300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• receiving stolen property.

about two years ago, my friend and I went to a flee market and there were dvd's for sale that were 4 for $20. So, my friend and I split it 2 for $10 each.

Then, about 10 months ago I asked my friend if he had the other two dvd's because I wanted to borrow them, but he said he had lost them. He said that he had a couple other's if I wanted to borrow those and I was fine with that. He told me that his friend had stolen them from a video store some time before, and not thinking, I just said ok.

a while later I was just thinking about it and all of a sudden it hit me that I had received stolen property and thus comitted a crime. I took the dvds back to him the first chance I got and told him that I didn't want them.

so, I'm just wondering how much of a problem you all think this will be. thanks a lot.
    Last edited by IAmJeff; 02-02-2008, 04:36 PM.

Criminal intent? May or may not help your chances. Best to be honest with the BI's and they'll make their decision after all the facts are gathered.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You made a mistake and tried the best you could to make it right later. Be honest, I don't think it's going to hurt you nearly as much as you think it is. Worse case scenario you have to wait a couple years, but even that probably won't be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
        Criminal intent? May or may not help your chances. Best to be honest with the BI's and they'll make their decision after all the facts are gathered.
        I'm confused as to what you mean by criminal intent. I didnt go to him asking if he had any stolen dvd's, if that's what you mean. sorry I dont understand

Comment

Generally speaking you must have intent or prior knowledge that the item(s) was/were stolen in order to commit the offense. I read that you did not know at first, but later discovered this fact and returned the dvd's. So, I said this may or may not help your situation.
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

well, he gave them to me and during the same coversation told me that they were stolen. So, I mean, technically, I guess I did gain possession of them without knowledge of them being stolen, but I also kept them until a later date which is my bad. and I'm not planning on playing innocent based on a technicality, lol. it was stupid on my part and I know it.

Comment

Recieving Stolen Property.

Jeff, at law, there are basically two types of intent. General intent. This applies in misdemeanors, and is expressed in the saying that " A person does that which he intends to do" The second type of intent is specific intent, and proof of this is generally required in a felony case. Okay, that's the law in most, if not all states. If your friend informed you that the DVDs were stolen, and you still accepted them, you've basically committed the crime of recieving stolen property. Whether or not that is a felony will depend on the value of the property you recieved, and the laws of your state. Could this become an issue if you apply to a LE agency? You bet it can. Should you apply, somewhere in the process, you'll be questioned as to whether or not, you've stolen anything. This question will apply whether or not you were charged.

Comment

If they were given to you and you were told they were stolen, that's a problem since you still accepted them. If you had accepted and not known your friend had stolen them (even if you thought they MIGHT have), you'd be in a better position. That mixed with the fact it's recent, will probably cause you problems. Of course it's dependant on the BI...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2462 users online. 167 members and 2295 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X