X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns with being hireable in Florida

Good afternoon,

give some background information;
    I’m 23 ( just recently graduated with a bachelors in CJ) and I’m currently seeking employment with a law enforcement agency.

- I’ve never been arrested or had any trouble with the law outside of traffic history.
    - I just recently went on another agency and passed everything except my psych ( therefore I was dropped from the process)
    - used marijuana in high school 2010 no other drugs besides that
    - have had a few jobs with atleast 8 months in each ( full time student throughout that time )

- Traffic history

1. 2/15/2019 - Parking ticket ( ran out of time on meter )
    1. 3/12/2017 - improper pass
    2. 1/30/2017 - expired reg (dismissed)
    3. 1/30/2017 - ran stop sign (dismissed)
    4. 9/18/2015 - careless (rear end collision)
    5. 11/05/2014 - careless (rear end collision)
    6. 10/06/2014 - speeding
    7. 10/22/2012 - speeding

As the title says, what do you guys think are my chances at getting hired ? Should I be worried ? Or should do you think eventually I’ll get a chance? Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

I can only speak for my agency but you'd be waaaayyyy down on the list, if on the list at all, due to your traffic history. I'd say a minimum of a few years from your last violation is a minimum safe bet. To be blunt, your history shows a pattern of conduct of unsafe vehicle operation, which means insurance may not cover your operation of an agency vehicle.

Comment

Your traffic history demonstrates a willful disregard and/or inability to comply with the law (take you pick). Were an agency to hire you and you were to then get into an at fault traffic accident with a department vehicle, your employer and whoever signed off on your background would be looking at a lawsuit for negligent hiring. No one is willing to risk losing their life savings and house in a lawsuit just so you can have your dream job. Sorry dude.

Try applying for a job as a dispatcher or one where driving a vehicle is not a requirement.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
        I can only speak for my agency but you'd be waaaayyyy down on the list, if on the list at all, due to your traffic history. I'd say a minimum of a few years from your last violation is a minimum safe bet. To be blunt, your history shows a pattern of conduct of unsafe vehicle operation, which means insurance may not cover your operation of an agency vehicle.
        Appreciate the feedback, correct me if I’m wrong but you would deem me unhireable as a I currently stand ? If you were in my position would you still try or just cut your losses?

Comment

• careerchange#2
          careerchange#2 commented
          Editing a comment
          To be blunt, if your background came across my desk I'd list you as "not recommended" which is one of two options I have...."recommend for hire" or "do not recommend for hire." It's ultimately up to the bosses but based on what I see right now, the types of violations and timeframe, sorry not a shot I'd recommend you.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Your traffic history demonstrates a willful disregard and/or inability to comply with the law (take you pick). Were an agency to hire you and you were to then get into an at fault traffic accident with a department vehicle, your employer and whoever signed off on your background would be looking at a lawsuit for negligent hiring. No one is willing to risk losing their life savings and house in a lawsuit just so you can have your dream job. Sorry dude.

Try applying for a job as a dispatcher or one where driving a vehicle is not a requirement.

I appreciate the honest feedback, as it stands.. I have a rough traffic history, but I was under the impression that as long as I can improve over time, I can regain a better status as a candidate. Again, I’m not going to be ignorant and pretend I sure spot.. but would you really just not even over look my application. There more to my traffic history than meets the eye. First accident was due to poor weather conditions, second was a mechanical error due to the operator (I.e driving a stick shift vehicle) minor damage in both incidents. Anyways, I won’t take too much of your time up, Thanks.

Comment

• Bing_Oh
          Bing_Oh commented
          Editing a comment
          LEO's drive...ALOT. We drive in all kinds of weather and traffic conditions. Sometimes, we have to drive fast while multitasking. And, because of all these things, driving is a HUGE potential liability for a police department...if you screw up behind the wheel and get someone hurt on duty, your department is going to be paying for it. So, driving history can be a deal-breaker.

Man says NO! GOD Has the final say.

Comment

• KingdomMan954
          KingdomMan954 commented
          Editing a comment
          took the word right out of mouth ^^^^^^^^^^ keep applying my brother. Gods will not thy will shall be done

I don't now what your chances are but, yes, you should be concerned about your driving history.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I can only hope for the best and just keep trying.. if it’s your dream, you should never give up. I just gotta steer clear and let time create space and stay out of trouble.

Comment

God has nothing to do with selection. Ignore those stupid posts.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• road94
              road94 commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha sounds good. Sometimes you just gotta filter things... although most have no hope, you can’t give up no matter what the circumstance is... my situation isn’t a complete waste of time, just might not ideal at the current point of time. Patiences ... good things come to those who wait, I’ll stand firm on that. Thanks for your input brother

You're still a young man, give it a few more years with no more hiccups. Just because charges were dismissed doesn't change the fact that the incident didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Volcher1 View Post
              Man says NO! GOD Has the final say.

gallery_5897_31_49360.jpg

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

In my area (big U.S. city surrounded by suburban cities then small towns) there are two kinds of departments: PDs that pay a decent wage with pension and full bennies and PDs that pay $14 an hour with no bennies, no nothing. The latter PDs pay peanuts because the cities are in municipal bankruptcy, state receivership, or are just plain impoverished communities where half the buildings are torched shells, there's no residential tax base, and all that's left of a once-thriving economy are the many polluted and abandoned industrial sites. If God were to will this for you, with the background you describe, I think it would be with one of those hellhole PDs....
                There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

• road94
                  road94 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Everything is steps, if that’s what it takes to get my foot in the door... then maybe that is what it takes. There is a lot of people here in Miami that have no business being LEOs but still make it through.. although traffic might be an issue on my ending still qualified in other areas that some aren’t. Time is the only thing that can change that... so for the time being patiences and finding a department that will give me an opportunity is all I can hope for. Come to realize most of you on the forum are very critical but I’m sure lots of you have plenty of skeletons in your closet. No one is perfect.. thanks for the feedback again.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                In my area (big U.S. city surrounded by suburban cities then small towns) there are two kinds of departments: PDs that pay a decent wage with pension and full bennies and PDs that pay $14 an hour with no bennies, no nothing. The latter PDs pay peanuts because the cities are in municipal bankruptcy, state receivership, or are just plain impoverished communities where half the buildings are torched shells, there's no residential tax base, and all that's left of a once-thriving economy are the many polluted and abandoned industrial sites. If God were to will this for you, with the background you describe, I think it would be with one of those hellhole PDs....
                or corrections....

(That's a joke everyone, so lighten up)

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post

or corrections....

(That's a joke everyone, so lighten up)
                  Unfortunately its the truth
                  Few Corrections agencies hire to Law Enforcement standards

THAT is a disservice to the profession
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Unfortunately its the truth
                    Few Corrections agencies hire to Law Enforcement standards

THAT is a disservice to the profession
                    Couldn't agree more

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11985 users online. 457 members and 11528 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X