300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts Appreciated!!!

I just have a question. I have posted something similar to this before, but in a couple diff posts. I am just wondering what you think my chances would be of getting hired at any police dept. When I was 14-15 I used to shoplift with some of my friends. In that time period I got charged with two harassment, and 1 criminal mischief. The charges have since been expunged. While I was working at a fast food joint, the manager wanted to go home early so he pulled the cash register and pretty much just said do whatever. So there were two cars that went through, and the total for both came out to be like ten dollars. Me and my coworker split the money. About 5 minutes later, I just gave the money to him because I felt horrible about it. So in the end, I did not take any money from the company. The only other thing that I have going against me is bad credit. By the time I apply, I will not be an any debt and will have good standing for at least a year. I have talked to the local pd, and asked about the charges, and the lead BI was not worried about it at all. He was concerned about what I’ve done since I turned 18. Right now I am 19. I know that this looks bad, but what kind of chances do I have? Do you know anyone who has gotten hired with this kind of background? I am a diff person, and I will def tell them about my entire background. I would just like your guy’s opinions. Thank you!!

Originally posted by sbruce87 View Post
    I just have a question. I have posted something similar to this before, but in a couple diff posts. I am just wondering what you think my chances would be of getting hired at any police dept. When I was 14-15 I used to shoplift with some of my friends. In that time period I got charged with two harassment, and 1 criminal mischief. The charges have since been expunged. While I was working at a fast food joint, the manager wanted to go home early so he pulled the cash register and pretty much just said do whatever. So there were two cars that went through, and the total for both came out to be like ten dollars. Me and my coworker split the money. About 5 minutes later, I just gave the money to him because I felt horrible about it. So in the end, I did not take any money from the company. The only other thing that I have going against me is bad credit. By the time I apply, I will not be an any debt and will have good standing for at least a year. I have talked to the local pd, and asked about the charges, and the lead BI was not worried about it at all. He was concerned about what I’ve done since I turned 18. Right now I am 19. I know that this looks bad, but what kind of chances do I have? Do you know anyone who has gotten hired with this kind of background? I am a diff person, and I will def tell them about my entire background. I would just like your guy’s opinions. Thank you!!

Of course he wasn't worried about the issues, he did not commit the crimes. But seriously, you at very least need some time to demonstrate that you have matured. Have you thought about joining the armed services? Serving with honor would be a fantastic way to show maturity. I have a couple question however, did you get charged with the two harassments stemming from a shoplifting incident? Or were they seperate charges? Were you ever charged with theft?
    Last edited by BD0883; 05-01-2007, 09:59 PM. Reason: I need to learn how to spell!
    "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
    "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

Comment

never got caught with the stealing. The harrasment charges came from my mom and my aunt actually. we had gotten into an argument, and my aunt tried grabbing my face, and i pushed her hand out of the way, and my mom was actually slapping me when I was sitting down. I started to get up but lost my balance and tried to grab onto her. They called the police. They charged me with 2 counts of harassment. The police told my mom it was a scare tactic. They said it would not be on my record, lol. It was on my record until I had it expunged.

Comment

Thoughts Appreciated.

There was one part of your first post that caught my eye. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you did say you basically stole money from the register. Then you gave the money you took to your buddy. If you did that, you're still guilty of theft. The previous arrest issues are probably not going to be the kiss of death, as long as you fully disclose them. That includes the charge, and the disposition. Keep in mind that in a police background investigation, there really is no such thing as an expungement. The BI can access ALL of your records. At this point in your life, you're not an ideal candidate. You can change that, but it will take time.

Comment

Technically it was stealing. you are right. And if I had a chance, I would go back and change it. But i cant. So i guess the best thing t o do is jsut wait. I am planning on getting my Bachealours degree before i really start applying anywhere. I will probably be around 22-23 years old. So you guys think I have a shot at that point?

Comment

Hey Dude, Im 21 and got hired by a department. I had some employee theft issues when i was 15, and some shoplifting issues when I was 16. The departments in this area like to have 5 years distance between things. I applied last year when I was 20, failed the BI. I re-applied 10 months later to the same department with a strong work history, good references, one more year closer to a BA degree You'll get in dont worry about it.

Comment

I agree with the earlier post, you do need to show that you have matured. Your incidents at 14-15 years old are not career enders, we were all teenagers. It's a matter of do you continue a pattern or better yourself.

Apply and just be honest when the time comes

Good Luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6692 users online. 360 members and 6332 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X