300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w/o Childhood Dreams

I've noticed a lot of the posters on this thread start their stories with something like "It's always been my life-long dream to be an LEO..." and I'm wondering if that is common among sworn officers?

My interest in becoming a police officer was born relatively recently, out of a mixture of long-term interest, an incredible internship with a courthouse, and my reaction to a recent public tragedy. Prior to last year, I had been fascinated with the justice system, but felt that it was the purview of other people and that it wasn't even an option to a guy like me.

This contrasts completely with what seems to be the common sentiment with hopefuls on this site, who have been dreaming of being a LEO their entire lives.

I'm wondering, do people who have striven to be officers since childhood make for better recruits? Is it weird to just decide to pursue law enforcement, or is that relatively common? And which kind of person do you think a PD is usually looking for?
    Last edited by NaturalZero; 05-12-2019, 01:22 AM.

Originally posted by NaturalZero View Post
    I've noticed a lot of the posters on this thread start their stories with something like "It's always been my life-long dream to be an LEO..." and I'm wondering if that is common among sworn officers?

My interest in becoming a police officer was born relatively recently, out of a mixture of long-term interest, an incredible internship with a courthouse, and my reaction to a recent public tragedy. Prior to last year, I had been fascinated with the justice system, but felt that it was the purview of other people and that it wasn't even an option to a guy like me.

This contrasts completely with what seems to be the common sentiment with hopefuls on this site, who have been dreaming of being a LEO their entire lives.

I'm wondering, do people who have striven to be officers since childhood make for better recruits? Is it weird to just decide to pursue law enforcement, or is that relatively common? And which kind of person do you think a PD is usually looking for?
    Not unusual at all

I would say in my experience (42 yrs in the business) that the recruit who says "It's always been my life-long dream to be an LEO..." is the minority

I know hundreds of cops who never had a "dream" to be an officer. Many came into LE by accident, by needing a job and the LE job was available, and others who stumbled into the profession and excelled in it.

The guy who is going to soon be our new Chief Deputy is one. He is an EXCELLENT cop, fantastic investigator, and a good guy. But he stumbled into the profession after his military service & has moved up from being a jailer to deputy, to Sgt, and soon will be named Chief Deputy.

EDIT: He told me about a year ago that if he could find a job that paid more and that he could enjoy he would leave tomorrow........While he enjoys the job, it doesn't define him .

Originally posted by NaturalZero View Post
    I'm wondering, do people who have striven to be officers since childhood make for better recruits?
    Most administrators could care less about your dreams. They want team players who have a good background , life experience, and are able/willing to learn.
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• NaturalZero
      NaturalZero commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply. I suppose most recruits aren't digging around on the internet for cop forums, so judging the general population of potentials based on forum posts probably isn't the best cross-section.

Nope. I was the same way. I had no desire to become a cop until I almost graduated college.

Comment

I had some desire as a youth, thats the reason I was in Police Explorers, then joined the military (Security Forces), after I separated, it took me 4 yrs to get on as a cop.
      Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Having two prior generations of police officers didn’t necessarily seal my fate, but it played a big part in it.

You’ll notice the guys who are trying to become a cop say “it’s my lifelong dream” or “I’ve always wanted to be a cop” are the same ones who have lengthy arrest/ticket records and questionable character flaws.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6480 users online. 228 members and 6252 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X