Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Being in the Guard a good thing?

hey guys,
    just wondering if being in the national guard is looked at as a good thing when you apply to most agencies/departments ?
    thanks,
    Dwhite725

yes it is good

Comment

It's a dubble edged sword. Military service is alway good. However, I've noticed that some agencies shy away from reserve and guard personnel because of Iraq and the fact they don't want to lose a brand new officer for an unknown amount of time.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

thanks guys - i was thinking along the same lines as what blue ribbon said......... any more replies would be appreciated!

Comment

Any type of military experience is a good thing for the resume. If some depts are shying away from those in the Guard because they may delpoy, I wouldn't want to work for those depts. I am in the Guard, spent a year in Iraq, then got hired by an agency...and later this year will be going to Afghanistan. Most of the guys that got hired along with me were either Guard or Reserves that are possibly deploying again. The training you get in the military is second to none. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dwhite725 View Post
            hey guys,
            just wondering if being in the national guard is looked at as a good thing when you apply to most agencies/departments ?
            thanks,
            Dwhite725
            This question can be looked at in many different views/opinions. One for me is why the National Guard and not Regular Army, etc?

Most agencies, LE will only look at your DD-214. They could care less what your job, etc you did why in the military. All they care is if you were discharged under Honorable conditions.

Although, most agencies now would rather have a college grad, etc. Why, well most agencies would rather have a level-headed person who can calmy evaluation situtaions, then some "young kid" fresh out of the Army, who spent half of his enlistment in Iraq/Afghan and is on a rampage to kill...some, not all.

It's a 50/50 poll on here and has been discussed in depth many times.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
              This question can be looked at in many different views/opinions. One for me is why the National Guard and not Regular Army, etc?

Most agencies, LE will only look at your DD-214. They could care less what your job, etc you did why in the military. All they care is if you were discharged under Honorable conditions.

Although, most agencies now would rather have a college grad, etc. Why, well most agencies would rather have a level-headed person who can calmy evaluation situtaions, then some "young kid" fresh out of the Army, who spent half of his enlistment in Iraq/Afghan and is on a rampage to kill...some, not all.

It's a 50/50 poll on here and has been discussed in depth many times.

Is this an opinion or an observation? This is an old argument. Personnaly I don't see how a degree give one the experience to stay calm under pressure. I do know that combat gives you the experience to stay calm under pressure. A class room or a firefight, HUMM...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TireMan View Post
                Is this an opinion or an observation? This is an old argument. Personnaly I don't see how a degree give one the experience to stay calm under pressure. I do know that combat gives you the experience to stay calm under pressure. A class room or a firefight, HUMM...
                Personally how? Have you served in Combat? Do you have a degree? Are you in LE?

As I stated in my very first sentence, many views/opnions.

Being in a firefight, being blown up by an IED gives you experience how? Being in a classroom, lecture...experience how?

50/50...
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                  Personally how? Have you served in Combat? Do you have a degree? Are you in LE?

As I stated in my very first sentence, many views/opnions.

Being in a firefight, being blown up by an IED gives you experience how? Being in a classroom, lecture...experience how?

50/50...
                  Yes, Yes, and Yes

I totally disagree with your statements. I have been in direct combat, I have a degree and I am in law enforcement and my military "education" blows away my paper "education"!! I can handle myself much better in a stressful situation because I have been in it, not because I am educated. Out to kill someone??? That is the last dang thing I am thinking of when I am out on the street. I have been in many situations where I have pulled my service weapon and I have never shot anyone during my law enforcement career, which I have been in 11 years.

On the other hand, we hired a guy who was probably more education than most on this board (two Masters degrees) and he was an IDIOT!! He had ZERO street smarts and he didn't even pass the academy because he couldn't pass EVOC. Don't give me this crap that anyone who has been in combat just wants to shoot people. I did it because I had to, not because I wanted to. I am glad to be out of that situation. I sure hope if you are going to put down military experience and training, that you served yourself
                  "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

combat, yes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by signal1 View Post
                      Yes, Yes, and Yes

I totally disagree with your statements. I have been in direct combat, I have a degree and I am in law enforcement and my military "education" blows away my paper "education"!! I can handle myself much better in a stressful situation because I have been in it, not because I am educated. Out to kill someone??? That is the last dang thing I am thinking of when I am out on the street. I have been in many situations where I have pulled my service weapon and I have never shot anyone during my law enforcement career, which I have been in 11 years.

