Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background process

...deleted
    Last edited by Sig0x; 07-02-2019, 12:33 PM.

Originally posted by Sig0x View Post
    I made it to the background phase recently only to receive crickets after. A few weeks later, I finally got the letter which simply stated they had completed their investigation process and I hadn't been selected to move on. That was it.
    My question is about the process, because it wasn't what I expected. For one, they never actually told me if I passed or failed the poly, even after I asked if they had received the results. They said it usually takes a while for the results to get back and that was all I heard. I also was looking forward to explaining/discussing something in my background that I thought would be important for them to know, relating to my resignation from a job. I was never given the chance to do this, they simply asked ambiguous question after question without coming out and asking me directly about whatever it was they were concerned about (if they were even really concerned about anything, I don't even know.). I'm just wondering if this is typical of background investigations, to not get a chance to actually discuss your background and to not be given a reason for your non selection?
    This department does not have a police commission, if that makes a difference.
    Every agency conducts backgrounds a bit differently. While they usually have the same components .......the investigators often have the ability to mix and match the way they do things.

Also pretty much every background packet I have ever seen has given the applicant a way of "explaining" items that need more information than a "fill in the blank answer. (IE " use a separate page to explain further".

In your case it sounds to me like they found something they didn't like and chose to go with someone else. If they had been more interested in you......they would have given you a chance to chat further with the investigator/administration.
    Move on
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Sig0x
      Sig0x commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I remember the background packet said I could attach additional pages relating to each question "if necessary." I guess I took that the wrong way and didn't realize it was an invitation for any explanations I felt necessary. Definitely won't make that mistake again.

I'm just wondering if this is typical of background investigations, to not get a chance to actually discuss your background and to not be given a reason for your non selection?
    Yes. Unfortunately, get used to this type of treatment. This happened to me many times when I was in the application process. Resilience is key when trying to become a peace officer.

On a side note -- for future applications, disclose all of your information up front. You shouldn't make a habit of having items that you are "looking forward to explaining/discussing" at a later point in time.

Comment

.......and to not be given a reason for your non selection?.....
      Generally speaking, no one is going to discuss your disqualification with you for two reasons.

First, in order to ensure people are candid, employers, neighbors, references, etc., are told the information they provide about an applicant will be kept confidential. Telling you why you were disqualified may identify an information source and violate that promise of confidentiality.

Next, if you were told why you were disqualified, would you say, "OK. thank you" and end the conversation, or would you attempt to question or debate the basis for your disqualification? As far as the employing agency is concerned, the matter has been decided and is not subject to debate or further discussion. But, when given a reason, most people then want to engage in a prolonged debate as to the propriety of their disqualification. The person you are speaking with does not have the time or authority to do so.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Sig0x
        Sig0x commented
        Editing a comment
        Makes sense. Some of it I thought is important for me to know though. Such as if I passed or failed the poly, since the next department will ask me that.

Hello I am currently in the process for a dept. In California, I think I still am I completed polygraph, fingerprints, house visit with my background investigator, I was told a little over a month ago by my investigator he was going to be completed with my background that date has passed and I have not heard anything since. No rejection letter no email nothing. Is this normal? Do California departments all of them still send rejection letters. The final step is a conditional job offer with a medical and psychological exam, do they send out offers weeks before academy or how does this work?

Comment

Originally posted by gav691 View Post
        I was told a little over a month ago by my investigator he was going to be completed with my background that date has passed and I have not heard anything since. No rejection letter no email nothing. Is this normal?
        Yes, it is very normal. Backgrounds and new employees are processed based on the department's needs and time schedule, not the applicant's. You have just learned the first rule of government employment - hurry up and wait.

If you are a California applicant, I assume you have applied to a civil service agency. Thie gives you certain appeal rights if you are removed from the process. With this in mind, you should be formally notified if you are disqualified at this point.

Comment

• gav691
          gav691 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the insight I just wasnt sure what was going on but this helped

There also may be nothing wrong with your background and they just had a list of better qualified applicants. There could be 300 applications for 10 spots, and as the process moves along only the top "X" number move on. Just throwing that out there as an alternative reason.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
          There also may be nothing wrong with your background and they just had a list of better qualified applicants. There could be 300 applications for 10 spots, and as the process moves along only the top "X" number move on. Just throwing that out there as an alternative reason.
          It doesn't work that way in California. "Better qualified" is determined two ways. First is by your position on the list. If someone is better qualified then they are higher on the list than the applicant. No agency is going to waste personnel resources doing backgrounds on applicants who are lower and not yet reachable on the list.

