300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probabilities…

Out of 100 PD applicants, what percentage of them are typically dropped due to failing their polygraph, BI, psychological exam/interview, drug & medical screenings, or just generally dropping out of the hiring process?

I'm one of 253 applicants vying for 1 of 70 academy seats and would like to know my chances numbers wise. I have passed all of the above, just waiting on the chiefs final selections.

If you've done polygraph, psych, and medical, then I'd assume that you've already received a conditional offer of employment. That pretty much means, unless YOU got disqualified because of one of those things, you should have the job. Police departments don't spend money on people they don't intend to hire (assuming all goes well in the costly part of the process).
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Average 50% per section.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Average 50% per section.
        That is pretty close to what I have seen in the last few years in my area
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful Blue View Post
          Out of 100 PD applicants, what percentage of them are typically dropped due to failing their polygraph, BI, psychological exam/interview, drug & medical screenings, or just generally dropping out of the hiring process?

I'm one of 253 applicants vying for 1 of 70 academy seats and would like to know my chances numbers wise. I have passed all of the above, just waiting on the chiefs final selections.
          Only 253 applicants for 70 spots?

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

If I remember correctly, there were just under 600 that took the written test and oral interviews. The more I read on this forum, the more confident I feel about my chances.

Comment

Unless you are in the 50%...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Average 50% per section.
                ^ This.

On average, every step in the hiring process will weed out 50% of the applicant pool. For departments around me that means roughly 1.5% to 3% of applicants make it through. Then you need to pass FTO.

With only 253 candidates for 70 spots, obviously the chances are higher. Although, any intelligent department would simply leave the spots unfilled rather than filling with suboptimal candidates. My department constantly weeds out the entire hiring pool. We are never at full staffing...

kind of like every other department.
                Last edited by Myhammy; 04-19-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I was shocked............................we have two deputies that are retiring/resigning. VERY small Sheriff's Office in Iowa

We put out notices and we got EIGHT applicants

Last time we had ONE opening we had 40 show up for testing
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

That has become normal now Iowa. Less desire for the job and more applicants that have no business applying.
                    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP View Post
                      That has become normal now Iowa. Less desire for the job and more applicants that have no business applying.
                      Oh I know that..............the numbers have been going down but only EIGHT when we had 40 only a year ago

We start out pretty good for the area and almost always get a lot of certified applicants from small PD's

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I was shocked............................we have two deputies that are retiring/resigning. VERY small Sheriff's Office in Iowa

We put out notices and we got EIGHT applicants

Last time we had ONE opening we had 40 show up for testing

Oh wow. I should put some of our applicants on a charter flight to Iowa.

For our last testing cycle two years ago we had over 800 applicants. We only had two immediate openings to fill, and we've since then hired three more from that pool. We still have about 20 on the current list that we'd be more than happy to hire if we had more openings...

Comment

Can't imagine where you work that you only have 2 openings.. lol.

As an agency we're about to be down 150-200 positions.

We always work on Minimum staffing, and that's with multiple people on overtime each night. People are retiring constantly.

There have been several articles about the shortage that I've seen. Many departments are actively poaching when that used to be a huge no-no only a few years ago.

Its only going to get worse at this rate too.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                            not.in.MY.town commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I imagine there's a lot you can't imagine...lol.

We're at full authorized strength. That number has changed over the years depending on budget and other factors, but we've never had a lack of qualified applicants to fill positions as they open up.

• Iowa #1603
                            Iowa #1603 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Of the 8 applicants we have THREE very good candidates (two of them were "runners up" during the last hiring cycle.)
                            We have another retirement coming sometime in 2019/2020 too

Originally posted by USMCGrunt03 View Post
                          Can't imagine where you work that you only have 2 openings.. lol.
                          The vast majority of the 17,000 police agencies in the United States have less than 50 sworn officers................and most of them are closer to less than 20.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                            not.in.MY.town commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My department doesn't fall into either of those categories, but it always amazes me when people can't fathom that their own agency may not be representative of the majority of agencies across the country. Not that I haven't been guilty of that myself from time to time...

• Iowa #1603
                            Iowa #1603 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I have worked in an agency of 4000 officers too...............That agency was and never has been and never will be at full capacity because the legislature keeps messing with both the budget and the benefit package. The recently cut out the testing for the agency and have nothing but an interview and STILL can't get qualified candidates.

Originally posted by Hopeful Blue View Post
                          A lot. And keep in mind that getting hired is just the first step- you still have to pass your academy, then FTO, and even then you're probably still going to be a probationary employee without union protections for some time, an employee that can be fired for any reason or for no reason, at any time, until you have finally passed probation.

In my case, I don't know how many applicants there were at the first step (the written), but I'd guess it was around 1,000 people. After the physical agility test, oral board interview, drug screening, polygraph examination, psych testing, psych interview, medical exam, and background investigation, 22 of us were there for the first day of our academy. Six of us graduated and went on to FTO. By the time I was off probation, there were only five of us left.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7363 users online. 252 members and 7111 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X