Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westside popo
    commented on 's reply
    Disagree a little with you on this one....

I've used my "CJ learning" many times to solve or fix many problems.
    Last edited by westside popo; 06-17-2019, 12:28 AM.

• Aidokea
    replied
    Originally posted by BP3 View Post
    What’s a CJ degree?
    I dunno, man.

I don't even have a high-school diploma, but I make six figures and my commuter vehicle is a Porsche convertible that I custom-ordered new.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    What do they do? In a nutshell, they do the self-policing to ensure business entities are in compliance with gov regulations. Risk management to avoid criminal penalties, civil penalties, sanctions, debarment, and bad publicity. They exist in just about every sector- trade, banking, health care, defense, utilities, on and on. Yes, some compliance jobs need specific backgrounds (i,e.- financial), but often they seek people with sound analytical, communication, and decision making skills, aka the bread and butter of a liberal arts degree like CJ....
    That sounds almost as much fun as not doing that. I think I'd rather spend my time making sure that my liver doesn't out-live me...

Leave a comment:

• BP3
    replied
    What’s a CJ degree?

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Actually it's a 'BA' degree, not a 'BS' degree...

People generally come from one of two camps: it's a degree that prepares people well for a career in LE, or it's a total waste of time and money. All depends on background and perspective...

We could go around and around on this topic for five more pages and change no one's thinking.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    I have YET to see a CJ degree produce “sound, analytical, communication, and decision making skills”. It’s a BS degree for non hackers who just want a piece of paper.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Because I'm thinking about this issue right now, I'm gonna offer up an answer to "What work could someone with a CJ degree find in the private sector other than security guard for $11 an hour?"

Answer: Compliance officer. Starting salary: $50K, with the median salary around $85K. Some make six figures.

This is a huge growth field right now. Go to any employment website and query 'compliance officer' jobs for your area. I submit you'll see a bunch of positions.

What do they do? In a nutshell, they do the self-policing to ensure business entities are in compliance with gov regulations. Risk management to avoid criminal penalties, civil penalties, sanctions, debarment, and bad publicity. They exist in just about every sector- trade, banking, health care, defense, utilities, on and on. Yes, some compliance jobs need specific backgrounds (i,e.- financial), but often they seek people with sound analytical, communication, and decision making skills, aka the bread and butter of a liberal arts degree like CJ....

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    I should offer a disclaimer: I have a CJ degree, and while it provided a foundation for a good career, 90% of my success can be attributed to luck, timing, divine intervention, some good mentors, persistence, and application. I live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and am about to walk away from a 27 year career with financial security for my family. I am looking at transferring certain skillsets to the private sector in pursuit of a second career. Prospective employers so far don't seemed concerned one whit about what my college major was- they just like seeing a bachelor's degree in my background.

I have seen an equal number of peers similarly succeed in LE with degrees in English literature, finance, JDs in law, and even nursing. I've also seen a handful succeed with no degree at all, but they were smart and had other valuable life experiences.

My bigger point is this: live your own life, follow your own compass bearings, and chart your own path. Don't let anyone tell you what is best for you, but you.

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    commented on 's reply
    I worked for one myself (and currently work for one that's not accredited but copied its policies from one) and have always hated the concept. It became obvious what accreditation was about pretty quickly...a job for lawyers, "management consultants," and retired administrators making policies so endlessly complex, all-encompassing, and convoluted that you're always violating something, thus shifting all liability away from the employer and onto the officer.

• Ratatatat
    replied
    The CJ degree discussion has been beaten to death here on many threads. I'll kick the dead horse once again, just because I can.

A CJ degree is no more useful, or useless, than any other liberal arts degree (history, poly sci, psychology, sociology, anthropology, et. al.). The basic gist of liberal arts degree programs is to formulate arguments, communicate well, and solve problems. To broaden horizons and expand comprehension about human beings- their history, their behaviors, and their potential.

If you want to be a dentist, don't get a CJ degree. Same for nuclear scientist, actuary, and architect. Get a STEM degree.

A CJ degree does not ensure employment in LE or success as an LEO.

A CJ degree does not provide technical skills. Those are gained at the academy and on the job.

There are many CJ grads employed in LE (and the private sector) who've had rewarding careers and enjoyed secure, upper middle class lives.

There are many CJ grads who ended up as commercial painters, taxi drivers, and used car salesmen. The cookie doesn't crumble the same for everyone.

The beauty of living in a free society is we have self-determination, and the playing field is equal for everyone. This is not the case in many parts of the world- either the state determines what your function will be in society, or caste systems confine people according to class.

Study what floats your boat. Choose your own path. Try different jobs until you find the one that fits best. Be decent to people and work hard and make smarter decisions. Success usually follows, regardless of the degree....

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    The CJ degree, past an AA, IS worthless. It doesn’t DO anything for you, except a narrow focused area that you don’t use. Please show me ANYWHERE that a cop used his “CJ learning” to handle a call or fix a problem. You learn everything and more in the academy.

Unless you take Management tracks, being a CJ grad is dumber than basket weaving.

The only thing it may do is check a box. If you want to promote, you need business, management, law skills.

CJ teaches you to do exactly what? CJ? There isn’t even a job with that title.

Leave a comment:

• westside popo
    commented on 's reply
    I won't work for another one!

They tend to have better equipment and little better pay etc but it's not worth the BS. Rules, regulations and policies on every little aspect of the job.

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Study what you want and ignore the 'CJ degree is worthless' advice.

Look for internships, co-op programs, volunteer opportunities at agencies. These build networks. Networks are huge.

Run three miles a day and do 50 sit ups and 30 push ups.

No more of that funky skrunk.

Work on writing skills.

Travel, be awesome, and enjoy the freedom of youth because the heavy chains of life will come soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Zeitgeist1
    replied
    Don't smoke anymore weed. The rultes are getting more lax about it but you don't want to push your luck.

Stay consistant w/ one job. Build an employment history that does not look like you can't keep a job.

Keep as high a GPA as possible. Don't get any traffic violations. Be aware of the people you're around---parties where some of the people are sketchy etc.
    Get in the best possible shape you can.

Be willing to relocate for a job. Good luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• BP3
    replied
    Avoid getting your degree in CJ.

I went to college for business while I was waiting for the lengthy process of the NYPD (3+ years). I had to take a few electives so I decided to take two different criminal justice classes to satisfy my electives and get an insight into the field.

Both CJ professors were prior LEO; one a prior state cop and the other a former DEA agent. BOTH said multiple times to not waste your time on a CJ degree as it is very narrow in scope.

I went with a business degree because I could apply those skills to almost ANYTHING in case the cop route didn’t work out. It paid off.

Fast forward to my time in the academy, I learned everything a CJ degree would have taught you and it didn’t cost me a penny. In fact, I was paid to learn.

Other applicants in my academy with a CJ degree had a good point. While the CJ is considered a waste of time, they did however get hired because they had a degree where others did not. So while a CJ degree may get you on the job, it’s not a transferable degree.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8632 users online. 416 members and 8216 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X