Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CJ degree, past an AA, IS worthless. It doesn’t DO anything for you, except a narrow focused area that you don’t use. Please show me ANYWHERE that a cop used his “CJ learning” to handle a call or fix a problem. You learn everything and more in the academy.

Unless you take Management tracks, being a CJ grad is dumber than basket weaving.

The only thing it may do is check a box. If you want to promote, you need business, management, law skills.

CJ teaches you to do exactly what? CJ? There isn’t even a job with that title.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• westside popo
      westside popo commented
      Editing a comment
      Disagree a little with you on this one....

I've used my "CJ learning" many times to solve or fix many problems.
      Last edited by westside popo; 06-17-2019, 12:28 AM.

The CJ degree discussion has been beaten to death here on many threads. I'll kick the dead horse once again, just because I can.

A CJ degree is no more useful, or useless, than any other liberal arts degree (history, poly sci, psychology, sociology, anthropology, et. al.). The basic gist of liberal arts degree programs is to formulate arguments, communicate well, and solve problems. To broaden horizons and expand comprehension about human beings- their history, their behaviors, and their potential.

If you want to be a dentist, don't get a CJ degree. Same for nuclear scientist, actuary, and architect. Get a STEM degree.

A CJ degree does not ensure employment in LE or success as an LEO.

A CJ degree does not provide technical skills. Those are gained at the academy and on the job.

There are many CJ grads employed in LE (and the private sector) who've had rewarding careers and enjoyed secure, upper middle class lives.

There are many CJ grads who ended up as commercial painters, taxi drivers, and used car salesmen. The cookie doesn't crumble the same for everyone.

The beauty of living in a free society is we have self-determination, and the playing field is equal for everyone. This is not the case in many parts of the world- either the state determines what your function will be in society, or caste systems confine people according to class.

Study what floats your boat. Choose your own path. Try different jobs until you find the one that fits best. Be decent to people and work hard and make smarter decisions. Success usually follows, regardless of the degree....

The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

I should offer a disclaimer: I have a CJ degree, and while it provided a foundation for a good career, 90% of my success can be attributed to luck, timing, divine intervention, some good mentors, persistence, and application. I live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and am about to walk away from a 27 year career with financial security for my family. I am looking at transferring certain skillsets to the private sector in pursuit of a second career. Prospective employers so far don't seemed concerned one whit about what my college major was- they just like seeing a bachelor's degree in my background.

I have seen an equal number of peers similarly succeed in LE with degrees in English literature, finance, JDs in law, and even nursing. I've also seen a handful succeed with no degree at all, but they were smart and had other valuable life experiences.

My bigger point is this: live your own life, follow your own compass bearings, and chart your own path. Don't let anyone tell you what is best for you, but you.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Because I'm thinking about this issue right now, I'm gonna offer up an answer to "What work could someone with a CJ degree find in the private sector other than security guard for $11 an hour?"

Answer: Compliance officer. Starting salary: $50K, with the median salary around $85K. Some make six figures.

This is a huge growth field right now. Go to any employment website and query 'compliance officer' jobs for your area. I submit you'll see a bunch of positions.

What do they do? In a nutshell, they do the self-policing to ensure business entities are in compliance with gov regulations. Risk management to avoid criminal penalties, civil penalties, sanctions, debarment, and bad publicity. They exist in just about every sector- trade, banking, health care, defense, utilities, on and on. Yes, some compliance jobs need specific backgrounds (i,e.- financial), but often they seek people with sound analytical, communication, and decision making skills, aka the bread and butter of a liberal arts degree like CJ....

-Thomas Edison

Comment

I have YET to see a CJ degree produce “sound, analytical, communication, and decision making skills”. It’s a BS degree for non hackers who just want a piece of paper.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Actually it's a 'BA' degree, not a 'BS' degree...

People generally come from one of two camps: it's a degree that prepares people well for a career in LE, or it's a total waste of time and money. All depends on background and perspective...

We could go around and around on this topic for five more pages and change no one's thinking.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

What’s a CJ degree?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                What do they do? In a nutshell, they do the self-policing to ensure business entities are in compliance with gov regulations. Risk management to avoid criminal penalties, civil penalties, sanctions, debarment, and bad publicity. They exist in just about every sector- trade, banking, health care, defense, utilities, on and on. Yes, some compliance jobs need specific backgrounds (i,e.- financial), but often they seek people with sound analytical, communication, and decision making skills, aka the bread and butter of a liberal arts degree like CJ....
                That sounds almost as much fun as not doing that. I think I'd rather spend my time making sure that my liver doesn't out-live me...

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post
                  What’s a CJ degree?
                  I dunno, man.

I don't even have a high-school diploma, but I make six figures and my commuter vehicle is a Porsche convertible that I custom-ordered new.

Comment

I don't think any degree is useless, but some are more limiting than others. You just need to know that going in. As noted, it allows you to check a box. Most CJ prof outside of community colleges don't have 10 seconds worth of police experience, but their job is to teach theory -- not to teach one how to be a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      I don't think any degree is useless, but some are more limiting than others. You just need to know that going in. As noted, it allows you to check a box. Most CJ prof outside of community colleges don't have 10 seconds worth of police experience, but their job is to teach theory -- not to teach one how to be a police officer.
                      In the case of CJ degrees, I'd agree that you get more bang for your buck from community college. My instructors (at least in my CJ courses...I won't comment on the froot loops "teaching" things like sociology and psych) were all current or retired LEO's and prosecutors.

If the poster is set on a CJ degree, maybe consider getting an Associates from a community college and then transferring to a 4-year college for something more marketable for your Bachelors (public admin, business, etc). Then you can get the best of both worlds.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                        One of my co workers had a BA in Theater. He had a degree and was paid accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post

One of my co workers had a BA in Theater. He had a degree and was paid accordingly.
                          One of the best cops I ever worked for had a Mortuary Science degree HE kept his funeral director license active throughout his entire career even after he was appointed as the US Marshal for the district

I have no problem with the CJ degree as it is a valid 4 yr degree that checks boxes. I also know MANY people who have then used that degree to enhance their careers as lawyers, insurance agents, non LEO investigators and other non related jobs. It checks boxes in MANY career fields.

If the person is interested in learning the subjects covered in the degree it makes it much easier than getting a degree in a subject that you are not interested in. Getting a Business degree with KILL ME
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                            Actually it's a 'BA' degree, not a 'BS' degree...

Actually my CJ is actually a BS and not a BA degree. Maybe I should have gone toward the Business and Admin path, but so far my degree has served me well. And I'm not a non-hacker, as has been suggested. I am a hacker, both on the golf course and in my job!

Comment

Get some real working experience. I don’t mean as a waiter either.
                              I will echo everyone else and tell you to switch to another degree besides CJ. Try to go for a STEM degree or maybe a business degree.

The vast majority of CA agencies are hurting right now. If you have a clean background you will get hired somewhere.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8172 users online. 376 members and 7796 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X