300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fto failure

I worked @ a state agency on the east coast ( Delaware area) and was unable to complete fto my issues were mostly driving ( I never caused a collision, I “almost” did ( according to them), but fact is I never did. I would also question myself on whether I saw violations correctly & would ask for my work to be reviewed ( ability to work w/o supervision) , I knew what I was doing but wanted it to be double checked. My issues are correctable , the driving IMO is a non issue.I did struggle but towards the end of training started to get the swing of procedures on certain calls and felt more comfortable. I didnt feel comfortable for the first month because I was unsure of proper procedure. Any way my concern is that this failure will doom me when I look for other LE work on top of that I was terminated I choose not to resign in the rare case I would be extended.

Does anyone know of any agencies that are willing to give washed out officers a second chance ,@ this point I’m willing to go anywhere and through another academy..

It's not impossible, but it's going to be a serious stain. Departments won't want to risk the time and pay on someone that may not be suited for law enforcement.

It sounds like you struggle with confidence and decision making. As far as the driving issues I'm sure it's not in their heads. You must have been operating in an unsafe manner whether you cause a crash or not. Those things won't justvget thrown around
    NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
    List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
    APD -???

Comment

I'm going to address a few things before I give you recommendations. Please, consider them with an open mind...

First, we drive A LOT in law enforcement. It's realistically probably the highest-liability activity we do simply because we put in a lot of hours and miles behind the wheel, frequently in less-than-perfect conditions and sometimes at high speeds. Someone who has frequent "near misses" is bound to have a crash in this profession, probably sooner rather than later, just by pure odds. For a department, that's a legitimate concern.

Second, you cannot frequently second-guess yourself in this job. An officer has to be able to make quick, decisive action when legal, warranted, and necessary. This is an issue that can have true life-or-death consequences.

Third, LE is a highly independent job. Working without direct supervision isn't optional...it's a basic job criteria.

Now, considering all of the above, I highly recommend that you start by doing a REALISTIC (and I mean brutally honest) self-assessment to decide if you really should be in LE. Nobody here can tell you if you do or not...we don't know you and have never seen you work. You, however, can decide that...but remember to push past the ego and emotional reaction to being dropped from FTO and look at yourself dispassionately.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's possible to get past a failure in LE.

My first full time LE job was a disaster. Looking back now, I can admit that I was too young, immature, and lacking in life experience to succeed. I made it past FTO, but realistically probably should have been dropped. It took significant time and work to correct myself and succeed. In the same breath, some people simply aren't built for this job...that's not a criticism, just a reality. Someone who isn't mechanically-inclined shouldn't be a mechanic. Someone who can't draw a stick figure shouldn't be an artist. Some professions simply aren't universal. LE is one of those jobs.
      Last edited by Bing_Oh; 04-17-2019, 11:00 AM.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by L3o1112 View Post
        I worked @ a state agency on the east coast ( Delaware area) and was unable to complete fto my issues were mostly driving ( I never caused a collision, I “almost” did ( according to them), but fact is I never did. I would also question myself on whether I saw violations correctly & would ask for my work to be reviewed ( ability to work w/o supervision) , I knew what I was doing but wanted it to be double checked. My issues are correctable , the driving IMO is a non issue.I did struggle but towards the end of training started to get the swing of procedures on certain calls and felt more comfortable. I didnt feel comfortable for the first month because I was unsure of proper procedure. Any way my concern is that this failure will doom me when I look for other LE work on top of that I was terminated I choose not to resign in the rare case I would be extended.

Does anyone know of any agencies that are willing to give washed out officers a second chance ,@ this point I’m willing to go anywhere and through another academy..
        I know a number of officers who failed FT at their first agency. Most of them were able to find another agency and thrive (one is now on her THIRD agency after the first two didnt work out )

Its an uphill battle but not NECESSARILY insurmountable.

A few points that stand up and slap me in the face....................

, the driving IMO is a non issue.
        This REALLY bothers me.............................................. In Field training YOUR opinion isn't a factor. The trainers OPINION was that you were not cutting it to agency standards. That is what matters
        but towards the end of training started to get the swing of procedures on certain calls and felt more comfortable
        By the end of FT you should be able to do the task not just "started to get the swing of things"

would also question myself on whether I saw violations correctly & would ask for my work to be reviewed ( ability to work w/o supervision) , I knew what I was doing but wanted it to be double checked..
        So you knew what you were doing was not up to standards but you still continued to do what was "wrong"
        I am sure your trainer remediated you on this.............and you chose to ignore their suggestions.

My issues are correctable
        Well , YES, your issues were correctable. It seems from what you typed here........................you just chose NOT to correct anything while in field training

on top of that I was terminated I choose not to resign in the rare case I would be extended
        This tells me that you have a hard time taking a hint.....................or reading the writing on the wall

The bottom line is MANY academy graduates are just not cut out to be cops. One of the things Field Training is designed to do is weed out those who fall into that category.

Being able to pass the academic portion of police training is only half of the battle. The officer must be able to put that knowledge into action in real life. It seems you couldn't do that without more supervision that normal.

As stated above , maybe you need to do a REALISTIC review of your last year or so of training and decide if you really are trying to do something you are not cut out to do. Having a dream is not necessarily enough
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-17-2019, 12:12 PM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Sometimes there are personality conflicts and sometimes the FTO just isn't a good example or teacher for new officers. Sometimes rookies just are not cut out for this line of work.

It's not an automatic DQ but it definetly won't help. IMO your best chance is to stay in state and keep applying.

Missed this, "would also question myself on whether I saw violations correctly." How does someone correct this?

