Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just didn’t live my life like a robot doing everything military esque and law enforcement bound—and realized it’s okay to be yourself and if you like ink then So be it. As long as you do not break the law, then be happy. That’s fair thinking in my opinion. Not having Tattoos must make good officers. I guess I went to college for nothing. Lol trucker it is...
    The low dirty truth is departments like to hire people that present themselves in a professional manner, and as proud as you are of your neck tat and your gorilla with a crown, it's not endearing to most hiring managers. The same could be said for other cosmetic changes people do to themselves, like gold teeth or freakishly distended ear lobes. I could have a 3.9 GPA but if I walked into an interview with Flava Flav teeth and ear lobes with big gaping holes, I shouldn't be surprised if my application went in the NO pile.

I tell Millenials all the time: get all the tats you want but nothing on your face, neck and hands. No LOVE HATE on your fingers. And don't get weird sh*t on your forearms, like a gargoyle humping a mermaid. Decisions have consequences later in life and what seemed like a good idea in 2009 might not work out so well in 2019.

Your swimming upstream trying to get hired with a big neck tat, or will have to put on more makeup every morning than a tv anchorman. But it doesn't mean you have no chance. There's a department in my area in a poor city (in state receivership for years now) and it went through a bankruptcy process where the police department was revamped to no pension, no health care, no 401K, no nothing just a straight hourly salary of $14 bucks an hour. Amazingly they have twenty-five officers, and the local press did a story about how every one of them had skeletons in their closet from other departments and this was the only gig they could land. So places do exist that might say- "Neck tattoo? We don't care if your eyelids are tattooed. As long as you can fog a mirror!"
    What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

You'll need tougher skin -- inked or otherwise -- if you want to get hired and/or succeed in this profession.

Letting a few critical comments get you riled up enough to post personally identifiable information and personal photos on a public forum shows a lack of maturity and level-headedness I would consider to be a bigger problem than where you have your tattoos. What are you going to do when a training officer 'counsels' (or is it 'councils', oh Wise One?) you for screwing up on a call? Maybe you can pull out your fancy book-learnin' degree and wave it in his/her face.

TL;DR: You asked a question and got some answers. I recommend moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger9314 View Post

I'm in agreence on the neck tattoo... but if you are gunna criticize his writing ability on a forum, you MAY want to get "higher" vs "hire" straight
        You're correct and I certainly know the difference. But my damn phone's auto correct does not and I missed that one before posting it .

I see a lot grammatical and punctuation errors in posts on the forum and normally don't say anything about it unless it's like the OP's first post.

Why post his GPA then write like that? Not a good first impression! Then consider the tattoos and the fact that he apparently knows a lot of agencies have policies against them. Yet he gets them anyways and comes here to complain about the policies.

My impression is he's going to be a problematic employee! We just had one officer like the OP. He was smart and learned some stuff quickly. Yet when we tried to correct him on the stuff he did wrong, he would whine about it and kept doing it wrong. He doesn't work with us anymore but I still have citizens tell me about the dumb stuff he did.

What does "gunna" mean?

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          JohnnyNYPD4Life commented
          Editing a comment
          I could say you are whining about tattoos that don’t effect the job at hand. In fact a tattooed officer may be a better cop than one who doesn’t have them. He may even be more relatable to the public. Which is why so many departments removed policies mandating covering tattoos on the arms. Just because your telling me your oppinion on tattoos?

I would never be a problematic employee. I have 9 years work experience. Stood as a personal banker for 7 years with multiple promotions in New York City. My background and work history is wonderful. You can assume all you want. But you don’t know anything about me.

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          Editing a comment
          If anything I’m only looking for a faster solution to getting hired while having tattoos on my neck. If I stated I’m willing to remove the tattoo if I have no choice...thats being problematic? Sounds like I’m willing and ready. I came here for more possible outcomes. Didn’t get anywhere. So I know what to do. Thank you

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          Editing a comment
          And don’t be jelly of that GPA!!

• J2H
          J2H commented
          Editing a comment
          GPA doesn't mean squat to a department, most times they don't care that you have a degree. You are fighting an uphill battle, my friend.

What does "gunna" mean?
        'Gunna' means the same as "finna"- Millennialese for 'I'm about to do something'.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=finna
        What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyNYPD4Life View Post
          Great! Now how are you going to apply what you learned in college?

Whining about their policies isn't going to help you! Find a department that's OK with your tattoos or get them removed.

Comment

I met a young lady that is an officer in my state with a neck tat, it wasnt as obvious as yours though. She is very smart, educated lady and has done well in her career. Its not going to be easy. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

'Gunna' means the same as "finna"- Millennialese for 'I'm about to do something'.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=finna
              LOL!

I didn't get into texting until about 3 to 4 years ago and I still text in complete sentences and use punctuation.

Our 65 to 70 year old judge sent me a text the other day that said, " ur warrant is ready [.]"

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

My impression is he's going to be a problematic employee! We just had one officer like the OP. He was smart and learned some stuff quickly. Yet when we tried to correct him on the stuff he did wrong, he would whine about it and kept doing it wrong. He doesn't work with us anymore but I still have citizens tell me about the dumb stuff he did.
                I'll agree with that.....................

LOL!

