300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible LE Recruit

Just wanted to say hello to all the LE officers out there on the forum. I had a few questions, just like all new possible recruits.

I have taken a few police / FD exams and have done great on them (upper 98th %), i have not yet "pulled the trigger" on joinning as I currently am self employed for the last few years. I am 23 years old with a clean record other than a dwai zero tolerance at 18 (satified, all cleared up - young and stupid .07bac (2-3 beers). Leaving scene of accident (dropped, concluded it was mis understanding, have court satisfaction/disposition).

Have had a clean record since then, no trouble except a speeding ticket, and an open container in the city with a few.. belive it or not, cop friends (only one that got the ticket).

Drug background, never used anything - had tried marijuana when younger - once or twice, hard to remember really - do like a few beers with the guys on the weekends, or a few glasses of wine with the woman.

My question to all of you, existing officers is - I have been very successful with self employment, but fear job security/pension and medical/dental. Law enforcement has always been a passion for me - and I see myself as "part of the team" in the future..

Because of my past, will their be issues? I am a very open, honest and talkative, clean cut man, with over 3,000 clients as references as well as history of donations from my company to over 15 organizations in the area etc etc.

How do they evaluate officers? Am I material for the job? as for phyiscally fit, I have never been better as well. I am looking forward to taking tests and applying outside of New York, as the NYPD as well cannot meet my salary requirement at the time.

To sum it up, I will just number the questions as Im sure half of you already cut out on my thread for being boring,

1) Is this a possible character for police work?
    2) Is my past ok? (dwai, beer ticket, speeder)
    3) Does my past resume, and current conditions leadership/dominate sales(people) skills help me in the interview?
    4) Thanks for your time - I know you are busy. And i appreciate everyone of you serving this great country. Thanks.

When talking to a BI or a recruiter, never say NO trouble...Except speeding ticket, have NEVER tried anything EXCEPT marijuana. Neither are deal breaker usually, but never say never, when you have.
    Last edited by Dustin H; 05-03-2007, 10:48 AM. Reason: wrong sentence.

Comment

Possible Recruit

As a Background Investigator, I'd probably be asking you some pretty pointed questions concerning the DUI. Keep in mind, that having a few beers is usually not a problem. It's what sometimes happens as a result of those "few beers" that can cause problems. I don't think your past is all that bad. What I do suggest is complete honesty. Honesty when you fill out the SPH or Background Package, honesty when you talk to the BI. Don't make excuses, don't rationalize. I don't really know what your salary requirements are, and on this forum, they're none of my business. In considering LE as a career though, it's quite possible you'll make some financial, and possible life style sacrifices. That call is yours. If you realistically can't make those adjustments, you might then want to consider service as a Reserve Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by nautica817 View Post
        I have taken a few police / FD exams and have done great on them (upper 98th %), i have not yet "pulled the trigger" on joinning as I currently am self employed for the last few years. I am 23 years old with a clean record other than a dwai zero tolerance at 18 (satified, all cleared up - young and stupid .07bac (2-3 beers). Leaving scene of accident (dropped, concluded it was mis understanding, have court satisfaction/disposition).

Have had a clean record since then, no trouble except a speeding ticket, and an open container in the city with a few.. belive it or not, cop friends (only one that got the ticket).

Drug background, never used anything - had tried marijuana when younger - once or twice, hard to remember really - do like a few beers with the guys on the weekends, or a few glasses of wine with the woman.

as the NYPD as well cannot meet my salary requirement at the time.
        First, written tests aren't that difficult, so to comment on just passing one part of the exam process, big deal. DWI @ 18. Yes, 5 years removed, but 18 is still an adult with adult decisions, so there is no young and stupid there. You didn't do this, except, or that except. Deceptive. And lastly, I think you're pretty much too arrogant and I can't say what I want other than you sir, are a *****. Yes, I'll probably get a warning again, but it's worth it. To make a comment that the NYPD can't meet your requirement at this time?! No one gets into law enforcement for the money. If you do, it's the wrong reason. So to say you are so much better than the thousands working in NYPD for their meager paychecks tells me you should not be an LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath View Post
          First, written tests aren't that difficult, so to comment on just passing one part of the exam process, big deal. DWI @ 18. Yes, 5 years removed, but 18 is still an adult with adult decisions, so there is no young and stupid there. You didn't do this, except, or that except. Deceptive. And lastly, I think you're pretty much too arrogant and I can't say what I want other than you sir, are a *****. Yes, I'll probably get a warning again, but it's worth it. To make a comment that the NYPD can't meet your requirement at this time?! No one gets into law enforcement for the money. If you do, it's the wrong reason. So to say you are so much better than the thousands working in NYPD for their meager paychecks tells me you should not be an LEO.
          I didn't know being hot tempered was a quality thats displayed by LEO
          's on this forum. Apparently it is - I was simply saying that my current life style, living and leisure is over the salary quota. Therefore, I applied to higher paying agencies - And if it was about the money sir/kid - I wouldn't be interested in law enforcement at their starting salaries offered.. I have and am doing just fine for myself, my post indicated the desire to be a LEO, not cash in on less salary. Maybe you glanced over that part of my post - and wen't selectivly to something that you could bash me about...

