Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck tattoo

Hello everyone,

I recently graduated from the university of Texas with a bachelors in Criminal Justice. I have always been fond of tattoos. I have sleeves. I have a neck tattoo as well. However I am now considering getting my neck tattoo removed in order to do police work. But before I do I wanted to ask on here if anyone knows any departments anywhere in the country that will hire a qualified applicant with a neck tattoo. I am Willing to cover it up on duty so that it is not visible. I know every department is different, I have been looking around. The tattoos on the arms I know departments are becoming more lenient towards mellenials. But a neck tattoo or face or hands is usually always prohibited. I’m 32 years old. No criminal history. Graduated cum laude 3.69 GPA. I love studying CJ. I really want to do law enforcement. I’m open to moving out of Texas. But it would be nice to stay here since I graduated in south Texas. The lock is ticking for me, need to make moves fast. Neck tattoo removal will probably take a year! And the cost. But if it needs to be done, it will be. But I prefer to be able to have the freedom of self expression off duty. On duty, professionalism is important. The public have a negative oppinion on tattoos usually. I get it. I’m okay with it. But don’t not hire me because I have tattoos. There are advanced concealers which I used as a banker for 7 years. No one could tell I had a tattoo during this period. Water proof , weather proof and took 10 min per day to apply. Sorry for the rant. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! And sorry in advance if I posted this question in the wrong place.

To me, neck tats are an example of bad decision making. Chicago and NYPD permit neck tats. If you want to stay in Texas, I believe San Antonio allows them to be covered up. There are many freedoms of expression that are available to the general public that are not available to off duty officers, so you better get used to that.

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      JohnnyNYPD4Life commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicago pd says it’s prohibited. So does nyc.

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      What source did you hear this? Thx

For someone that just graduated college with a high GPA your writing skills needs improvement.

Sorry to tell you but I wouldn't hire you for the tattoos if the desicion was mine. You can "self express" some where else.
    Last edited by westside popo; 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      Guess I came to the right place for help.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Nobody wants cops that look like MS-13 rejects...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      I guess there are so many cops that look like MS-13 rejects already hired on then. So many have tattoos. Even some on the hands. Maybe they are criminals also? What you think?

A year ago I was at a training event involving multiple departments and one guy had SS crackerbolts on his forearms. I was like... wha tha fa....

Standards have become looser than 20 years ago but tattoos on necks and hands and face are still generally frowned upon. And it may depend what it is: a pair of opposing sparrows? Or Satan's skull breathing fire??

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      I agree. My neck tattoo is the word “blessed” and 2 wings. None of my tattoos are obscene or offensive in nature toward anyone. Either way I’m willing to cover them up with uniform and Concealment. I’m not trying to show them off. I just feel it’s unfair to not hire someone based off of their tattoos considering they are deemed not offensive. Why not just let us cover them up. If you already are doing this with arm tattoos. It will eventually happen. If enough lawsuits are filed.

Departments that permit tattoos on the neck, face, or hands are going to be few and far between. There are still plenty of departments with restrictions on ANY visible tattoos!
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      I’m fine with covering them up. All of them. I wouldn’t argue that. I will argue not hiring someone because they have tattoos considering they aren’t offensive in nature regardless of placement. We have Tattoo concealer make up these days. No isssues covering it up. Should we not hire someone because of their skin color next? Tattoos are on the skin right? A little discriminatory....

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      Especially if we start talking religious tattoos.

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, your opinion isn't the one that matters when it comes to hiring...it's the opinion of the person making the hiring decision that matters. As I said, many departments still have strict hiring guidelines when it comes to tattoos (including not permitting them even if they're covered). There's nothing discriminatory about it because it doesn't fall under legal discrimination guidelines...tattoos are a choice, not skin color that you're born with. And, unless you can prove that your tattoo is required by your religion, that's not a valid argument, either. There have been multiple lawsuits filed over issues regarding hiring and tattoos and, to my knowledge, not a single one has gone against a department.

Getting worked up about it on an internet message board isn't going to change anything. There are varying opinions in LE about the "professionalism" of tattoos, but you're going to have to deal with the reality of the situation. If your ink is that important to you, then you're going to have to realize that it's going to severely limit your hiring opportunities in this profession...that's the nature of the beast, no matter how much you dislike it.

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
    For someone that just graduated college with a high GPA your writing skills needs improvement.

Sorry to tell you but I wouldn't higher you for the tattoos if the desicion was mine. You can "self express" some where else.
    I'm in agreence on the neck tattoo... but if you are gunna criticize his writing ability on a forum, you MAY want to get "higher" vs "hire" straight
    NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
    List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
    APD -???

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      Shocked that we are spell checking on a forum where speed is important. Thx.

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      What is so “speedily important” about posting on a forum? You REALLY need to figure things out. I’m guessing your beloved NYPD shot you down in the process..?

