300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go to academy before being hired?

Hello! So my wife and I plan on moving out of state once she graduates college. At the university she goes to there's a basic academy course. I'm considering going to the course so I can have it under my belt and get post certified. I know that it doesn't always transfer from state to state so I'm just wondering if this is a good idea or if I should just wait. I have my bachelor's already and I have 1 semester left of the 9/11 gi bill so I don't necessarily need my tuition paid for by a department. Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you're set on moving out of state, it's probably a waste of time. Depending on the state you're in and where you're going, part or none of your certification may transfer (you will always be required to take certain refreshers like state law, firearms, domestic violence, etc, when transferring from state-to-state). Also, certification isn't non-expiring...you would have to get and keep a commission withing a certain period of time to remain certified.

You'd probably be better off putting your time into researching departments in the area where you plan to move to see what their requirements are. Some departments, for example, won't care if you're certified and will always send you to an academy of their choosing.
    Last edited by Bing_Oh; 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
      it's probably a waste of time.
      Spot on.

Additionally, you are not even truly "POST certified" by completing an academy. The Regular Basic Course (aka police academy) is simply the bare minimum requirement which allows you to perform the duties of an LEO in CA. You have to successfully complete probation with a department to be awarded your POST Basic Certificate. This is something that wasn't fully explained to me when I first became a CA LEO.

Refer to these links for additional information:
      https://post.ca.gov/peace-officer-certificates
      https://post.ca.gov/regular-basic-course

Comment

Thank you, I really appreciate it! There's a lot of information to try and decipher so I wasn't quite sure if it would help or not.

Comment

There's very little consistency when it comes to state to state reciprocity of training. Some states are pretty flexible about accepting out-state training, others are more rigid (one state I am familiar with only accepts an out-state academy certificate when accompanied by at least 2,000 hours of job time).

I personally think national standardization is an issue that should be addressed by the Intl Association of the Chiefs of Police or some other organization that persuades policy makers. Why not have a set of national training standards accepted by all states then offer shortened, state-specific academies for people who've been through a basic academy? Why make people who've been through an academy go through another if it's the same 4th amendment training, emergency driver training, report writing, etc?. Wouldn't it be more cost effective for agencies in states requiring the departments pay for training? Wouldn't it allow for a greater pool of candidates to select from? Wouldn't it allow for quicker time frames to get 'boots on the ground'? It seems like national standardization would make life a lot simpler, especially with today's mobile work force, but I digress...

If you put yourself through an academy- then move to another state to get a job- there's a very good chance you will have to spend another 18 weeks in a fishbowl.. getting barked at by dogbreath instructors at inspection.. running wind sprints at 6am three days a week.. always being one test away from washing out.. blah blah. Many people have had to attend multiple academies in their careers, including yours truly. Mine ranged from self-sponsored community college summer camp fun to para-military structured misery. Not only were all the academies a huge collective time suck, it sure would have been nice to get pepper sprayed once instead of five times...

I would just wait if I were you.
          Last edited by Ratatatat; 05-02-2019, 04:17 PM.
          Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Do some research before spending your time and dime.

As mentioned above , many states don't recognize training from outside their state.

Another issue is that many departments don't recognize 'pay to play' academies at all...others accept some...

Some departments pay you (some more, some less) while you are going through their academy.

The list goes on and on......and yes, getting sprayed numerous times as Ratatatat mentioned isn't fun...neither are multiple taser exposures, gas house exposures, DT gauntlet where they beat the dog crap out of you ect
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• Langford PR
              Langford PR commented
              Editing a comment
              gas house......LOL, yeah!

Boot camp, trying to scream out my ten general orders with snot hanging to my ankles and eyes burnt back to the back of my skull...…...yeehaw, good times

Another thought on the subject of multiple academies...

One might think a list of multiple academies looks good on a resume, as in, "Wow. Look at this Ratatatat guy. He is one highly trained person. Put him on top on of the pile" but actually the perception may be the inverse, as in:

1. He has a hard time committing to an agency.
            2. He can't make up his mind where he wants to be.
            3. He has some bizarre affection with pain and misery.
            4. He's an idiot who can't figure out how to manipulate the system to avoid another academy.

Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6500 users online. 358 members and 6142 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X