300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Interview

Hey guys! I just want to start off with saying thank you. This forum and its members have been extremely helpful, and brutally honest, when answering my questions. I’ve also gained a lot of knowledge of the hiring process by poring through the forum and reading y’alls responses to other. I admire your honesty and helpfulness. It’s helped me prepare and get this far. But on to the question.

I have applied to several places, but luckily, the department that I’ve always wanted to work for has moved the quickest and I have my board interview in a week. If I do fine in the interview, I will be getting sized for my uniform and the academy will start In March. I have a couple friends that work for the department and they gave me some pointers on the interview and the kinds of questions they’ll be asking and what not, but I would like to get y’alls opinion as well. My friends in the department said the BI really likes me and my profile and so do the others that have looked over it. But I don’t count my eggs until they hatch, so I want to knock this interview out of the park. I’ll be wearing a suit, I just graduated with a degree in criminal justice, and the police department is located in the city I was born and raised. So I know my way around the community policing questions and familiarity with the city. What else can I expect to be asked? Is there anything I should be sure NOT to say? Are they going to be giving me scenarios and trying to change my mind to test my character? What can I expect? If y’all need any info from me, I’ll be sure to provide it. Thanks for any input!

No one knows what specific questions they will ask, There are thousand to choose from. My favorite is, how many bubbles in a bar of soap? The question measures your ability to think on your feet and there is a legitimate answer

Here is the criteria most oral boards rate you on. Expect questions that cover any of these areas.
    • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
    • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
    • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
    • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
    • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
    • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
    In reality, the purpose of the oral board is to determine if you have it within you to be a good cop. No amount of coaching or studying is going to help you here. You either have it within you or you don't. Just go in, do your best and let the chips fall where they may.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The one that got me thinking was

If you don't' get this job, could you make a living selling used cars...........and WHy?

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      [/LIST]In reality, the purpose of the oral board is to determine if you have it within you to be a good cop. No amount of coaching or studying is going to help you here. You either have it within you or you don't. Just go in, do your best and let the chips fall where they may.
      Just remember that the panel makeup determines what it "passing'

You can blow one panel and pass the next with the same basic answers
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-01-2019, 08:00 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

One of the "get you thinking" questions we used to ask was: "How many manhole covers are there in Jersey City?"

We got some great responses over the years. My personal favorites were:

- "Hopefully at least one cover for each manhole!"
        - "With all due respect, why do you need to know?"

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
          One of the "get you thinking" questions we used to ask was: "How many manhole covers are there in Jersey City?"

We got some great responses over the years. My personal favorites were:

- "Hopefully at least one cover for each manhole!"
          - "With all due respect, why do you need to know?"
          G. Root a number of years ago a Nor Cal city found the word “manhole” sexist and now uses “maintenance hole” to replace manhole.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
            not.in.MY.town commented
            Editing a comment
            I fully support a woman's right to equal access to the bowels of hell (AKA the city sewer system).

Thanks guys! All of your favorite questions gave me a good laugh! I’m just going to treat it as the biggest interview of my life (which so far it is) and go in there with as much rest and awareness as possible. I was just looking for some pointers or tips if y’all had any!

L-1, thanks for the detailed response. I’m not so much trying to know the exact questions, more so just a generalization of what they look for and things to stay away from saying or any tips. You provided me with some of those answers! I’m extremely confident I have what it takes and I feel like I fit in very well with this department already. It’s going to be exciting guys. I’ll keep y’all updated!

Comment

what else can I expect to be asked? Is there anything I should be sure NOT to say? Are they going to be giving me scenarios and trying to change my mind to test my character? What can I expect?
            Here's my unscientific opinion about the board interview process....

Yes, they will likely ask you 'how would you handle blah blah situation' and yes they may challenge your responses ('would you really arrest the mayor for dui on the night of his election party?!') but the overall purpose of the oral interview is to get a sense of who you are, your background, how you present yourself, how you think, and how you respond under the stress of facing several people, some of which may be giving you the furry brow or steeled eye glare.

Keep in mind this important juncture in the hiring process is used to weed out the arrogant, the angry, the serial BSers, the entitled, and anyone missing the basic oral communication chromosome. It's why and how someone with a master's degrees loses the job to someone who drives a FedEx truck; just because a candidate has a d***ling resume doesn't always translate into someone who can think quickly and communicate well.

