Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LAPD] First meeting/interview with my BI - Expectations and what this means

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.
    Trawled through a lot of the threads but couldn't find any info specific to my inquiry so apologies if I've missed a similar thread.

Just yesterday my BI contacted me requesting an in-person meeting/interview and based on what I've read, it's a good thing if you aren't contacted by your investigator during this process as that means there are no discrepancies in your initial background report. Even though I have a clean history and have absolutely nothing to hide, I'm still a bit nervous. Is this all part of the normal process? If so, what can I expect from this meeting?

Again, apologies if this has been answered already.

EDIT: Adding a note that I've gone through all of the other steps - Department interview, poly, psych, medical, physical, etc.
    Last edited by Kouri81; 02-28-2019, 01:09 PM.

If all is normal, you should have two meetings with your BI.

The first will be to go over your personal history package and get a feel for what kind of applicant your are. Personal history packages are long, complex and no one gets them all right, so he will have questions. Don't be afraid. It's not a big deal unless you were not thorough, detailed and accurate in completing your package. (It's amazing how many applicants send them in half filled out and are proud of what a good job the did.)

The second contact will be towards the end of the background and is called a discrepancy interview. During the background the BI will come up with information that does not match yours. An employer may have different dates that you did. A relative, neighbor or coworker may have bad mouthed you. It could be anything. It could be minor or it could be major. As an example, my attorney's son, a police applicant, had his car stolen. When it was recovered, it was completely stripped and he was paid for the full value by his insurance. As is the practice in the industry, his insurance company then became the owner of what was left of his car. He then made a deal with the insurance company to buy back what was left of his car and he rebuilt it. His nosy neighbor, who had no idea as to what was going on, told the BI he had committed insurance fraud and reported his car stolen when it really wasn't. Of course, this came up in the discrepancy interview. It took him about a month to put together all paperwork from the auto theft, recovery, insurance payout, purchase from the insurance company and receipts for replacement parts to demonstrate there was no fraud and that thjs was an up and up deal. The process extended his background, but he was hired.

Unless you are a screw up or have something to hide, don't worry about the interviews.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1
      Thank you very much for providing further information and insight. Really appreciate it. I'm almost certain there won't be any discrepancies as I've been an open book and haven't had any major incidents throughout my life. I definitely feel less anxious now. Again, appreciate that you took the time to respond. Thank you!

Comment

Bumping this thread as I've got an update.

So on March 27, my LAPD background investigator emailed me informing me that he has completed his investigation report on me and that he would be submitting it for escalation to the relevant personnel.

It's been just over a month with no word. Should I be worried?

Fyi, my PFQ score was 59 and I know some have said a score of 70 increases your hiring chances so I'm wondering if I'm being held back by my score. For added context, I have not done a ride along or attended CAPS. Do these have an impact as well?

Any and all insights are welcome.

Comment

The department has hundreds of backgrounds to go through at any given time so don't worry yet. You aren't the only person they're dealing with. Your background investigator probably has at least a dozen him/herself so be patient.

Not attending CAPS, doing a ride along, visiting a station, or talking to a few officers will not affect your background investigation, although it may affect your overall score during the Department interview. That just means you might not get into an academy as fast as someone who did these things.
          Last edited by LA Copper; 05-07-2019, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
            The department has hundreds of backgrounds to go through at any given time so don't worry yet. You aren't the only person they're dealing with. Your background investigator probably has at least a dozen him/herself so be patient.

Not attending CAPS, doing a ride along, visiting a station, or talking to a few officers will not effect your background investigation, although it may effect your overall score during the Department interview. That just means you might not get into an academy as fast as someone who did these things.
            Understood. Thanks so much for sharing. Really appreciate it. For some added context, I went through the expedited process and passed the department interview and polygraph thus far so I hope everything turns out ok in the end.

Comment

[UPDATE]

Received a letter from my case manager of my ineligibility due to "employment issues." It goes on to state: "we strongly encourage you to reapply at any time, once you have: A letter from your employer stating that you have established no less than twelve consecutive months of full-time employment free of any disciplinary action including reprimand, suspension, and/or termination... Once you have obtained the above noted requirements, please submit your documentation to the address below and include your name and the last four digits of your SSN."

My question is, should I stay at my current job for the next 8 months to fulfill the 12 months or try to contact my case manager and appeal? I've had one employment issue throughout my 10+ years of employment and feel totally blindsided by this decision.

Would appreciate everyone's insight on this.

Comment

Do what you have been instructed, or just move on from LAPD.

Comment

Originally posted by Kouri81 View Post
                  [UPDATE]

Received a letter from my case manager of my ineligibility due to "employment issues." It goes on to state: "we strongly encourage you to reapply at any time, once you have: A letter from your employer stating that you have established no less than twelve consecutive months of full-time employment free of any disciplinary action including reprimand, suspension, and/or termination... Once you have obtained the above noted requirements, please submit your documentation to the address below and include your name and the last four digits of your SSN."

My question is, should I stay at my current job for the next 8 months to fulfill the 12 months or try to contact my case manager and appeal? I've had one employment issue throughout my 10+ years of employment and feel totally blindsided by this decision.

As someone who was involved in backgrounds, hiring and firing for over 10 years, I can offer the following:

Appealing is not saying you want additional consideration, or a do over, or that you really want the job, so please, please, please. There are only two grounds for a successful appear:

1. That the disqualifying information they have about you is inaccurate and does not meet their criteria for disqualification. Given that you don't know what derogatory information they have or what their criteria is for disqualification, you are going to have difficulty with this one.

2. That their criteria for disqualification has no reasonable relationship to the job you are seeking. Again, as you don't have a copy of their disqualification criteria, you are going t have difficulty here as well.

So, with this on mind, what will you base your appeal upon?

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

[UPDATE]

LAPD requires at least one year of "good" employment history. You don't need to be at the same job for 12 months, but you need to have positive employment even if you leave one job and go to another. Try not to move from job to job. I would suggest you stay at your current job and stay away from any disciplinary actions. You have what's called a soft-deny meaning it can be fixed as soon as you meet the criteria they're looking for. Don't appeal it because it could end up in a deny and they can put you out longer. Stay at your current job and keep in mind Personnel is looking for documentation from your employer that you've been a great employee for at least 12 months.
                    Last edited by LA_Backgrounds; 07-15-2019, 02:21 AM.
                    Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                    http://www.policebackground.net
                    Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

[UPDATE]

You've only been with your current employer for four months?

What was the specific "employment issue"(s)?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4535 users online. 266 members and 4269 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X