300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Interview

I just had my first oral interview about 2 weeks ago. The interview was with the Chief and a Lieutenant from the department. The interview lasted over 2 hours, and I was only asked about 5 questions. They asked why I wanted to be a LEO, if I had a girlfriend, did I drink, was I a religious person, and would I be alright with using deadly force. The rest of the time was spent telling stories about past calls they have had. I have never heard the words f***, b***j***, or p**** in a 2 hour period in my entire life.

I consider myself a very professional person and I was just wondering how many more interviews like this do I have to sit through? I am sure there are many departments that emphasize professionalism, what is the best way to find them? And have you ever had an interview that was similar, and if so what did you do? Thank you very much.

I've never heard of an interview like that.

Comment

Wow... my oral interview was less than 6 minutes altogether. That one would actually make me less tense though, especially if you passed, just because the people giving it to you aren't what we all envisioned them to be.

"Mr. it's time." The interviewer said. I nodded and got up and went into the room, the lighting was dark, only the interviewers eyes, a total of 6 eyes for 3 interviewers was seen. It felt like a horror movie, when I looked back towards the door, it was as if it disappeared. I looked forward and saw the chair that was all lit up like an interrogation chair you'd see in the movies. Sitting down, I awaited the gruesome questions that were to come in the oral interview

That's honestly what I was expecting, therefore I prepared for it. When I actually took it and the guy was kicking back, asking some simple questions, I was like . I guess I was worrying for nothing hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by champs23 View Post
        I just had my first oral interview about 2 weeks ago. The interview was with the Chief and a Lieutenant from the department. The interview lasted over 2 hours, and I was only asked about 5 questions. They asked why I wanted to be a LEO, if I had a girlfriend, did I drink, was I a religious person, and would I be alright with using deadly force. The rest of the time was spent telling stories about past calls they have had. I have never heard the words f***, b***j***, or p**** in a 2 hour period in my entire life.

I consider myself a very professional person and I was just wondering how many more interviews like this do I have to sit through? I am sure there are many departments that emphasize professionalism, what is the best way to find them? And have you ever had an interview that was similar, and if so what did you do? Thank you very much.
        It may have been their way to see how you reacted to that type of stuff. You should have a relatively good idea whether the dept you applied for is professional or not....don't just base it on the interview unless you know that is how the people act in there. Any dept emphasises professionalism....we're under scrutiny all the time.

But....a friendly word to the wise. If that sorta stuff bothers you, consider that you're going to here a lot worse by someone out there. I can't say I don't swear like a navy sailor on occasion when I'm talking to a few of the guys outside of the public eye.

Comment

Oral Interview

Your interview sounds a little "out of the box". That's not to say it didn't serve a purpose. I've always viewed oral boards/interviews as vehicles to do two basic things. One: the agency takes a look at you. Two, and equally important, in my view, you get an opportunity to sell yourself to the agency.Hope things work out well for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5689 users online. 318 members and 5371 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X