300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I out of the running?

I'm a 20 year old Junior in a Michigan university. I will be going into the academy at the university this coming summer. Just this past January I was working for the Department Of Public Safety at the university when I was told that they were contemplating terminating me and they gave me a chance to resign. The story behind them thinking about terminating me is:

I have a friend who was stopped for MDOP on a vehicle and MIP. I worked as foot patrol for DPS (walked around at night and watch for crime to call in). I was working with the girl that was there the night my friend was arrested. She stated to me that she didn't exactly witness my friend commit the crime but rather my friend was in the area when she heard the breaking noise. I found that interesting and it came up in conversation with my friend. He went in and obtained the police report and they questioned him who informed him of what he knew and he told them I did. The student police report started with "We witnessed the individual..." I was then brought in to explain the situation and was told they were investigating it and would most likely terminate me and I could resign if I wanted to. I took them up on that and resigned. The Sgt. told me he was very pleased with my work while I was there but was really dissapointed with my breach of confidentiality. I'm basically wondering if this is going to affect me in Summer of 2008 when I go to apply at departments here in Michigan as well as other states.

I have also used marijuana in the past. Probably 15-20 times. I first tried it the first summer I was at college (2005) and the last time was Fall of 2006. Do you think this will affect my chances of being hired if I can explain that I have no interest in ever touching it again and stopped it for the exact reason of not wanting to harm me getting a job somewhere.

I would appreciate serious comments on this. These are the two things in my past that I'm afraid will set me out from getting a job. Thanks.

recent marijuana usage will be a big red flag
    your "resignation" will look worse, esp working for a LE organization, but luckily you weren't fired.
    you'll have to disclose everything to your BI and they'll contact your ex-employer.
    it won't look good since it was recent and you were working in a "LEO" non-sworn position and you breached confidentiality (a big no no).

Comment

Where I work, any drug use within the past five years... equals no hire.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by turnera View Post
        He went in and obtained the police report and they questioned him who informed him of what he knew and he told them I did. The student police report started with "We witnessed the individual..." I was then brought in to explain the situation and was told they were investigating it and would most likely terminate me and I could resign if I wanted to. I took them up on that and resigned.
        I'm confused; what are you accused of doing? You said you were with a girl who was with him at the time? What is your connection to this.

However, to answer your general question, yes, it's going to hurt your chances. If you quit in lieu of termination you have a big black mark on your background.

I have also used marijuana in the past. Probably 15-20 times. I first tried it the first summer I was at college (2005) and the last time was Fall of 2006.
        There's no chance of you being hired before 2011. However, even after that it will hurt you a bit because of how many times you used it. I'm not sure from what you said if you were with the police or not during this time, but if you were smoking pot while working with LE, you're going to have a lot of trouble making that go away.

Comment

Out of the Running

The amount and the recent use of Marijuana will be a big red flag. I too, am a little hazy on the reason you were asked to resign. At this point, go ahead and apply, but you can be certain that both the marijuana use, and the circumstances of your resignation will come up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3959 users online. 157 members and 3802 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X