try a sheriff's department. No knock on sheriff's, just some aren't as "picky" as municipalities. Others can give more info but please clarify those areas.

Comment

OK, Sorry the post was confusing. My license has never been revoked. It was suspended for failure to pay a fine. I have never had any alcohol related citations. I was trying to say that in MN anything that is 5 years or older is removed from your driving record EXCEPT if you have had a DUI/DWI or your license has been revoked.

As far as the judgements/collection, I have had a bill that I didnt pay a long time ago that turned into a Judgement/collection. All past bad credit issues have been paid. The only items that I currently owe are $1000 on a credit card which is in good standing and current with the payments, and my mortgage. I have both cars paid off and no other credit card debt. Pretty much debt free. The only moving violations that I have had are the 2 speeding tickets. There have been no other moving violations in the past 7 years.

I hope that cleared up the post. Sorry, I am a little tired. I should have clarified it better.

Comment

Not to seem to harsh, but it appears to me there are still "a few" things you are not wanting to come out and talk about. The Background Investigator will expect you to put EVERY traffic related citation you have EVER gotten. Just because you think things have "fallen off" after a period of time and they dont matter or the BI will not be able to find out is untrue. Failure to disclose ALL information wether it be traffic related or otherwise will result in an automatic DQ and will likely ruin your chances at other departments as well. You are best to list everything because your BI WILL find out. Good luck to you.

Comment

Smitty, I just wanted to write the most negative things about me to see if I should even bother moving foward. Since I was 18, I have had 4 moving violations. Two of which occured in the last 5 years. I have not had any alcohol related incidents. I guess I was trying to relay what was the worst about me. How do I find the dates and what not for anything prior to the last 5 years ? I asked the DMV and they said that I cant. That the record they gave me was the official record. So how would I go about finding stuff out about me from 14 years ago ?

Comment

Should I even bother?

Go ahead and apply, but keep in mind, that you're not an ideal candidate. The credit issues, and the driver's history are not going to help you. Another poster noted, and I agree, that you need to fully disclose your driving record, as well as the past credit issues. While it's true that motor vehicle violations "drop" after 3-5 years, they can still be accessed by a Background Investigator. As a BI, I would take a very close look at your past indebtedness, but I would take an equally close look at how you're currently handling your bills. You have to understand that there are no guarantees here. What I'm looking at is two seperate issues that could DQ you. Were it just one issue, it wouldn't be as much of a potential problem. Okay, bottom line. Apply, shoot your best shot. Remember, full disclosure. No B.S. No excuses, no rationalizing. Worse thing an agency can say is No.

Comment

Im 33. I've only had two traffic citations in my entire life so it was easy for me to remember each and approximate dates. If you have a good idea of when/where something took place but you cant remember specifics then just put what you do remember about the incident(s). I dont know how the BI obtains the data that has fallen off the DMV after a certain length of time but I do know they can and they will get that information.

Also, you will have to take a polygraph with most departments and in most states. One of the main questions that is asked almost 100% of the time was if you were completely honest on filling out your background packet and if you intentionally omitted or falsified any information. I'm not saying that I agree or support the poly in anyway. Thats another story, but it will be an almost automatic DQ if you are overly nervous on that question and you show deception. Especially, if your BI also uncovers some stuff about you that you failed to disclose. Not that you are or would do that intentionally. I'm just trying to give you a little insight to the process.

The process of becoming a police officer is very indepth and time consuming and alot of people have to apply several times to get on somewhere. The key, at least what I believe, is to just get on somewhere. Get your foot in the door and go from there. Good Luck to you!

Comment

Each agency has it's ownthoughts on who is the ideal candidate. If you're honest and up front, most agencies will let you know if your past is too much. They want EVERYTHING you have before they start spending money on BIs, polys, and meds because they don't want to waste your time or their money on an unsuitable candidate. Many officers have not fit the mold but worked long, successful LE careers. Don't get your hopes up too high, but at least try.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate the feedback. I am hoping that since my credit issues have been resolved and I have virtually zero debt with about 75K in equity in my house. Those positives would be in my favor as I have shown the ability to right my bad credit. I do worry about the driving record, although nothing on it is an automatic DQ, its not a perfect record.

Hopefully with the 60 college credits and 4 years in military will offset the negative factors. I have taken one written exam with a department and scored a 92, I also will be able to add 5 verterans points to that for a total of 97. Hopefully that will mitigate some of the negative factors as well.

I do plan on disclosing all of my prior history, as I have nothing to lose. I am currently in a pretty good situation financially as far as income and very little debt. This factor alone makes me less nervous when going to the oral boards and what not because I am not in a desperate situation, just looking to change to a more fullfilling career. I can see how some prospective applicants can get pretty nervous if they dont currently have a job to pay bills or own a house ect... as this would make me nervous as well if my livelyhood were on the line.

I am hoping the good will out way the bad with me, as I am a good person that has never committed any crimes, DUIs, ect... So hopefully there is still room for a person that has had some issues but has righted the ship.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Comment

All you can do is atleast try, as long as you are honest and admit your mistakes you are taking responsibility and that is somehting I would want in a good P.O, not someone that will assume he won't make it. You try and keep your head up and stay motivated and try try try try and try some more, someone will notice.
                      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2967 users online. 162 members and 2805 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X