300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply to agency question...

Since there is a lot to do after applying to an agency, as far as background, etc... is it possible to apply -first-, just as you are about to attend the academy?

I'm uncertain if you absolutely have to be certified before applying for a sworn position. I just thought it would speed things up - that way, you could almost be done with the hiring process (if you got through, of course...) by the time you finished the academy.

Hope I made sense. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by NYCBound View Post
    Since there is a lot to do after applying to an agency, as far as background, etc... is it possible to apply -first-, just as you are about to attend the academy?

I'm uncertain if you absolutely have to be certified before applying for a sworn position. I just thought it would speed things up - that way, you could almost be done with the hiring process (if you got through, of course...) by the time you finished the academy.

Hope I made sense. Thanks guys.
    so you're planning on sponsoring yourself to the academy? why not wait to get sponsored so you don't have to pay for anything?

most agencies don't require you to be certified if you're applying for police recruit/trainee position. there might be a police recruit/academy graduate position. or police lateral position (which requires experience)

you can go the route you described. but the agency might pull you out to attend their academy. it's a risk you take, esp since you might not be guaranteed a job after you graduate being self-sponsored. i sponsored myself for a 1 year academy. i got hired in 3 months and sponsored the 2nd half of the academy. many aren't so lucky.

Comment

It's true. I sponsored myself, payed about $3500, graduated 11/17/06, and am still looking for a job. Getting the Cadet position with a Department is the way to go. Then when you graduate your off and running. The hardest part is having a better background then the 300 other applicants. Everyone's looking for officers, but there's always 100's of applicants for every open position. You'll really do yourself a favor by getting hired first. The stressfull part will be done.
      "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2508 users online. 153 members and 2355 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X