Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed backgrounds last year, is it safe to reapply?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed backgrounds last year, is it safe to reapply?

Hey all! So last year I applied to a Sheriff's Department here in Southern California. I applied with nothing under my belt, just a GED and 1 previous work experience where I ended up being terminated when I came down with a medical condition that left me missing 2 days of work. That job didn't care, booted me anyway. Got another job and was working there while in the process with this department. Anyway, no criminal background, no drugs, nothing of that sort. Completely clean, tons of ride-alongs with them, passed written and physical. However I failed backgrounds with no explanation besides apply again in a year. I understood. Being fired and having nothing else to show for, I don't blame them. I don't stand out from the rest of the applicants. I need to work on my background and stand out from the rest. So I went into the military.

Well! A year later, I now have some military experience under my belt, a satisfying work history with no terminations, and I've kept my background clean. The only downside is that I was medically discharged from the Army from an accident that happened during AIT. Forced out due to it not being able to heal in time for graduation. I received a General discharge with a service connected disability. Nothing that limits me. I can still run, jump, climb, everything that's required to be an officer.

My question to you guys, is it safe to re-apply to the same agency that I've previously failed a backgrounds on? Orrr should I cut it a loss there and move on to another agency?

Thanks.

Originally posted by xraymond93 View Post
    Hey all! So last year I applied to a Sheriff's Department here in Southern California. I applied with nothing under my belt, just a GED and 1 previous work experience where I ended up being terminated when I came down with a medical condition that left me missing 2 days of work. That job didn't care, booted me anyway. Got another job and was working there while in the process with this department. Anyway, no criminal background, no drugs, nothing of that sort. Completely clean, tons of ride-alongs with them, passed written and physical. However I failed backgrounds with no explanation besides apply again in a year. I understood. Being fired and having nothing else to show for, I don't blame them. I don't stand out from the rest of the applicants. I need to work on my background and stand out from the rest. So I went into the military.

Well! A year later, I now have some military experience under my belt, a satisfying work history with no terminations, and I've kept my background clean. The only downside is that I was medically discharged from the Army from an accident that happened during AIT. Forced out due to it not being able to heal in time for graduation. I received a General discharge with a service connected disability. Nothing that limits me. I can still run, jump, climb, everything that's required to be an officer.

My question to you guys, is it safe to re-apply to the same agency that I've previously failed a backgrounds on? Orrr should I cut it a loss there and move on to another agency?

Thanks.
    Your answer is highlighted
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not sure you're going to get a whole lot of traction out of your military experience there....
      Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

You have ZERO Military “experience “.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

So, a few things:

1) There is more to the story. Did they specifically tell you that you "failed" the backgrounds or that you were no longer included in the process? What is missing from what you've told us about your background that makes you think you failed versus just not being a quality candidate compared to others?

2) Be careful claiming military experience. There was a candidate in a class I cadre'd for who claimed prior infantry. During one morning inspection I asked his last unit of assignment and he named a basic training company. Turns out he had been booted early in basic due to failure to adapt or something like that under a general discharge. Those of us who were prior service wanted him booted over false records/lying/integrity/stolen valor however the non-military members didn't see the big deal since "to him he was infantry."

3) there is more to the discharge then what was written here. I've never seen a person discharged with what you are describing as a minor injury that just didn't heal in time for graduation. There is a reason bases had med hold platoons to allow those who are broken/sick/fail some portion of training to recycle and complete their contract. I'm at a loss why the military would invest that much time and money into training you and just say "nevermind" because you would miss your particular cycles graduation time hack. There should (should) have been a recycle/reclass somewhere in the mix.

Comment

• CCCSD
            CCCSD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Much more.

They told you to apply again in one year. So apply; worse they can do is say no again.

Comment

That General Discharge is a real problem. Look into getting it upgraded

Comment

They will only upgrade it if a mistake was made.
              There was no mistake.

Comment

Looks like you "failed" do to your "medical" problems, general discharge and more.

Everyone I've heard of getting a general discharge, got it because they couldn't meet height and weight standards, PT failures & failure to adapt. Never heard of a general discharge for getting injured in training.

Comment

Injured in training is an Honorable Discharge, with RE-3 Code.

Comment

• BaylorBearSW
                    BaylorBearSW commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not always true. I've posted my story here several (10+ probably) years ago, but short story is 13 years ago I was injured after 31 days at MCRD San Diego on the 92 day reservist program. I received an Uncharacterized Discharge due to being in less than 180 days and an erroneous entry narrative reason for separation. They basically told me had they known I was going to get hurt I would not have been allowed to join. I have applied two times to the NDRB to have this corrected as the USMC Separations Manual clearly states what you say should happen, but they will not budge.

Originally posted by xraymond93 View Post

Thanks.
                  I'm not sure I understand your question. Is it "safe" HOW?? What is it that you're afraid might happen if you re-apply?

They told you you're eligible to re-apply in a year. Of course that doesn't mean that you'll be hired the second time around...but I don't see what you have to lose either. You do realize that you can apply to multiple agencies at the same time, correct? So re-apply there and simultaneously apply elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

And don’t try to BS them as you did on here...

Comment

So essentially you are back to square one because that military experience doesn’t really count. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren’t lying and have an otherwise clean background. Assuming you can skate by with the bare minimum is never a good look.... As it is now, you’d most likely get DQ’d again.

When I applied a few years back, I had a BS in Finance, several years of work experience, trilingual, no criminal record, 800+ credit score, and I still got rejected by multiple agencies.

I have no idea how old you are but you need to go back to school if you want to have a realistic chance of getting hired. Get your AA or even your BA. Get 2-3 years of career level experience and then reapply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9883 users online. 479 members and 9404 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X