Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I keep trying or just wait out two years?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I keep trying or just wait out two years?

Recently I just got disqualified from becoming a cadet through my local police department. The reason was due to trying marijuana about a year ago for the first time, I took a quick puff coughed up the crap and that was the end of it. When I was filling out my PHS statement I mentioned the incident, and thought maybe I would have a chance to explain it (this is after I passed my oral interview). Thinking everything was going along smoothly and waiting to take my poly, I receive the dreaded thanks but not thank you letter. Feeling a little bummed and slightly already knowing the reason I decide to call personnel, they were kind enough and said the lieutenant who was over the background portion of the process would give me a call. I get a call from him a week letter and he’s like “Son you scored really well on both the Pellet B and our oral board interview, but you mentioned you smoked marijuana about a year ago. The department wants to see at least a 3 year waiting period”. I take the opportunity to explain to him what fully happened, and he mentions I could try again in six months and see what happens.

I definitely want to reapply because I know who I am as a person, and waiting another two years is along time considering I did nearly everything right except for taking that one puff that probably never got into my system. I don’t want a second rejection on file, and I’ve been thinking about applying to other departments. Should I take that risk and reapply or just wait out those two years?

Well.... rejections aren't all that uncommon, so seeing a DQ or two on your file isn't the end of the world.

I can tell you one thing honestly though....your minimization of the incident would be a huge red flag for me if I was doing your background. When someone tells me "I tried marijuana once" I appreciate their honesty. You keep qualifying and minimizing what happened, saying things like "it was just one puff" and "it probably never got in my system" and "coughed it up" shows me you don't accept your choice. I'm ASSUMING you're in a state where marijuana isn't legal or it's still a DQing offense, hence the department wanting 3 years between use and application. If you made these excuses to me versus owning the choice I would document this as a perceived inability to take responsibility for actions and decisions. Not a good trait for a potential cop. Regardless of the crime, minimizing it and making excuses doesn't help your case.

Now, should you re-apply? Only you can answer that. If the LT is saying re-apply, then there isn't harm in it but the longer you wait and more ownership you take of your decisions the better your chances are.

Comment

• Armstrong26
      Armstrong26 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to clarify I wasn’t looking to become a cop when I first smoked weed. So it wasn’t like O I’m trying to become a cop, let me go out there and ruin my chances of becoming one. My local department was looking for cadets, and I was tired of working my repetitive 9-5 job so I decided to give it a shot. I started the whole process January of this year, and I smoked Memorial Day of 2018.

Second I wasn’t trying to make excuses or down play what had happened. I admitted that I did smoke, even listed the day and where. I own that action no doubt, but I thought explaining the situation would kind of lessen the blow. I get your point though careerchange#2, like someone stealing a candy bar because they’re hungry. Still a crime but trying to minimize the seriousness of it. I’m a logical person, and I appreciate the input of those that responded. I’m going to reapply again, and see what happens.

Originally posted by Armstrong26 View Post
    Recently I just got disqualified from becoming a cadet through my local police department. The reason was due to trying marijuana about a year ago for the first time, I took a quick puff coughed up the crap and that was the end of it. When I was filling out my PHS statement I mentioned the incident, and thought maybe I would have a chance to explain it (this is after I passed my oral interview). Thinking everything was going along smoothly and waiting to take my poly, I receive the dreaded thanks but not thank you letter. Feeling a little bummed and slightly already knowing the reason I decide to call personnel, they were kind enough and said the lieutenant who was over the background portion of the process would give me a call. I get a call from him a week letter and he’s like “Son you scored really well on both the Pellet B and our oral board interview, but you mentioned you smoked marijuana about a year ago. The department wants to see at least a 3 year waiting period”. I take the opportunity to explain to him what fully happened, and he mentions I could try again in six months and see what happens.

I definitely want to reapply because I know who I am as a person, and waiting another two years is along time considering I did nearly everything right except for taking that one puff that probably never got into my system. I don’t want a second rejection on file, and I’ve been thinking about applying to other departments. Should I take that risk and reapply or just wait out those two years?
    Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    Well.... rejections aren't all that uncommon, so seeing a DQ or two on your file isn't the end of the world.

I can tell you one thing honestly though....your minimization of the incident would be a huge red flag for me if I was doing your background. When someone tells me "I tried marijuana once" I appreciate their honesty. You keep qualifying and minimizing what happened, saying things like "it was just one puff" and "it probably never got in my system" and "coughed it up" shows me you don't accept your choice. I'm ASSUMING you're in a state where marijuana isn't legal or it's still a DQing offense, hence the department wanting 3 years between use and application. If you made these excuses to me versus owning the choice I would document this as a perceived inability to take responsibility for actions and decisions. Not a good trait for a potential cop. Regardless of the crime, minimizing it and making excuses doesn't help your case.

Now, should you re-apply? Only you can answer that. If the LT is saying re-apply, then there isn't harm in it but the longer you wait and more ownership you take of your decisions the better your chances are.
    Yep, I have the same concerns

Smoking dope at the same time you are looking at becoming a cop shows me some serious lack of maturity. Making excuses for that behavior just doubles down on that immaturity.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Armstrong26
      Armstrong26 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to clarify I wasn’t looking to become a cop when I first smoked weed. So it wasn’t like O I’m trying to become a cop, let me go out there and ruin my chances of becoming one. My local department was looking for cadets, and I was tired of working my repetitive 9-5 job so I decided to give it a shot. I started the whole process January of this year, and I smoked Memorial Day of 2018.

