Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical exam (treadmill stress test failed)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical exam (treadmill stress test failed)

Got my offer on the job and had to do the medical and psych exams for LASD for the position of DST. So I fasted when I was not supposed to because I assumed if blood would be drawn I obviously had to. Didn't eat a thing for like 14 hours before getting on the treadmill stress test. Got up to 10 minutes 30ish seconds then my foot slipped off the back and touched the ground (I've never used a treadmill btw). The attendant stopped the test and said shed have to count that as a fail. I told the attendant at the end that the fasting got to me cause I could have easily passed that (or just stayed on for a minute and half longer) if I wasnt feeling so weak from not eating anything for so long. She said I wasn't supposed to fast and now I have no clue what will happen. This was yesterday and tomorrow I have my psych exam and interview. Doctor said before hand I needed 12 minutes on the thing....How deep in the gutter of un-employment am I?

Originally posted by Aluminum_V View Post
    Got my offer on the job and had to do the medical and psych exams for LASD for the position of DST. So I fasted when I was not supposed to because I assumed if blood would be drawn I obviously had to. Didn't eat a thing for like 14 hours before getting on the treadmill stress test. Got up to 10 minutes 30ish seconds then my foot slipped off the back and touched the ground (I've never used a treadmill btw). The attendant stopped the test and said shed have to count that as a fail. I told the attendant at the end that the fasting got to me cause I could have easily passed that (or just stayed on for a minute and half longer) if I wasnt feeling so weak from not eating anything for so long. She said I wasn't supposed to fast and now I have no clue what will happen. This was yesterday and tomorrow I have my psych exam and interview. Doctor said before hand I needed 12 minutes on the thing....How deep in the gutter of un-employment am I?
    In MOST agency testing ................the failure of any part of the test is a failure of the test. Period
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you failed to meet the minimum medical qualifications (which it sounds like you did). you will be DQed on the medical.

It's not the end of the world. You just have to start all over, go through the entire testing process with this agency or somewhere else and this time be prepared.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Aluminum_V How about you stop mincing around and get the cardiologists low down on the fail. Fasting, being temporarily hypoglycemic, doesn't cause a fail by itself. You've got a trend or an arrhythmia. One of our officers just got a fail from a stress test. after fasting. Doc said he had some waveform irregularity that's been building up for years.

Comment

Originally posted by BetteNoireX View Post
          Aluminum_V How about you stop mincing around and get the cardiologists low down on the fail. Fasting, being temporarily hypoglycemic, doesn't cause a fail by itself. You've got a trend or an arrhythmia. One of our officers just got a fail from a stress test. after fasting. Doc said he had some waveform irregularity that's been building up for years.
          Given that the attendant said the heart-rates were normal and everything else was normal, which I failed to state in the OP, I think she only failed me cause my heel managed to touch the floor before I lifted it to take my next step. However I'll take what you said into consideration.

Comment

Aluminum_V If mt career riding on that test, I sure wouldn't be wishy washy about things. Haven't eaten? An energy bar, a sport drink and maybe an apple, wait a half hour and if that was all that was wrong you'll sail through. And just what does your posture, coordination and balance (how your feet touch the floor) have to do with your heart?

Comment

So I fasted when I was not supposed to because I assumed if blood would be drawn I obviously had to. Didn't eat a thing for like 14 hours before getting on the treadmill stress test.
              There's the first problem, you failed to follow instructions. If they wanted you to fast, you would have been told to fast. The agency knew what they were sending you to do when the eval was scheduled. I know it would have been made abundantly clear if fasting was required.

Comment

Aluminum_V If mt career riding on that test, I sure wouldn't be wishy washy about things. Haven't eaten? An energy bar, a sport drink and maybe an apple, wait a half hour and if that was all that was wrong you'll sail through. And just what does your posture, coordination and balance (how your feet touch the floor) have to do with your heart?
                Are you really this dense, Peanutbutter?

The doc did not determine that anything was wrong with his heart. He was supposed to stay on the treadmill for 12 minutes, but for whatever reason one foot slipped off after 10 and a half minutes. The test wasn't complete, so it was considered a fail by default. That doesn't mean that anything is wrong with his heart or that he isn't capable of passing.

What if his shoe became untied while running and he fell flat on his face? Would you determine that he had a heart defect?

If it were my agency he'd be given a chance to re-do the stress test and complete the full 12 minutes so that a proper determination can be made. If we moved him through the entire process and gave him a conditional offer we sure as hell wouldn't DQ him on a technicality rather than a genuine medical issue. Other agencies might be different.

Comment

Aluminum_V Didn't read past the first paragraph. My apologies.
                  not.in.MY.town Strange food fixation you have. Maybe you can explain? Inside joke? Craving? Allergy?
                  Last edited by BetteNoireX; 05-15-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DD312 View Post

There's the first problem, you failed to follow instructions. If they wanted you to fast, you would have been told to fast. The agency knew what they were sending you to do when the eval was scheduled. I know it would have been made abundantly clear if fasting was required.
                    I agree I made a mistake. Given that there were no instructions on fasting at all on the email I made an educated guess since all my life I fasted before blood draws. So it just made sense at the moment not to eat. However my question is still if I will be DQ'd or not. not.in.MY.town already stated in his agency I might have a shot at a redo due to the technicality of it all. If anyone knows how the Los Angeles Sheriff Department would determine this I'd appreciate any advice. If i got this far being only 22 and my first time applying I'm almost positive ill get it next time anyways.

Comment

not.in.MY.town Strange food fixation you have. Maybe you can explain? Inside joke? Craving? Allergy?
                      Let's call it an aversion to your particular brand of Peanut Butter. Way too much bull**** mixed in for my taste.
                      Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I agree I made a mistake. Given that there were no instructions on fasting at all on the email I made an educated guess since all my life I fasted before blood draws. So it just made sense at the moment not to eat. However my question is still if I will be DQ'd or not. not.in.MY.town already stated in his agency I might have a shot at a redo due to the technicality of it all. If anyone knows how the Los Angeles Sheriff Department would determine this I'd appreciate any advice. If i got this far being only 22 and my first time applying I'm almost positive ill get it next time anyways.
                        We don't know what LASD's testing policies are, they do. The easiest way to find out what will happen is to talk to your contact in the agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8819 users online. 386 members and 8433 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X