I didn't get into texting until about 3 to 4 years ago and I still text in complete sentences and use punctuation.

Our 65 to 70 year old judge sent me a text the other day that said, " ur warrant is ready [.]"
                "
                I still text complete sentences most of the time also...not necesarily punctuation ................

I resisted the smart phone for a long time but broke down a couple years ago partially because my SHERIFF was texting me so much and my flip phone didn't do texting well.......
                The SHERIFF does the "u need anything?'' too
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• westside popo
                  westside popo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guess I'm a little OCD. If I do text something and forget the punctuation or put the wrong one, I got to resend the correct punctuation.

I had a flip phone when I started at my last department. When they would send me texts on it I sometimes wondered if they were being *******s or just screwing with me.

You're correct and I certainly know the difference. But my damn phone's auto correct does not and I missed that one before posting it .

I see a lot grammatical and punctuation errors in posts on the forum and normally don't say anything about it unless it's like the OP's first post.

Why post his GPA then write like that? Not a good first impression! Then consider the tattoos and the fact that he apparently knows a lot of agencies have policies against them. Yet he gets them anyways and comes here to complain about the policies.

What does "gunna" mean?

You must be the life of the party with all that grammar policing you do. Auto-correct or not, if you're GOING to throw stones at least make sure you are squared away.

There are a lot of people that post on this forum that are less than quality citizens, but I don't feel the OP is that. I just think he made a decision on body art that doesn't mix with law enforcement. If all else is true (no criminal record, high GPA, etc), he's only dealing with a correctable issue.

Did he take the replies too seriously? Sure. But in no way did that initial post give off the impression he'll be a problem. He simply asked for advice
                NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
                List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
                APD -???

Comment

Guess you haven’t learned how to read between the lines...
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

im willing to have a career putting my life on the line, and willing to risk my life doing what I know I am meant to do. That to me is more important than a non offensive tattoo that is placed somewhere the rule book says is prohibited. While also this doesn’t affect my ability to do police work whatsoever. That being said, thank you for the advice. Thank you for the judgement. I will get it removed. Already looking for the best place in Texas for the most effective tattoo removal.

Comment

• CCCSD
                    CCCSD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You will be judged EVERY DAY by those Officer you work with. Didn’t factor that into your process there, did you? You think thaIF you are hired, all judgement about you stops? You’re accepted? Nope. EVERY DAY.

Grow up.

Also thinking of BORDER PATROL!

Comment

• CCCSD
                    CCCSD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never happen.

im willing to have a career putting my life on the line, and willing to risk my life doing what I know I am meant to do. That to me is more important than a non offensive tattoo that is placed somewhere the rule book says is prohibited. While also this doesn’t affect my ability to do police work whatsoever. That being said, thank you for the advice. Thank you for the judgement. I will get it removed. Already looking for the best place in Texas for the most effective tattoo removal.
                  The main job of a police officer is to enforce the rules / laws and hold others accountable for breaking them!

Sure there's rules / laws that we don't agree with but we still enforce those laws. It's our job!

The more you post the more you remind me of that other officer I mentioned earlier. I recommended against employing him when he applied.

I'm not saying you'll never be employed as a LEO but your choices will be limited.

Posting your picture and diploma wasn't a smart thing to do.

Comment

Sounds like someone is jeolous of that GPA huh?
                    Not JEALOUS at all and I don't care what your GPA was in college. What counts is how you will apply it on the job.

But advertising your GPA like that, then writing like that, makes you look like an idiot.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by westside popo; 03-17-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
                      Editing a comment
                      it’s a police forum. Not a scholastic forum. Relax my man. You take your self too serious on this minus the diss remarks. Posting my gpa was just letting the people know I graduated with “superior academic achievement.” As most law enforcement jobs say in their descriptions for advanced pay. You obviously are a moron and non educated.

• westside popo
                      westside popo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes some departments give pay incentives for officers with degrees. I worked for one of those departments. They didn't care what my GPA was, just the BA degree.

The main job of a police officer is to enforce the rules / laws and hold others accountable for breaking them!

Sure there's rules / laws that we don't agree with but we still enforce those laws. It's our job!
                    And those wanting to enforce the law should be willing to follow the rules of their employer even if they don't agree with those rules

Not JEALOUS at all and I don't care what your GPA was in college. What counts is how you will apply it on the job.
                    In 42 plus years in law enforcement I have NEVER been asked, nor has my college GPA been discussed by an employer, lawyer, or judge.
                    I know a number of people who graduated with ADVANCED degrees who didn't have the common sense to pour urine from a boot
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• LSUTiger9314
                      LSUTiger9314 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Responses like that are what prove them right... don't take their bait

• J2H
                      J2H commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Millenials are turds. I'd hate to see what we become when they take over. Why is 42 yrs in a career bad? You planning to do 10 and leave?

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
                      Editing a comment
                      42 years in law enforcement is admirable and I actually take inspiration from hearing this! West side popo. However i am not inspired by the judgmental comments you placed toward me. But I forgive you. Your still my brother buddy. If I said anything disrespectful I apologize! But Mellenials will be taking over. I mean it’s a fact.

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
                      Editing a comment
                      J2H really turds? Lol man that’s harsh. I plan on doing 25 and retiring when i am 55

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12004 users online. 480 members and 11524 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X