300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Exam DQ?

So I'm currently in the background process for a police department, and if I pass, I move on to the physical exam. However, I'm a little worried.... I'm underweight for my age and height, have a heartrate of 44 bpm, and technically have sinus bradycardia based on a recent EKG I took from my primary care doctor. While the stats look bad, I am in better physical shape then one might assume and actually had one of the best scores in the physical agility test. Obviously, I'm trying to gain weight because I know that that's what's affecting my heart health, but it may be a little late to make a big difference in the next month before the medical exam. So my question is, will a department DQ me for heart/weight stats like that?

All you can do is apply. Is the bradycardia controlled by meds?

Comment

What does your doctor say about it? Is there a diagnosis where he's expressed concern or are you self-diagnosing based upon some test results? From what I can see, people in particularly good physical condition may experience bradycardia directly related to their level of fitness, so there may actually be no issue at all...but that's a diagnosis better left to a medical professional, not a run-down old cop on an internet message board.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

No, I'm not on meds... and my doctor is concerned about my low weight since that's what's causing it (according to him, not a self-diagnosis). Would they reject you for too low of a body weight? I'm like 5'7"-5'8" and I haven't weighed myself recently but I'm pretty sure I'm under 130 lbs.

Comment

Well, most medical examinations are making sure that you won't drop over dead on duty where the employer/retirement system would have to pay out to your family. The only employer in my area that has a specific height/weight chart they follow is the Ohio State Highway Patrol...it's relatively rare (at least around here), but not unheard of, so that's research you'd have to do on the particular agency.

As for your weight, us big guys always need skinny people to shove into crawlspaces and attics on search warrants. Hell, at your weight, they could probably slide you through the mail slot instead of forcing entry!
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11916 users online. 447 members and 11469 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X