Second I wasn’t trying to make excuses or down play what had happened. I admitted that I did smoke, even listed the day and where. I own that action no doubt, but I thought explaining the situation would kind of lessen the blow. I get your point though careerchange#2, like someone stealing a candy bar because they’re hungry. Still a crime but trying to minimize the seriousness of it. I’m a logical person, and I appreciate the input of those that responded. I’m going to reapply again, and see what happens.

undefined

The beast isn't buying your explanation...
    What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

Comment

That doesn't help your case. That statement makes it sound like your only regret is that what you did is having a negative effect on your chances, but you don't see an issue with what you did. Let me give you a quote...“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.” LEO's are expected to do their jobs, largely without direct, constant supervision, and to make the morally and legally-right decision. Your regret should not be that your decision now has a negative consequence, but that you made a decision that was illegal.

You didn't steal a candy bar because you were hungry. You smoked pot because...well, I'd assume it was because you wanted to get high, since that's why people smoke pot. You either accept that you made a poor decision and the consequences that go with it, or you don't...any "explanations" for smoking pot are just minimizations for your actions.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Armstrong26
          Armstrong26 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bing_oh I couldn’t begin to tell you how your statement is all wrong. You’re assuming that I don’t accept the seriousness of it all, which I never stated. Tell me sir, when someone tries alcohol for the first time is it their intentions to get drunk? Based on your logic you would probably say they wanted to get drunk after trying a glass of wine, or whatever the drink is.

So no I when tried weed, it was not my intention to get high. Plus I didn’t say I stole a candy bar because I was hungry, go back and read what I said. It was used as an example to back up what careerchange#2 had said. Like I said before and I think you clearly missed it, I admit my actions and I understand the seriousness of it. I owned that in my very first statement. I’m not going to lie I thought “explaining”, would help me build a little bit of a cushion and the key word here is thought. Like my grandmother always told me little orphan Annie thought crap was candy. Moral of the story, never assume just know. Thanks for your input.

Why are you arguing this? Accept the fact that you messed up and move on. Smoking marijuana isn’t the crime of the century. But the fact that you can’t show remorse for your actions does not bode well for your future career in policing.........

Comment

• Armstrong26
          Armstrong26 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m arguing because of statements like yours “the fact that you can’t show remorse for your actions does not bode well for your future career in policing”. I’ve clearly stated more than once that I messed up and understand the seriousness of the situation. That seems to keep being overlooked, do I really need to spell it out for you?

Just no.

You used illegal drugs about a year ago.

You committed a crime by possessing the illegal drugs that you used.

And you have a fundamental character problem that you insist upon repeatedly demonstrating to us.

Comment

• Armstrong26
          Armstrong26 commented
          Editing a comment
          Demonstrating the issue that I admitted that I did wrong and accepted it? The problem that I see here is that people make assumptions about your character, and they know nothing about you. For example, had a person state the reason I probably smoked was to “get high”. From what I’m hearing I’m supposed to accept that judgment, don’t argue or debate the matter just accept it. Yeah you try that, and get back to me

Just a heads up, even if you were fortunate to get hired, you wouldn’t make it out of the academy based on your continued arguing with ACTUAL police officers who have decades of combined experience in matters like this.

We had a guy in our academy who asked questions and challenged everything the instructors said, including things that would make me question his integrity as a cop. He did not make it out of FTO.

Here’s the deal: You smoked weed, you downplayed it, and you blew your chances of becoming an officer for at least a few years. We make assumptions about people’s characters based on the choices they make, “one time weed usage” is no exception. Don’t like it? Too bad.

The only thing you did right was to be honest and truthful about your usage in your application.

Take some time between the marijuana usage before reapplying. You may also learn some maturity in the process.

I will not read your response to my post.

Comment

Thank God all the OPs posts are on here for a BI to review, if he ever makes it... He has major issues that have been pointed out ad nauseum.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Option 1: Keep applying now, and keep getting denied.

Option 2: Wait like you were told to, put some time in between you and your bad decision.

Pot isn't the end of the world. Cops are held to a higher standard. Don't ask people for their opinion and then argue with them over it.

Comment

Bing_oh I couldn’t begin to tell you how your statement is all wrong. You’re assuming that I don’t accept the seriousness of it all, which I never stated. Tell me sir, when someone tries alcohol for the first time is it their intentions to get drunk? Based on your logic you would probably say they wanted to get drunk after trying a glass of wine, or whatever the drink is.

So no I when tried weed, it was not my intention to get high. Plus I didn’t say I stole a candy bar because I was hungry, go back and read what I said. It was used as an example to back up what careerchange#2 had said. Like I said before and I think you clearly missed it, I admit my actions and I understand the seriousness of it. I owned that in my very first statement. I’m not going to lie I thought “explaining”, would help me build a little bit of a cushion and the key word here is thought. Like my grandmother always told me little orphan Annie thought crap was candy. Moral of the story, never assume just know. Thanks for your input.

Demonstrating the issue that I admitted that I did wrong and accepted it? The problem that I see here is that people make assumptions about your character, and they know nothing about you. For example, had a person state the reason I probably smoked was to “get high”. From what I’m hearing I’m supposed to accept that judgment, don’t argue or debate the matter just accept it. Yeah you try that, and get back to me
              William Shakespear said it best................................"methinks the lady doth protest too much".

I would pass if this is the way you "explain" your past
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post
                You may also learn some maturity in the process.
                He's 26 years old- if maturity was EVER going to happen, it probably would have happened by now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7597 users online. 309 members and 7288 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X