You can take classes for the driving but seeing violations correctly? Glasses or mental health issue?How are you going to testify in court? Judge I think I saw the defendant run the red light but I don't know if I saw the violation correctly? WTF?!
          Last edited by westside popo; 04-17-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I don't get how you think "almost causing" an accident isn't an issue. I was in my POV a few days ago and a lady blew through a red light, almost causing an accident with me, as well as another driver, who missed taking off the front of her car by inches. Since there wasn't an actual crash, everything is okay? You have an uphill battle, but you may recover.

Comment

Driving was an issue mostly due to my poor knowledge of patrol area ( I would be wary of driving 80 mph on a curvy road , & it was very hard to see the road due to the darkness but that’s not an excuse

westsidepopo - what I mean by questioning what I just saw is I would second guess myself, example I’m stopped at an intersection and several vehicles go by us one of them has a loud exhaust but I’m not sure exactly which vehicle it is , I would be afraid of pulling over the car then it isn’t them. I didn’t want to be wrong so that made me hesitate.

Comment

• J2H
                J2H commented
                Editing a comment
                It is natural to second-guess yourself, but when it becomes a hinderance, then you have a problem.

Just apply everywhere man. I know of guys that have been fired in FTO phase because of their performance but have gone on to be great at other departments. My current department would pick you up...they'll hire just about anybody.

Comment

• L3o1112
                L3o1112 commented
                Editing a comment
                What agency I’m just serious ?

I've posted before about a couple of departments in my area in bankruptcy who will hire anyone that can fog a mirror and has their certificate. $14 an hour, no benefits, no pension. Not what I would recommend...

I would propose looking at your situation from a different perspective. Think of life as a potters wheel, and you're a chunk of wet spinning clay. Just like a potter's hands can change the shape of the clay by exerting pressure, things happen in life which alter one's destiny.

Then why repeat what occurred with an identical outfit if outcome is likely to be the same??

Instead, learn from the experience, and grow and adjust. Consider the myriad of alternatives, and ask is there a place you would be better suited based on previous experience. Think outside the box. For example, community colleges in many states have their own campus police. They have cars for patrolling their small campuses, but spend a lot more time on foot, on bike, on Segways, etc.

To echo Iowa#1603, many people who failed at one place have succeeded elsewhere. The trick is to re-calibrate, and not give up. Sing that old Tubthumping song to yourself- "I get knocked down. But I get up again. You are never gonna keep me down. I get knocked down, But I get up again. Whoo weee ohh weee…."
              What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

My biggest issue was be able to make a decision whether right or wrong and roll with it, I wouldn’t take the lead on calls because I was unsure of exactly what to do . I should of been more aggressive in stopping everything, just throwing myself out there so I can make mistakes and learn from them. my inaction for fear of being wrong was worse then taking action whether right or wrong

I KNOW I can do the job just need a little more time.

this failure is tougher to accept because

1.it was a state agency which are notably harder to get into I waited 5 yrs to be accepted and was a live in academy smh # time wasted ?

. 2. Lossing that pay

3. It would get easier After fto I would be stationed like 40 mins away , in a more urban familiar area and we would not do all the work I did in fto

4. Agencies that may take me will not pay nearly as much as this one in YEAR ONe without a TON of overtime or having a lot of time on
                Last edited by L3o1112; 04-21-2019, 03:06 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

• J2H
                  J2H commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You should have told your FTO or supervisor that you were not ready and wished to extend FTO.

Now you’re talking smack about the agency. This shows me a correct decision was made to terminate you.

You need about 10 years to mature.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• L3o1112
                  L3o1112 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your are correct my actions were immature

Funny they fire me but another recruit who ALLEGEDLY shoots himself while @ a bar off duty is still working for them. That is some straight up BS if that is in fact true.

My biggest issue was be able to make a decision whether right or wrong and roll with it, I wouldn’t take the lead on calls because I was unsure of exactly what to do . I should of been more aggressive in stopping everything, just throwing myself out there so I can make mistakes and learn from them. my inaction for fear of being wrong was worse then taking action whether right or wrong

I KNOW I can do the job just need a little more time.

this failure is tougher to accept because

1.it was a state agency which are notably harder to get into I waited 5 yrs to be accepted and was a live in academy smh # time wasted ?

. 2. Lossing that pay

3. It would get easier After fto I would be stationed like 40 mins away , in a more urban familiar area and we would not do all the work I did in fto

4. Agencies that may take me will not pay nearly as much as this one in YEAR ONe without a TON of overtime or having a lot of time on

Funny they fire me but another recruit who ALLEGEDLY shoots himself while @ a bar off duty is still working for them. That is some straight up BS if that is in fact true.
                This isn't about him, it is about you

If you weren't there you don't know it happened.

I am beginning to think I know why you were let go

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Now you’re talking smack about the agency. This shows me a correct decision was made to terminate you.

You need about 10 years to mature.
                We do have a NYSP detective active on this forum
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-17-2019, 06:01 PM.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• L3o1112
                  L3o1112 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your are correct my actions were immature

CCCSD just seems unfair & I don’t need to mature I’m old enough.

Comment

CCCSD just seems unfair & I don’t need to mature I’m old enough.
                  No. No, you’re not.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Driving was an issue mostly due to my poor knowledge of patrol area ( I would be wary of driving 80 mph on a curvy road , & it was very hard to see the road due to the darkness but that’s not an excuse

westsidepopo - what I mean by questioning what I just saw is I would second guess myself, example I’m stopped at an intersection and several vehicles go by us one of them has a loud exhaust but I’m not sure exactly which vehicle it is , I would be afraid of pulling over the car then it isn’t them. I didn’t want to be wrong so that made me hesitate.
                    You just need PC / RS to stop a car. Once they're stopped investigate it further.

I stopped a car once for loud music and the driver respectfully denied it. I investigated it. It turned out to be the wrong car so I let her go.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10863 users online. 456 members and 10407 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X