300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices

Obviously, it makes sense to apply to a bunch of departments to improve the chances of getting picked up somewhere, but since each agency has a different process and timeframe for hiring, what happens if you get an offer from one (not your top choice, for example), but haven't heard from any others? I'm guessing you don't have much time to accept if offered a job.

This is my opinion, but you should take a job offer even if it isn't your first choice. A foot in the door is a foot in the door, and if you attend an academy and get POST certified, chances are better for you getting to lateral to the department you really want later on. By then you will have street experience, training, and a much easier time getting onto the department you want. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Shaidon; 04-30-2007, 05:32 AM.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

^^ Agreed.

My only advice....be careful still where you apply and apply to only those you would actually want to work in, not just any dept. There is no assurance in this profession you'll get a transfer where you want to go, and there is nothing worse than working somewhere you absolutely hate with no where to go.

Comment

Choices

There is an old saying: "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush". A job offer is a job offer, and I suggest you take it. There is always the possibility you can be hired by the agency you preferred later on. Many applicants apply at several agencies. It's a pretty good strategy. It's also nice to have choices. Take the position if offered.

Comment

Do you have to notify the other departments if you accept an offer? If not, I guess if you ended up getting in with "the one you wanted," you could simply drop the first one?

Comment

I applied at three departments. I was informed that I was being given a conditional offer from one, the same day I had my oral boards for the third. I told them, when asked about my other applications, and we agreed that it would be best not to conduct a background unless my conditional for #1 fell through.

I then immediately contacted the second department and told him I had a conditional, and that I planned on accepting the job had it turned into a formal offer. We spoke about the man hours involved in the remaining part of the background investigation and decided it was best to only proceed if my conditional fell through.

All of the parties involved thanked me for not wasting their time and told me to call them in a couple of years if I want a change of scenery. Everyone is in a different situation, but I would suggest a similar approach... I do not believe in burning bridges and I do not want to be known as a guy who played departments off of each other.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4243 users online. 223 members and 4020 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X