Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of Maryland Correctional Officer (applicant disability question)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Maryland Correctional Officer (applicant disability question)

Hi guys, its been a long road for me as I have been attempting to get into law enforcement as a police officer. After 12 attempts of the hiring process through various agencies and being so close, I have discovered that I probably will be unable to be a police officer in this lifetime. I made it to medical in my most recent hiring process and failed out due to a neurological disorder I developed a quite a few years ago, controlled epilepsy. I have been seizure free for 5 years and the only seizures I had were isolated incidents, one in 2008, 2011 and 2015. The seizures occurred because I was stupid and did not take medication because I did not think I needed it. My neurologist now says that I had a hormonal imbalance causing an issue with my brain activity and that the problem may have corrected itself as I got through puberty. Regardless of this issue, my question is can I work corrections in Maryland with controlled epilepsy? I have been unable to find a complete answer and I do not want to waste time getting to the end of another hiring process only to be medically disqualified. I know federal corrections will hire me as my controlled epilepsy cannot be a disqualification as long as I can physically perform the job with reasonable accommodation. I also know that the state of Arizona will hire correctional officers as long as they have been seizure free for 1 year with or without medication. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

What happens when you flop out in the Pod?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t care about YOU, it’s the other Officers that are the concern.

• Iwillbeacop
      Iwillbeacop commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not get it CCCSD, why do you assume I am a flight risk because I was diagnosed with Epilepsy when my neurologist and the second one I am seeing both state that my seizures are 100% controlled with medication. Not trying to be smart, just trying to convey my circumstances. I have accepted the fact that I cannot work the streets. But in the jail, I can have access to my medication, no?

• 1RidgeRunner7
      1RidgeRunner7 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can only have enough medication for the 8hrs (your shift). Just be aware every state ran facility is under staffed, let’s just say there will be a lot of mandatory OT.

• Iwillbeacop
      Iwillbeacop commented
      Editing a comment
      1RidgeRunner7, Yes I only need 1 pill every 24 hours so that window works fine. Even if I have to do a lot of OT.

They are hurting for people, they might take you. They have hiring bonuses, that’s how bad they need people. I worked for them for 3 yrs before making the jump to the LEO side. If you’re in the area, take a trip to speak with HR. They are located on Reistertown Rd. next to the city community college.

Comment

Originally posted by 1RidgeRunner7 View Post
      They are hurting for people, they might take you. They have hiring bonuses, that’s how bad they need people. I worked for them for 3 yrs before making the jump to the LEO side. If you’re in the area, take a trip to speak with HR. They are located on Reistertown Rd. next to the city community college.
      That's quite the drive, I appreciate the advice. I'll call them first thing. I already put an application in for Montgomery County Corrections which is where I've done the majority of my application processes. The doctor who evaluated me said the only reason he would have trouble clearing me is because I would need to carry a gun on a daily basis. I don't think corrections as the same requirement so I should be ok.

Comment

• 1RidgeRunner7
        1RidgeRunner7 commented
        Editing a comment
        MO. County is different from state corrections. MO. County is their own entity. Incase you weren’t aware.

Originally posted by Iwillbeacop View Post
      Hi guys, its been a long road for me as I have been attempting to get into law enforcement as a police officer. After 12 attempts of the hiring process through various agencies and being so close, I have discovered that I probably will be unable to be a police officer in this lifetime. I made it to medical in my most recent hiring process and failed out due to a neurological disorder I developed a quite a few years ago, controlled epilepsy. I have been seizure free for 5 years and the only seizures I had were isolated incidents, one in 2008, 2011 and 2015. The seizures occurred because I was stupid and did not take medication because I did not think I needed it. My neurologist now says that I had a hormonal imbalance causing an issue with my brain activity and that the problem may have corrected itself as I got through puberty. Regardless of this issue, my question is can I work corrections in Maryland with controlled epilepsy? I have been unable to find a complete answer and I do not want to waste time getting to the end of another hiring process only to be medically disqualified. I know federal corrections will hire me as my controlled epilepsy cannot be a disqualification as long as I can physically perform the job with reasonable accommodation. I also know that the state of Arizona will hire correctional officers as long as they have been seizure free for 1 year with or without medication. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
      Contact the Maryland DOC........................I don't think we have a Maryland doc administrator on this forum and they would be the only persons who could answer your question
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm curious - you say the Feds must hire you if you can perform the job with reasonable accommodation. What accommodation would you require that you believe to be reasonable? Remember, reasonable accommodations means you must still be able to carry out the essential functions of the job without creating a hardship for the employer.

Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Neuro.pdf and read what it says about how having a history of seizures can affect someone's potential for employment in law enforcement. While these are California's standards, the principles behind them are fairly universal. While they were intended for police officer hiring, the safety concerns they address apply to corrections situations as well.

Print it out, send it to you doctor and ask him to read it. Ask him to pretend he is employed by a law enforcement agency and being paid to look out for their interests and not yours. Then ask him if based on these standards, he could clear you for employment knowing what he does about your medical history and condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

I'm curious - you say the Feds must hire you if you can perform the job with reasonable accommodation. What accommodation would you require that you believe to be reasonable? Remember, reasonable accommodations means you must still be able to carry out the essential functions of the job without creating a hardship for the employer.

Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Neuro.pdf and read what it says about how having a history of seizures can affect someone's potential for employment in law enforcement. While these are California's standards, the principles behind them are fairly universal. While they were intended for police officer hiring, the safety concerns they address apply to corrections situations as well.

Print it out, send it to you doctor and ask him to read it. Ask him to pretend he is employed by a law enforcement agency and being paid to look out for their interests and not yours. Then ask him if based on these standards, he could clear you for employment knowing what he does about your medical history and condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
          Reasonable accommodation being my medication. I have to take 1 capsule of keppra per day. I have asked for official documentation from my doctor and neurologist who have said that I am medically able to pursue a career in law enforcement. They gave me the official paperwork of my full medical history and they gave me a letter of recommendation stating that my seizure history has and will not effect my job performance. It has never hindered my ability to perform in my past jobs. I realize that law enforcement is a whole other ball game, but I know I can handle it.

I will give that link a read, thank you.

Comment

Your private MD has nothing to say about if you are qualified. You STILL don’t seem to understand what a liability you are.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Reasonable accommodation being my medication. I have to take 1 capsule of keppra per day. I have asked for official documentation from my doctor and neurologist who have said that I am medically able to pursue a career in law enforcement. They gave me the official paperwork of my full medical history and they gave me a letter of recommendation stating that my seizure history has and will not effect my job performance. It has never hindered my ability to perform in my past jobs. I realize that law enforcement is a whole other ball game, but I know I can handle it.

I will give that link a read, thank you.
              When you say your doctors have certified you as medically fit, whose standards are they applying?

Remember, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, each position you apply for must have a validated, detailed list of critical tasks to be performed and medical standards in support of of those requirements. You doctors must first read the list of critical tasks and medical standards for each position and determine if you are capable of carrying out those full duties within the limitations of your condition before they can render a credible opinion. Thay cannot simply write a generic letter saying you are "good to go".

That's why I sent you to the previous link. It spells out many of the medical standards and concerns that must be met to qualify for most public safety jobs.
              This issue is not as simple as you think.

I was in charge of hiring fo an agency for many years. If you want to get hired, here's what's going to happen.

1. You will apply to a civil service agency and get rejected on the medical.

2. This not a do it yourself project, so you will need to hire an attorney who specializes in civil service matters and have him file an appeal on your behalf. In doing so, he will seek discovery, which is a request for all the information upon which the employer based their disqualification decision.

3. Your attorney will hire a physician/neurologist who is an expert witness in law enforcement matters. He will examine the employer's basis for rejecting you including their medical standards and critical task requirements. He will also examine your medical records. If he concludes you can still perform the job, he will attend the hearing and testify as your expert witness.

