Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigator Question

Hello Every One

A couple years ago I had an interview for a Rackets Investigator in NYC. I don't have LEO experience, but am currently employed as a Pretrial assistant - paper work and limited contact with defendants; however years ago, I handled an officers caseload while he was out on medical leave, and had face to face interviews with the defendants before the office changed the policy. Anyway, during the Investigator interview, a situation was proposed - say we were investigating someone who lived in a Russian community and everyone spoke Russian. How would I ask people in the community if they have seen the person we are looking for even though we (my partner and I) don't speak the language. My first thoughts were asking whether we would be allowed to go around the community asking if they have seen the person under investigation. Wouldn't that raise red flags? And secondly I would hope my partner and I would have done our due diligence and known everyone spoke Russian and we therefore would have brought someone with us who spoke the language. I was hesitant to propose those questions because maybe I should have already known these rules. Is there a certain way to handle these questions, or a line of reasoning when presented with a situation like this?

Originally posted by Seake View Post
    Hello Every One

A couple years ago I had an interview for a Rackets Investigator in NYC. I don't have LEO experience, but am currently employed as a Pretrial assistant - paper work and limited contact with defendants; however years ago, I handled an officers caseload while he was out on medical leave, and had face to face interviews with the defendants before the office changed the policy. Anyway, during the Investigator interview, a situation was proposed - say we were investigating someone who lived in a Russian community and everyone spoke Russian. How would I ask people in the community if they have seen the person we are looking for even though we (my partner and I) don't speak the language. My first thoughts were asking whether we would be allowed to go around the community asking if they have seen the person under investigation. Wouldn't that raise red flags? And secondly I would hope my partner and I would have done our due diligence and known everyone spoke Russian and we therefore would have brought someone with us who spoke the language. I was hesitant to propose those questions because maybe I should have already known these rules. Is there a certain way to handle these questions, or a line of reasoning when presented with a situation like this?
    They want YOUR answers .....................not those of experienced peace officers (or people pretending to be cops on this forum )
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Interesting. Thank you for your response. I guess there is no "correct" answer, they just wanted to see how you would handle the situation?

Comment

Yes they are looking at your problem solving skills. Use your imaginatioin. Your life skills. You have to communicate, how do you do it?

Comment

Damn. Thank you, as well, Zeitgeist. It sounds much more laid back than how I felt. They were really just trying to get to know me, and here I thought I was being grilled for trying to be something I'm not.

Comment

I hear you. I have the habit of over thinking just about everything, especially in interviews. Sometimes I can get lost in trying to figure out what they are looking for in a candidate and conform my answers to that. Even in every day life. W
            here my decisions can go, and what could follow those decisions and on and on. In interviews, I just have to remember to get out of my own way and have a conversation instead of being "in an interview."

Comment

I hear you. I have the habit of over thinking just about everything, especially in interviews. Sometimes I can get lost in trying to figure out what they are looking for in a candidate and conform my answers to that.
              That behavior will most likely KEEP you from being hired
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I know. They probably see it coming a mile away and mark it in big bold letters on my sheet. I just have to keep all the good interview points in mind when going into an interview and not get in my own head.

Comment

Hello Every One

Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

Haha. Got it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8952 users online. 429 members and 8523 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X