How you present yourself in general is a big factor. I recall an associate who sits on hiring panels telling me about the time a candidate walked in, wearing his security guard uniform. He had a chip on his shoulder and a smirk on his face the minute he sat down. His attitude was one of arrogance and entitlement, as if the position was owed to him. His responses were minimal and curt, as if he was talking to a toll booth operator. Needless to say, his application was placed on the No pile.

So what's the best way to approach interview day? Get a good night sleep. Go for a run in the morning. Wear a suit and tie and be groomed. Take a couple of deep breaths when the door opens. Give firm handshakes and repeat back names and titles. Sell yourself but do so in a humble fashion. Don't exaggerate even the littlest amount. Be candid about previous failures and disclose errors in judgement, regardless if an official record exists or doesn't exist. And if you answer the question 'what is your greatest fault?' with something dumb and hammy like 'well, often I work too hard', don't expect to be considered further.

Pause three seconds before answering the hypotheticals, as this shows you are processing the question and not reciting back a canned answer or what you think they want to hear. Explain your position but don't ramble on. Let intentional silences be intentional silences and respond to squinty eye glares by sitting straight up, looking forward, awaiting the next question.

I want to knock this interview out of the park
            I would reconsider such approach. This is not the Love Connection and it's not the time to awe and amaze with your awesomeness. It's an opportunity for you to demonstrate you are a serious candidate and present the total picture, be it good, bad, or ugly. Good luck.

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

I don't why auto-bleep edited d***ling but the word I typed was "d a z z ling."
              One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuy117 View Post
                Thanks guys! All of your favorite questions gave me a good laugh! I’m just going to treat it as the biggest interview of my life (which so far it is) and go in there with as much rest and awareness as possible. I was just looking for some pointers or tips if y’all had any!

L-1, thanks for the detailed response. I’m not so much trying to know the exact questions, more so just a generalization of what they look for and things to stay away from saying or any tips. You provided me with some of those answers! I’m extremely confident I have what it takes and I feel like I fit in very well with this department already. It’s going to be exciting guys. I’ll keep y’all updated!
                Good luck with the oral board and rest of the hiring process!

Comment

Thanks guys! All of your favorite questions gave me a good laugh! !
                  You shouldn't laugh. They are serious questions and the person asking them has a reason for the question and more importantly YOUR ANSWER.

Many years after I took the car salesman question I asked the person who gave me that question about it. By the time I had asked he had moved from a Lieutenant at my sheriff's office to the Elected Sheriff and then to a Presidential Appointment as US Marshal for the Northern District Of Iowa .

Denny told me that he had asked that question to EVERY Deputy Sheriff and Deputy US Marshal applicant that he had interviewed between 1974 and 2000. His theory was that a cop was a salesman of the law and a person who was proficient in sales could learn the procedure of "selling" law abiding to the masses.

I realized as I continued my career that his theory was pretty good. I later realized that retail salespersons made pretty good cops and Correctional Officers because they knew how to talk to people
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Here's my unscientific opinion about the board interview process....

Yes, they will likely ask you 'how would you handle blah blah situation' and yes they may challenge your responses ('would you really arrest the mayor for dui on the night of his election party?!') but the overall purpose of the oral interview is to get a sense of who you are, your background, how you present yourself, how you think, and how you respond under the stress of facing several people, some of which may be giving you the furry brow or steeled eye glare.

Keep in mind this important juncture in the hiring process is used to weed out the arrogant, the angry, the serial BSers, the entitled, and anyone missing the basic oral communication chromosome. It's why and how someone with a master's degrees loses the job to someone who drives a FedEx truck; just because a candidate has a d***ling resume doesn't always translate into someone who can think quickly and communicate well.

How you present yourself in general is a big factor. I recall an associate who sits on hiring panels telling me about the time a candidate walked in, wearing his security guard uniform. He had a chip on his shoulder and a smirk on his face the minute he sat down. His attitude was one of arrogance and entitlement, as if the position was owed to him. His responses were minimal and curt, as if he was talking to a toll booth operator. Needless to say, his application was placed on the No pile.

