300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PDs and SOs are most desperate?

I am POST certified in Colorado. I put myself through Academy... Bad idea. I should have gotten sponsored first, not only would it have saved me money, but I would have had a better idea how hard it would be for me to get hired.

I think I have some things in my background which are not disqualifying, but do put me in the "Plan B" file.
    I have no military experience, I have speeding tickets, I dont test well, and have asthma.

I have a couple things on paper that weed me out when there is competition around.
    However, I do think I have a good command presence along with patience and active compassion. While I fail the 1.5 mile run, I can dead lift 500 pounds and am a good shot. I am not socially awkward and have a genuine desire to display the more noble virtues within my community..... but I will never get the ability to display those good things unless I am given the chance.

I think its time to branch out of my state. I don't want to work in a Jail, but I will if that is the only option. (I've heard horror stories about people being in corrections for 5+ years. and hating every moment.)

Ive heard there are PDs and SOs that will take you if you have a pulse.... where are those places?
    I have about 9 months to get hired before my POST expires, so im looking for a Cheif or Sheriff who is as desperate as I am. Anywhere in the united states.

I know I don't look very good as a candidate by basically asking "who is so desperate that they have lowered their standards to the floor?".... but I am at the point where I have to be honest about where I am before I work myself up.

We don’t hire “desperate “ people. You have issues with your background, you are out of shape.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

When it comes to Cardio... ya. You could say that. Not generally though, not when I do pullups with 135 hanging off the weight belt.
      Worken on cardio now though.
      Though to imply there aren't out of shape cops..... ya.I wish that were the case, but the doughnut gut is real far too often id say.

Comment

St. Louis doesn't require a 1.5 iirc

Comment

Failure to have the cardio capacity on the street will result in your death. You will find few, if any, opportunities to do pull-ups during an arrest...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Julian_Wotanson View Post
            I am POST certified in Colorado. I put myself through Academy... Bad idea. I should have gotten sponsored first, not only would it have saved me money, but I would have had a better idea how hard it would be for me to get hired.

I think I have some things in my background which are not disqualifying, but do put me in the "Plan B" file.
            I have no military experience, I have speeding tickets, I dont test well, and have asthma.

I have a couple things on paper that weed me out when there is competition around.
            However, I do think I have a good command presence along with patience and active compassion. While I fail the 1.5 mile run, I can dead lift 500 pounds and am a good shot. I am not socially awkward and have a genuine desire to display the more noble virtues within my community..... but I will never get the ability to display those good things unless I am given the chance.

I think its time to branch out of my state.)

Don't come to Iowa........................We don't care if you can lift a 1/4 ton if you fail the run, you can't get licensed. PERIOD We want well rounded police officers who have the total package.

I don't want to work in a Jail, but I will if that is the only option. (I've heard horror stories about people being in corrections for 5+ years. and hating every moment.
            I spent 30 yrs working in a prison.....................thanks for the vote of confidence in my former career

Ive heard there are PDs and SOs that will take you if you have a pulse.... where are those places?
            I have about 9 months to get hired before my POST expires, so im looking for a Cheif or Sheriff who is as desperate as I am. Anywhere in the united states.
            yep, those agencies that nobody wants to work for...........................................but you are willing to work for them before you lower yourself to work in a jail

once again THANKS

I know I don't look very good as a candidate by basically asking "who is so desperate that they have lowered their standards to the floor?".... but I am at the point where I have to be honest about where I am before I work myself up.
            Nope you don't look OR SOUND like a good candiate

When it comes to Cardio... ya. You could say that. Not generally though, not when I do pullups with 135 hanging off the weight belt.
            Worken on cardio now though.
            Though to imply there aren't out of shape cops..... ya.I wish that were the case, but the doughnut gut is real far too often id say.
            Total difference between hiring an out of shape officer and having a veteran who might not be in top shape.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Failure to have the cardio capacity on the street will result in your death. You will find few, if any, opportunities to do pull-ups during an arrest...
            and even less oppurtunitiees to do so with 135 lbs of weight hanging off the belt
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-28-2019, 09:15 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well, let’s look around. St Louis has had some really bad press recently. So has Chicago and Baltimore.

Seattle has a full Facebook press of how bad it is and how they are losing so many Officers.

*You could apply to those agencies....

*I didn’t read your post, I don’t care about your issues. You won’t make it at my Agency, so apply to those above. If you are hired by one of those agencies and screw up the worst you are looking at is 20 years in a federal fu*k me in the a*s prison.... so it’s not that bad. Good Luck!!
              semper destravit

Comment

I think its time to branch out of my state. I don't want to work in a Jail, but I will if that is the only option. (I've heard horror stories about people being in corrections for 5+ years. and hating every moment.)

