300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May I have your opinions please?

I'm really interested in a career in law enforcement and with that said, I have a few ideas in mind that I think might help me be more competitive against the other candidates. If anyone would be so kind as to share their opinions concerning my ideas, I would be very grateful.

1. Start volunteering. All of the PDs in the area have volunteer opportunities and it seems like a good way to get some experience as well as my foot in the door.

2. Apply for a 911 Dispatcher position. I figure this will also provide a ton of relevant experience and may help my chances as I will then already be an employee of a police department. (I have over 5 years of customer service experience, 1+ in a high volume telephone service center.)

3. Get even more in shape. I've been working on physical conditioning for the past 3 months and I've made some nice gains. However, I know I still have a lot of work to do. My goal is not to meet the minimum qualifications, but to exceed them.

4. Start taking some college classes. I plan to do this for obvious reasons.

Any advice that you folks can offer would be great! If you have any other suggestions that you would like to give, I would appreciate it as well.

Opinions Please

All of the items you mentioned sound Okay. I don't know that I'd apply for the 911 Operator position unless it was the only spot open. Nothing against dispatchers, but I got the impression you want to be an Officer. The first step in the entry process for Officers, Dispatchers too, is usually the written exam. In order to advance to the next phase of the hiring process, you'll probably need to score in the mid to high nineties. If you advance to the BI phase, be prepared for some waiting. Background checks can take up to six months, sometimes more. There will be Oral Boards, oral interviews, and for Officer positions, more than likely, you'll be required to pass a physical agility test, as well as a physical exam. The entry process varies from agency to agency, but there will be plenty of "hoops to jump through".

Comment

Those are all good things, however I don't know that the communications will be any faster than the officer job. Plus, they probably wouldn't want to spend all the time training you if you already knew you would be an officer later. I would just apply at the departments you want, keep doing what you're doing and see what happens. One department might not take you, the next might love you. It's all one big WAITING game. Some people get annoyed, but we are talking about giving someone authority and a GUN, I'm glad that the police don't just hire people to hire them.

Comment

Be reserve officer if you have time, that has taught me alot.

Comment

Just like everyone else, I'd stay away from the dispatcher position. I would go for a Cadet position and let the agency send you to the academy. Most agency's, at the Cadet level, are just looking for a clean background, good people skills, and physically fit people. They want to know that if they send you to the academy on there buck, your going to finish. A Cadet position will give you loads of experience with the agency your hired by, and the academy will do the rest. In my Academy (Fresno City) volunteer work is part of the course, so you'll probably have your hands full, without a lot of time for anything else. Good luck!
          "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4139 users online. 261 members and 3878 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X