4. If you make a strong enough case, the civil service commission will rule in your favor.

No doubt, the first thing running through your mind is, I can't afford an attorney, an expert witness and all that this will cost. Stop and consider for a moment. Over a lifetime, this job will probably pay you three million dollars in salary and benefits. It will also probably pay you another two million dollars in retirement pension and benefits.

Now ask yourself, can you afford not to pay for an attorney and what all this will cost?
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Iwillbeacop
                Iwillbeacop commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a lot of new information, thank you for your perspective. I will have to figure out how to go on from here I guess. I am applying to state of MD corrections and Moco Corrections right now, hopefully thinks work in my favor. I will obtain a printout of that link and present it to my neurologist. I am sure she will have no trouble clearing me by the law enforcement standards. The problem is that those standards are CA which you pointed out earlier. I cannot seem to find MD's medical standards. Nonetheless, I have a lot of work to do and hopefully it all works out. Thank you.

• L-1
                L-1 commented
                Editing a comment
                You are absolutely right, what I sent you are California's standards and not Maryland's. However, bear in mind that the principles of medicine do not change when they cross a state line or international boundary. Similarly, professional police standards, duties, functions and liabilities are also very similar throughout the country, irrespective of the state. While you state may word them differently, I suspect their essence wil be the same as those of California, Nevada, Florida or any other state (take your pick).

Best of luck.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons will require to you be qualified on a number of firearms. You will frequently be required to be armed in certain posts AND one of the requirements of having a job (ANY JOB) within the BOP is to be fully qualified to stand ANY post as a Correctional Offficer.

If your physical has qualms about certifying you to carry a gun every day.....................he should have qualms about certify you to carry a gun anytime since ANY day you might be required as a Correctional Officer

You talk about "having ' to hire you with Reasonable Accommodations......................those accommodations have to be reasonable to the EMPLOYER not necessarily to the employ.

FYI I worked in a maximum security state prison for 30 yrs. The last 15 as a supervisor and manager who was integral to the hiring process.

Maryland DOC is one of the hardest Correctional Agencies to get hired on in the country. Their standards mirror many large LAW ENFORCEMENT agencies.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Iwillbeacop
                Iwillbeacop commented
                Editing a comment
                did you mean state of maryland doc in that last paragraph or were you still referring to federal BOP? Either way, I am still going to try again.

• 1RidgeRunner7
                1RidgeRunner7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Not that hard. I’ve seen what they hired. I’ve done their corrections academy few years back. I was back at mpctc for a police academy, nothing has changed. A lot of those COs looked like they were one cookie away from diabetic shock. You might have a chance sir.

• Iwillbeacop
                Iwillbeacop commented
                Editing a comment
                At this point, where I am hired does not matter to me. I want to get hired by one agency and stick with them to be a respectable leader one day. Hopefully, I get in and can then earn the respect of my peers, make a decent living, and retire while learning all that I can about law enforcement and die happily knowing that I have accomplished what I wanted to. <3

• Iowa #1603
                Iowa #1603 commented
                Editing a comment
                Reading comprehension a problem??????? I specifically labeled each of my statements concerning BOO and MDOC
                By all means try....................you came here asking questions and you have been getting answers to your questions. No one is forcing you to listen to those answers

While I have no experience in Maryland I do know that their personnel have a good reputation within the Corrections community. One of their former directors was the director when I retired from IDOC

One last question guys, I got an email for my corrections exam. It is at the wroten training building in Hagerstown, MD. The email sent did not give me an address for it nor did it give me a number to call. I am researching the location and I cannot find an address. Is it the training center on Roxbury road?

Update: Found it on another website, 18701 Roxbury Rd, Hagerstown, MD 21746
              There are a lot of testing times.
              Last edited by Iwillbeacop; 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM. Reason: Updated info

Comment

That's at the Prison... LONG drive from anywhere
                Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12052 users online. 482 members and 11570 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X