You ARE an academy graduate.

You ARE NOT "POST Certified" and you're academy diploma is worthless in California.

Comment

Most state agencies have armed peace officer investigator positions where, because of the nature of their duties, an emphasize is not put on physical ability. Those positions often involve investigation of consumer affairs issues, contractors license matters, horse racing board, housing matters, food and agriculture issues, etc. Identify those positions in your state and start applying. Once hired you can start working on your physical issues and when you are finally in shape, reapply with city or county agencies.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Agree with what others have said.

I worked corrections until I found a LE job. I didn't always like it but it was an honest job and a decent pay check.

Just keep applying.

Comment

I was an active, competing powerlifter for much of my law enforcement career - 245+ lbs bodyweight, bench 500, squat well over 700, etc. I was not in shape. Strong as hell and pretty big, which definitely helped both when it was go time and to deter people from fighting in the first place, but my endurance sucked. Getting winded walking up a quarter-mile steep driveway, keeping up with a K-9 handler on a long track, tasks like that.

I finally saw the light and got in good cardio shape. A few months after starting cardio, I wound up in the fight of my life. Two of us fought with a trained boxer on bath salts after a foot pursuit. (Fortunately it was a ground fight.) We went 100% all-out for four and half minutes until the next unit arrived.

Had that fight been six months earlier, I would have gotten my butt kicked.

If you are going to be a cop, you need to be in great all-around shape. Do your cardio and get your priorities right.
                      Last edited by ateamer; 05-29-2019, 06:43 PM.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

It doesn't matter how much you can press, or how far and fast you can run. What matters is that you can pass all parts of the physical agility test. Being able to lift a car does not balance out not being able to make your run time. Running a 5 minute mile does not balance out not being able to do X number of push ups.

Most officers aren't vets, so that's a non-issue.

Not testing well is a very big issue. Have you tried practice tests, study guides, etc.?

Asthma should not be an issue as long as you pass your medical.

Why don't you work on your run and test taking time before trying to find some bottom-of-the-barrel place?

Comment

I’m going to echo the sentiments of most others here. If you know your cardio needs work, why aren’t you out there running everyday? I have a friend whose cardio was deplorable. He started the hiring process for a big three letter fed agency and hired a personal trainer. He ended up passing the test and academy with no issues. Point is, he was determined to succeed. It sounds like you just want to walk into an agency without doing any work. People who’ve been on the job a while will recognize that immediately. I’m not sure how long your academy was, but there is no excuse to not be passing a PT test at this point.

Also, while some don’t see it this way, your level of cardio has a correlation to how you respond to stress. When you’re in that fight, or on that man with a gun/shots fired call, being in shape will help keep you out of the black and able to work through. I personally don’t want someone who can’t perform backing me up while I’m fighting for my life.

“Today is the tomorrow you should have trained for yesterday.”

Comment

They're not hard to find in the rust belt. Google search for terms like "state receivership" and "municipal bankruptcy." Write down the names of those cities, and visit their PD websites.

There are a couple of those places near me. They are abandoned industrial hellholes with used-to-be neighborhoods, as in used-to-be working class but now are burned out shells occupied by zombies. Packs of feral pit bulls roam the alleys and the grass gets so tall in parks and vacant lots, often bodies lay for weeks. Anyways, as part of the financial re-structuring, the PDs lost pension plans, health care, decent wages, etc and anyone who could escape, did. Now they hire people for a flat hourly wage of $14 and nothing more, or about what landscapers pay.

I also see some SOs hiring summer help, mainly for marine patrol, for little more than that. Whenever I see them on the waterways, I get why the salary is so low... the officers are either 21 year olds who graduated last week or FROGS (fatretiredoldguys) looking for something to do. Plus, who could ever call sunshine and bikinis all day a real job??

Also, I worked many years in the rural west, and can attest some of the tribal PDs weren't exactly flush with money, and weren't exactly getting top tier applicants, and seeing how you're already in CO, you may have many options. Just get out a map and fling a dart at the intermountain west....
                            What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

and seeing how you're already in CO, you may have many options.
                              He is NOT a CO....................he "doesn't want to work jails"
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Ratatatat
                                Ratatatat commented
                                Editing a comment
                                CO: as in Colorado.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10024 users online. 408 members and 9616 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X