On the other hand, we hired a guy who was probably more education than most on this board (two Masters degrees) and he was an IDIOT!! He had ZERO street smarts and he didn't even pass the academy because he couldn't pass EVOC. Don't give me this crap that anyone who has been in combat just wants to shoot people. I did it because I had to, not because I wanted to. I am glad to be out of that situation. I sure hope if you are going to put down military experience and training, that you served yourself
                      Well since my post was not directed towards you, yes I have been in the military and in Combat.

My views/opinions on college education vs. Military for a job in LE, are 50/50. I need not say more, since I am only going to repeat the same post for teh third time now.

My point of "certain" inviduals being "gung-ho" was easily proven with you getting easily irate over a simple post. Anger management does wonders. No pun intended, however to get mad over an ones opinion...tsk tsk.

Again, for anyone else...my views and opinion on college and military for a job in LE, are split, 50/50.

Tireman, thank you for your answer and opinion. Noted.

Comment

military 70/ degree 30 is the way it should be. Military teaches you the one thing you need, discipline, college cant teach that. Actually the best is to have a degree and military background. As far as combat i cant say because im in kuwait where nothing happens, but i have never met anyone that was in combat who was still gunho or ready to shoot someone when they got out of iraq or afghanistan. I still dont understand how you can say its 50/50, college shows you can be dedicated to something for a lenght of time. I will have a ***. degree here next month, and i feel the same and act the same, the military has transformed me into a better person.

Back the original topic- I am in the same situation, when i get off active duty should i stay in the reserves or not due to it effecting my employment chances. I personally know a person who was denied a K9 position becasue he was in the reserve, its not supposed to be that way but it is. My advice is to join the military whether active, guard, or reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                          It's a dubble edged sword. Military service is alway good. However, I've noticed that some agencies shy away from reserve and guard personnel because of Iraq and the fact they don't want to lose a brand new officer for an unknown amount of time.

**Not a cop

when i was picking out who or where i wanted to apply to after i graduate, i asked the recruiters at the agencies in the area, and some were straight up and said the same thing, that they like military people, but not reserve people esp Combat Arms, because we are all subject to deployments nowdays.
                          The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Originally posted by signal1 View Post
                            Yes, Yes, and Yes

Not to diminish your military experience but how much did your military education prepare you for organizing your thoughts, writing a good report, and building a solid court case against a bad guy? Did it prepare you for interacting with the public or conducting investigations? I suspect you do this much more often than you operate in a high stress situation like a fight or a pursuit. If you say your military experience is more valuable to you then I can't argue with that. In fact I feel basicly the same. But give your "paper education" a little more credit.

I also have military experience (no combat) and a degree and I feel that my formal education probably helps me more frequently. However, I think that the skills I obtained in the Army and later in the Academy are more valuable skills in that they keep my butt safe.

On the other hand, we hired a guy who was probably more education than most on this board (two Masters degrees) and he was an IDIOT!! He had ZERO street smarts and he didn't even pass the academy because he couldn't pass EVOC.
                            Sounds like this guy was an idiot regardless of background. Had he joined the military he probably would have been just as unsuccessful there as well.

Today cops need to be well rounded. A cop can be the biggest bad ***** on the block, if he can't articulate the elements of a crime in a report and put together a good case to put away a bad guy then he is just as useless as anybody.
                            Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
                              Back the original topic- I am in the same situation, when i get off active duty should i stay in the reserves or not due to it effecting my employment chances. I personally know a person who was denied a K9 position becasue he was in the reserve, its not supposed to be that way but it is. My advice is to join the military whether active, guard, or reserve.

I've seen this as well, especially in small units (K9, bomb squad, narcotics) where one person going absent for an extended period of time is a large burden for them. We have many on this department in the Guard and Reserves. It doesn't seem to stop them from getting hired or promoted but they primarialy stay in patrol.

For the originator of this thread: Maybe get off active duty, get hired by a department, then go back to a reserve or guard unit. I know several that have done this, including myself.
                              Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3191 users online. 145 members and 3046 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X