Second is when you are disqualified on the background. Backgrounds here are pass/fail. If there i something in your personal history that meets the criteria for DQ you are gone. There is no selecting one person over another because they seem more qualified. When an applicant gets a letter saying they have elected to go with other "more qualified" applicant, it means they have been disqualified. Such letters are a polite way of saying applicants who have passed the background are "more qualified" than those who were disqualified.

I don't know why people have trouble wrapping their heads around this. The written and oral exams have already determined your qualifications for the job and scored you high enough to be considered for employment. The purpose of the background is to verify your identity, confirm you meet the minimum criteria for the position (DL, citizenship, education, etc.) and determine whether there is anything in your personal history that meets the criteria for disqualification. There is no scoring or weighing one applicant over another. It's pass/fail. If you are a civil service agency (as most are) the department cannot arbitrarily remove you from the hiring process because they "like" another better than you. That defeats the whole purpose of civil service. If you got an "other more qualified" letter, it's a candy coated way of saying you were disqualified.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

I don't know why people have trouble wrapping their heads around this.

Not everyplace is California

It is done in other ways in other places

In Iowa sheriff's offices are Civil Service. Getting on the Civil service hiring list gets you an interview.

The agency is free to hire anyone they choose as long as they are on the list
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I'm just wondering if this is typical of background investigations, to not get a chance to actually discuss your background and to not be given a reason for your non selection?
              You could always call and ask what happened. Bigger departments have people with titles like "civil service examiner" who may (or may not) access your file and give you some information. Smaller departments often don't have civil service personnel, but someone still made assessments and a decision based on those assessments.

I did the above a few times and got varying results. Some calls went straight to automated voicemail and no response. Some would only give the final ranking ("you placed 51st and the top 50 were referred for the final hiring certificate"). I remember writing one small department where I made the top ten for two openings and the chief responded with a two-page letter explaining why other applicants were hired and offered suggestions for improvement.

If this is rejection is bothering you, give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
              What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Not everyplace is California

It is done in other ways in other places

In Iowa sheriff's offices are Civil Service. Getting on the Civil service hiring list gets you an interview.

The agency is free to hire anyone they choose as long as they are on the list
                But stop and think about it. Backgrounds take a lot of time and are costly to perform. Would they do backgrounds on several people just to pick what they deem to be the best one of the group? Do you SO's have that kind of resources and budget?

OK, let's assume they do. What happens to the non-selects? Do they go back on the list or are the eliminated from the process? If they stay on the list, the letter should say so and state they will be considered for future vacancies. But the lettter does not say that. Eiminating them doesn't make sense just because someone had a prettier background, so its a good bet "other better qualified" means they were DQed for cause .

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

But stop and think about it. Backgrounds take a lot of time and are costly to perform. Would they do backgrounds on several people just to pick what they deem to be the best one of the group? Do you SO's have that kind of resources and budget?

OK, let's assume they do. What happens to the non-selects? Do they go back on the list or are the eliminated from the process? If they stay on the list, the letter should say so and state they will be considered for future vacancies. But the lettter does not say that. Eiminating them doesn't make sense just because someone had a prettier background, so its a good bet "other better qualified" means they were DQed for cause .
                  My sheriff hired a guy last week that was turned down last year when we hired. The same list was used. Quite honestly the person who was hired last year was LESS qualified for the position but politics played their games

We usually hire ONE at a time..............

Interviews are given and the command staff picks the one they like................a background is done & if they like the background.....they are hired.

We are going to hire at least 1 more off of that list. Most likely it will be a certified person who once again interviewed for the last 2 openings & was passed over as not the best "fit' for the department. Then again the sheriff might decide to go another direction and hire someone to send to the academy

Nobody gets a letter ...............a person is just offered the job and the rest get to wait until the list is expired unless there is some legal reason why the person is unemployable. THEN a disqualification letter is issued In the past in my agency that has been discovered a few times during the background
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-03-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Nobody gets a letter ...............a person is just offered the job and the rest get to wait until the list is expired unless there is some legal reason why the person is unemployable. THEN a disqualification letter is issued In the past in my agency that has been discovered a few times during the background
                    Thank you for making my point.

Comment

Hello,
                      Does anyone know if departments in Northern California Bay area region send rejection letters if rejected or if you completed background investigation do they wait to send out conditional job offers very close to academy date or do they give the person more then a month notice?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4987 users online. 298 members and 4689 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X