300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my chances

Ok, Heres my background. Ill be 20 this year and I want to go into an academy next June. When I was 14, I got in trouble for shoplifting. I had to go to a hearing and had to take a class. I immediately did the class and it was expunged. I was not booked or anything like that. I also smoked marijuana probably 10 maybe 15 times my freshman year and none since. I have 2 tickets. One for speeding and one for failure to stop at a stop sign. I am currently in good standing at my job. I have a good reputation with everyone that knows me except for my ex g\f. We broke up 3 years ago and she hates me, especially now because im dating her friend for 2 years now and it is getting serious. She is saying things like i cheated on her and I was dealing drugs prior to when I dated her and during the time I dated her. This is not true by any means.

What are your thoughts. Will my BI even talk to her?

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Daniel_Tuttle; 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
    PPD

Application Turned in - 3/10-2008

Written Test - 5/31/2008

Sounds just like my background before I got hired....'cept for the crazy girlfriend-accusing-me-of-selling-drugs thing.

Hmmm, I'm from Maryland too. Her name isn't.....nah, nevermind, can't be.

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Don't take offense to this but take a few English and Composition classes at the college level. Give it some time, and don't worry about the petty things (ex) and highschool style drama issues you are bringing up.

Comment

What are my chances?

Actually, they may be pretty good. A note of caution concerning "expungement". I say this a lot, and I hope my colleagues on these forums don't get hacked at me, but there is no such thing as an expungement where a police background check is concerned. The key to the whole thing is honesty when you fill out your SPH, or Background Package. Include the ex-girl friend thing, although I really don't think that's going to be a problem. Be certain to list the juvenile charge you mentioned, as well as the citations you listed.

Comment

Sounds like you can do it, just be honest, don't cover up anything, most background investigators WILL find out, so don't take a chance
          law dog

Comment

Thank You for your insight! I get on here and I read these posts about people who have not so good backgrounds and you guys let them know that they have no shot and I was worried about mine being the same way. I realized Ive made mistakes and that they may hurt my chances but I want to prove I have changed!
            Just to keep you updated im earning a degree in Criminal Justice and pretty soon I want to get first responder trained or ems and joing the local volunteer Fire Department to prove I have matured and that I am community Oriented and I am willing to give up my time with no pay to help people. Hopefully this will help towards my ultimate goal (a career in Law Enforcement)

Any Thoughts?
            PPD

Written Test - 5/31/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Tuttle View Post
              Thank You for your insight! I get on here and I read these posts about people who have not so good backgrounds and you guys let them know that they have no shot and I was worried about mine being the same way. I realized Ive made mistakes and that they may hurt my chances but I want to prove I have changed!
              Just to keep you updated im earning a degree in Criminal Justice and pretty soon I want to get first responder trained or ems and joing the local volunteer Fire Department to prove I have matured and that I am community Oriented and I am willing to give up my time with no pay to help people. Hopefully this will help towards my ultimate goal (a career in Law Enforcement)

Any Thoughts?
              Having those on your background is good, but at the same time it can help or at times not help you get hired. The CJ degree, well thats another topic, but most agencies (Police) are not looking at a CJ degree or even the Vol. Firefighting. Having a steady employment background is always positive. Being community oriented, well thats good for a small town dept.

The whole ex-G/F deal from 3 yrs ago, don't sweat it. The shoplifting incident, it's not "expunged" when applying for a job in LE. Hopefully it was not me who arrested you...(Maryland)... anyway, just be honest and good luck.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Haha well the officer was really nice. He came in and did his thing then my parents came in and said you can go with them. (that was at the store). He could have taken me in but he didnt. So I think I was lucky. I know its not expunged when I apply and I will be open and hjonest about it.
                PPD

Written Test - 5/31/2008

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5588 users online. 327 members and 5261 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X