Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph

Deleted, thanks to those who answered my question
    Last edited by Sig0x; 07-05-2019, 12:03 PM.

So do you have an actual question? Or are you just mad you failed two polygraphs? To be frank, the polygraph machine itself is junk science. BUT, departments still use them as a way to weed people out for a myriad of reasons. The machine itself isn’t the main goal of the polygraph. The goal is to scare some applicants into admitting things or catch discrepancies in your background.

It’s still technically possible to get hired with an agency if you got an inconclusive result on a polygraph.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post
      So do you have an actual question? Or are you just mad you failed two polygraphs? To be frank, the polygraph machine itself is junk science. BUT, departments still use them as a way to weed people out for a myriad of reasons. The machine itself isn’t the main goal of the polygraph. The goal is to scare some applicants into admitting things or catch discrepancies in your background.

It’s still technically possible to get hired with an agency if you got an inconclusive result on a polygraph.

My questions are right there in my post.

“Why do departments still bother with this if it's obviously so inaccurate? I get that it can be an investigative tool, but not when it's this flawed. Is there a chance this department will believe me when I say the polygraph is wrong, or that they'll compare the last two from the same polygraph examiner and realize that the examiner doesn't know what he's doing”

Comment

First time I ever took the polygraph I was flagged because apparently I was lying about selling drugs. Then the examiner spent 20 minutes trying to convince me I beat my wife and/or ex-girlfriend(s).

Left that place nervous and ****ed off. Got the job offer two weeks later.

You're either lying or you're not. Polygraph, CVSA are just investigative tools, not absolutes. A good background should weed all the skeletons out of your closet.

I don't know of any agency in my experience that solely relies on polygraph as a "yea or nea" decision maker (unless there is some admission of guilt along the way)...and I probably wouldn't want to work for them if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Sig0x View Post

My questions are right there in my post.

“Why do departments still bother with this if it's obviously so inaccurate? I get that it can be an investigative tool, but not when it's this flawed. Is there a chance this department will believe me when I say the polygraph is wrong, or that they'll compare the last two from the same polygraph examiner and realize that the examiner doesn't know what he's doing”
          Asking your question is a futile endeavour because as an applicant, you are never going to convince a department to waive a polygraph for you.

If you are having difficulty with the polygraph, go apply to a department without a polygraph.

Comment

The polygraph is junk science thing has been done on this forum and is Ad nauseam.

They are a fact of life in many LE agencies and those agencies that use them are convinced that they help weed out undesirables.

In MY EXPERIENCE the poly has been used as an investigative tool................nothing more, nothing less

As noted above......find another agency if you don't like the hiring process of the ones you have been applying to
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              The polygraph is junk science thing has been done on this forum and is Ad nauseam.

They are a fact of life in many LE agencies and those agencies that use them are convinced that they help weed out undesirables.

In MY EXPERIENCE the poly has been used as an investigative tool................nothing more, nothing less

As noted above......find another agency if you don't like the hiring process of the ones you have been applying to
              Yeah, that's fine, I'm just surprised that you still admit they should be an investigative tool when in my experience they can't even give one straight answer from one test to the next.

It's nothing about the process, it's about the poly that is losing these departments good candidates (me) and me good jobs. And everyone's telling me there's nothing I can do about inaccurate polygraph results, so I guess nothing else to do but let the chips fall where they may. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, that's fine, I'm just surprised that you still admit they should be an investigative tool when in my experience they can't even give one straight answer from one test to the next.

It's nothing about the process, it's about the poly that is losing these departments good candidates (me) and me good jobs. And everyone's telling me there's nothing I can do about inaccurate polygraph results, so I guess nothing else to do but let the chips fall where they may. Thanks.
                I am going to repeat with emphasis........................IN MY EXPERIENCE....... which is over 42 yrs with a couple large agencies and a small one

I spent 30 yrs with an agency that did not use polygraphs.................and half of that time making hiring recommendations ..........I WISH that a poly would have been used as the investigative help would have been appreciated

The vast majority of agencies that use a polygraph use it correctly...........................AND just because you disagree with the results doesn't mean that the examiner didn't detect an indication of deceit. His job (the examiner) then is to report that indication and let someone higher up on the food chain make a determination if it is a big deal or not

It also is YOUR determination that you are a good candidate.....................that my friend is not your determination to make.

The agencies that use polygraphs are comfortable with loosing out on some people in exchange for getting the ones they like using the processes they use.
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-03-2019, 12:26 PM.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Read this about 100 times.
                  Stop whining.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I am going to repeat with emphasis........................IN MY EXPERIENCE....... which is over 42 yrs with a couple large agencies and a small one

I spent 30 yrs with an agency that did not use polygraphs.................and half of that time making hiring recommendations ..........I WISH that a poly would have been used as the investigative help would have been appreciated

The vast majority of agencies that use a polygraph use it correctly...........................AND just because you disagree with the results doesn't mean that the examiner didn't detect an indication of deceit. His job (the examiner) then is to report that indication and let someone higher up on the food chain make a determination if it is a big deal or not

It also is YOUR determination that you are a good candidate.....................that my friend is not your determination to make.

The agencies that use polygraphs are comfortable with loosing out on some people in exchange for getting the ones they like using the processes they use.

Then IN YOUR EXPERIENCE you have undoubtedly been following incorrect investigative leads, and making baseless accusations against good candidates. If you’re fine with doing that, then that speaks to the kind of cop you are.

You must have missed the part where the same question that I once failed was passed a few weeks later. This means your candidates that you “like” because of a clean poly are just as likely to be flawed and departments who think this way have no clue what they’re doing with this investigative tool.

Hey, by all means carry on though, especially with the scarcity of good candidates these days. I only hope this makes more realize how off base the use of polygraphs is.

And by the way, I know my own background, I know my own history, my own temperament — so yeah, I can speak to the kind of candidate I am. Seems most cops on here though would rather do nothing but troll and argue at the slightest chance.
                    Last edited by Sig0x; 07-03-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                      Read this about 100 times.
                      Stop whining.
                      Not whining, just had hopes there was a way to not be falsely accused of crimes I didn’t commit. Thanks for stopping by.

Comment

Then IN YOUR EXPERIENCE you have undoubtedly been following incorrect investigative leads, and making baseless accusations against good candidates. If you’re fine with doing that, then that speaks to the kind of cop you are.

You must have missed the part where the same question that I once failed was passed a few weeks later. This means your candidates that you “like” because of a clean poly are just as likely to be flawed and departments who think this way have no clue what they’re doing with this investigative tool.

Hey, by all means carry on though, especially with the scarcity of good candidates these days. I only hope this makes more realize how off base the use of polygraphs is.

And by the way, I know my own background, I know my own history, my own temperament — so yeah, I can speak to the kind of candidate I am. Seems most cops on here though would rather do nothing but troll and argue at the slightest chance.
                        I rest my case

Comment

I rest my case

Good, I’m glad you’ve come to some kind of self realization.

Comment

Think of the test in this fashion: the test is not saying you lied on answering a question....it is telling the examiner that at that point in the exam something you said caused you to react. That is your problem not the exam’s

Comment

I believe that the poly is junk "science".

For that matter, I believe that psych is junk "science".

That said, those are the tools available to vet potential candidates, and I believe that they weed out a large portion of the candidates that truly need to not be police officers.

That said, the vetting methods of the hiring agency are the vetting methods of the hiring agency. If they don't want you, then move on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10849 users online. 482 members and 10367 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X