I appreciate the educated responses by the other LEO's. Thank you for your time again.

Comment

I didn't know being hot tempered was a quality thats displayed by LEO
            's on this forum. Apparently it is - I was simply saying that my current life style, living and leisure is over the salary quota. Therefore, I applied to higher paying agencies - And if it was about the money sir/kid - I wouldn't be interested in law enforcement at their starting salaries offered.. I have and am doing just fine for myself, my post indicated the desire to be a LEO, not cash in on less salary. Maybe you glanced over that part of my post - and wen't selectivly to something that you could bash me about...

I appreciate the educated responses by the other LEO's. Thank you for your time again.
            If you weren't interested in the money aspect, you'd have never brought it up. People like you crack me up. I never did this, except, except, and oh yeah except. And for the record, if you checked MY age, I've got a few years on you so keep your immature and ignorant comments to yourself. No, I didn't "glance" over your post, seeing as to be LEO you need to actually read and pay attention to details. I only highlighted the most flattering you chose to disclose. As far as temper, that's hilarious. I'd have to say I was more in awe of your brashness and that is why I chose to bold print that statement. Seeing that you're unable to distinguish being firm in a statement with some misbegotten idea of temperment, LE wouldn't be a good field until you can. Bashing? There is not one topic that I "bashed" you on. I gave an honest opinion based solely of what you chose to disclose about your "past" and your status quo.

Comment

I'm certainly not bashing, this is just my $.02 When applying to LE, don't do it based on money. If money has ANY part to do with becoming an leo, don't do it. I'm not an LEO yet, but I will be soon, and money had NOTHING to do with it. I will be taking a SIGNIFICANTLY less salary, but......... each and every day, I will go to bed looking forward to the next day, and wake up each day eager to do it. I know this sounds cliche, but my Dad always told me "you have to do it for 30+ years, so do what you love, and love what you do." Just my opinion, if your "lifestyle" doesn't fit in with the salary, I don't know how you will do over the years. As long as I have money to pay my mortgage, take my girlfriend out, and raise a family, that's all I need. Happiness in my carrer beats the hell out of any car or materialistic items I may desire. Again, just my humble opinion.

Comment

Its not about the materialistic things, living on Long Island, NY is expensive, and the starting pay of 25k a year in the NYPD is something that I can't live on alone in my home, thats all I was saying. Money isnt the issue with the career Im looking to persue. I want to use my skills to help law enforcement agencies and build a career for myself.

Its about the benifits.. medical/dental retirement. I don't have that being self-employed.

People that say money has NOTHING to do with it is cliche, it always has an impact on what career path you choose advancements etc. I Came on the forum to ask a few questions not bicker about salaries..

Comment

Two alcohol related incidents with one obviously being underage (DUI). Your not showing a good patern of responsible behavior. If I were screening applications, I'd pass yours by until you had a clean record for at least five years.
                  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                    Two alcohol related incidents with one obviously being underage (DUI). Your not showing a good patern of responsible behavior. If I were screening applications, I'd pass yours by until you had a clean record for at least five years.
                    So true.

Comment

Its not about the materialistic things, living on Long Island, NY is expensive, and the starting pay of 25k a year in the NYPD is something that I can't live on alone in my home, thats all I was saying. Money isnt the issue with the career Im looking to persue. I want to use my skills to help law enforcement agencies and build a career for myself.

Its about the benifits.. medical/dental retirement. I don't have that being self-employed.

People that say money has NOTHING to do with it is cliche, it always has an impact on what career path you choose advancements etc.
                      I Came on the forum to ask a few questions not bicker about salaries..
                      It's only cliche to those concerned about it to begin with. You take the position because you want to make a change, a difference, whatever. You don't take it for the glorious salary you'll be paid. You move from patrol to detective or narcotics or SWAT because you want another avenue to forward your career, not for the increased salary (which isn't that much anyways jumping up a notch on the ladder.) Your priorities and judgement don't follow hand in hand at the time according to what you listed, so you'd be better off contacting Met-Life or someone for your insurance/medical/dental in the mean time until you can make better choices.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5203 users online. 290 members and 4913 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X