So what's the best way to approach interview day? Get a good night sleep. Go for a run in the morning. Wear a suit and tie and be groomed. Take a couple of deep breaths when the door opens. Give firm handshakes and repeat back names and titles. Sell yourself but do so in a humble fashion. Don't exaggerate even the littlest amount. Be candid about previous failures and disclose errors in judgement, regardless if an official record exists or doesn't exist. And if you answer the question 'what is your greatest fault?' with something dumb and hammy like 'well, often I work too hard', don't expect to be considered further.

Pause three seconds before answering the hypotheticals, as this shows you are processing the question and not reciting back a canned answer or what you think they want to hear. Explain your position but don't ramble on. Let intentional silences be intentional silences and respond to squinty eye glares by sitting straight up, looking forward, awaiting the next question.

I would reconsider such approach. This is not the Love Connection and it's not the time to awe and amaze with your awesomeness. It's an opportunity for you to demonstrate you are a serious candidate and present the total picture, be it good, bad, or ugly. Good luck.
                    That was extremely insightful. I appreciate the thorough response. I will reconsider the approach, stay humble, don’t try to impress anyone. I do have a single question to ask from that information regarding the “what’s your biggest fault” question. Would mesaying that my biggest fault is sometimes when I get focused on something, that I’m 100% in and can’t let go of it until I finish it? For example, in a past job, there was an issue. I had checked everything I thought, and it was frustrating me because I couldn’t figure out what was causing the issue. So I ended up staying considerably late to figure it out, which I eventually did. I didn’t stay late because I wanted to earn the money or help the person out necessarily. I stayed late because I couldn’t leave without figuring out the issue. Is that dumb and hammy?
                    Last edited by ThatGuy117; 02-02-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

You shouldn't laugh. They are serious questions and the person asking them has a reason for the question and more importantly YOUR ANSWER.

Many years after I took the car salesman question I asked the person who gave me that question about it. By the time I had asked he had moved from a Lieutenant at my sheriff's office to the Elected Sheriff and then to a Presidential Appointment as US Marshal for the Northern District Of Iowa .

Denny told me that he had asked that question to EVERY Deputy Sheriff and Deputy US Marshal applicant that he had interviewed between 1974 and 2000. His theory was that a cop was a salesman of the law and a person who was proficient in sales could learn the procedure of "selling" law abiding to the masses.

I realized as I continued my career that his theory was pretty good. I later realized that retail salespersons made pretty good cops and Correctional Officers because they knew how to talk to people
                      Absolutely, I understand. I would for sure not laugh at the question in the interview. Laying in my bed and thinking of me being in a suit in front of all these high ranking officers and being asked how many bubbles are in a bar of soap made me smirk. I worked retail and sales as well for a period of time during college. But that is a very unique way of looking at it. Selling abiding the law to civilians. I’ve never heard of it put in those terms.

Comment

Your biggest fault is not something we can tell you. That’s on you. Your answer is wanted, not ours. If candidates can’t sit an oral board without running everything past the Internet, they don’t need to be sitting there.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          Your biggest fault is not something we can tell you. That’s on you. Your answer is wanted, not ours. If candidates can’t sit an oral board without running everything past the Internet, they don’t need to be sitting there.
                          I wasn’t asking anyone to tell me what my biggest fault was. I was asking if he thought that the answer sounded dumb. Just asking questions and advice here from people with experience on them. I was also just running one possible answer by him. Not everything.

Comment

That was extremely insightful. I appreciate the thorough response. I will reconsider the approach, stay humble, don’t try to impress anyone. I do have a single question to ask from that information regarding the “what’s your biggest fault” question. Would mesaying that my biggest fault is sometimes when I get focused on something, that I’m 100% in and can’t let go of it until I finish it? For example, in a past job, there was an issue. I had checked everything I thought, and it was frustrating me because I couldn’t figure out what was causing the issue. So I ended up staying considerably late to figure it out, which I eventually did. I didn’t stay late because I wanted to earn the money or help the person out necessarily. I stayed late because I couldn’t leave without figuring out the issue. Is that dumb and hammy?
                            Why do you consider this a fault and is it really your greatest one? Sounds like a strength to me.
                            "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10850 users online. 472 members and 10378 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X