NYPD had a Deputy Inspector with a neck tat
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
      Editing a comment
      He most likely got that tattoo well on into his careeer where they couldnt discipline him for it.

Sounds like someone is jeolous of that GPA huh? Lol wow fellas. I wrote this pretty quickly. Let me write to you guys as if I were still writing 15 page papers at the University. MS-13 members? Really? I don’t know any MS-13 members, or any gang members with tattoos like the ones that I have. That’s growing up in the most diverse city of all- Brooklyn NYC.

Thank you to the few who commented with useful information trying to actually help. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll also attach a photo of my degree and maybe even my neck tattoo for the naysayers. There are many police departments who are relaxing their (used the right “their”) Tattoo policies. It’s a common trend happening as we speak. I see I’m already being judged and you haven’t even taken a look at me with that MS-13 comment. Yes I’m in for a battle eh? Lol my neck tattoo is wings, with the word blessed black and gray. . A work of art. I’m willing to remove it showing my dedication. Something gang members wouldn’t do.

Nypd doesnt hire with neck tats. San Antonio doesn’t allow either. Not even cover ups. But thanks. Any other good info will help. I’ve seen federal agents with neck tattoos.

Comment

• Ratatatat
      Ratatatat commented
      Editing a comment
      In all honesty- never once has anyone asked what my college GPA was. I think that only matters for law school admission or applying to Wall Street brokerages.

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to send photos of my tats for approval when I was applying... neck tats are hard to cover up, as some places don't allow long sleeves (for arms) and turtlenecks (for necks) in the warmer months

None of my tattoos are obscene or offensive in nature. Normal artwork ink. I’m sure many of you have some.

Comment

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      I doesn't matter what they say... its the fact they are there.

Originally posted by JohnnyNYPD4Life View Post
    Sounds like someone is jeolous of that GPA huh? Lol wow fellas. I wrote this pretty quickly. Let me write to you guys as if I were still writing 15 page papers at the University. MS-13 members? Really? I don’t know any MS-13 members, or any gang members with tattoos like the ones that I have. That’s growing up in the most diverse city of all- Brooklyn NYC.

Thank you to the few who commented with useful information trying to actually help. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll also attach a photo of my degree and maybe even my neck tattoo for the naysayers. There are many police departments who are relaxing their (used the right “their”) Tattoo policies. It’s a common trend happening as we speak. I see I’m already being judged and you haven’t even taken a look at me with that MS-13 comment. Yes I’m in for a battle eh? Lol my neck tattoo is wings, with the word blessed black and gray. . A work of art. I’m willing to remove it showing my dedication. Something gang members wouldn’t do.

Nypd doesnt hire with neck tats. San Antonio doesn’t allow either. Not even cover ups. But thanks. Any other good info will help. I’ve seen federal agents with neck tattoos.
    You were nothing but respectful and the guy that called you out butchered his own post.

Dont let them them get under your skin
    NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
    List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
    APD -???

Comment

Not getting under my skin brother. Thank you!

Comment

• CCCSD
        CCCSD commented
        Editing a comment
        Already did. You have some growing up to do.

Originally posted by JohnnyNYPD4Life View Post

Comment

Comment

• Ratatatat
          Ratatatat commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't consider Corrections. That might be what works out here....

Years ago, I worked in the rural south in a county with a state prison. They still had old school chain gangs, twenty inmates swinging sickles on the side the road with a couple of bosses standing there with shotguns, just like in Cool Hand Luke. I was struck by how similar the tats were among both prisoners and staff and how they all addressed each other by street names. When I talked with some of them, I was also struck by how many of the staff had been in gangs as teenagers and how many of the inmates wanted to be in law enforcement as teenagers.

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          Editing a comment
          CCCSD yea d bag. That’s what your girl would say? Lol we would never see a picture of you cuz you probably look like a dwarf square. Get picked on when you were little?

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          Editing a comment
          Ratttatat or whatever your corny name is...no thank you buddy. I’ll be a better officer than you any day.

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          Editing a comment
          CCCSD. And they’d see my education. Unlike you. Dwarf.

You were on the right track by being respectful, but then you let the negativity get to you. Just stop while you’re ahead.

I work in the San Francisco Bay Area and know some coworkers with neck tattoos. Not a big deal to us. People try to get under your skin in this profession, don’t fall for it because you make yourself look foolish.

Comment

• JohnnyNYPD4Life
          Editing a comment
          Quit while I’m ahead? Lol relax man. I can reply. If they want to be jerkoffs...they’ll get her off responses. I’m not taking anything serious brother! I’m good man. I just don’t stay quiet when people know absolutely nothing about me. I’m eating popcorn laughing at the comments. Thanks for the mention of San fransisco. Crazy expensive to live there though bud!
          Last edited by JohnnyNYPD4Life; 03-17-2019, 12:12 AM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11593 users online. 450 members and 11143 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X