300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps to be hired in different state?

Can anyone tell me with some certainty what steps you need to take if I went through the police academy in Wisconsin and want to work in Minnesota? Also, do you need to have the full 60 college credits completed first? Any information is appreciated! Thanks.

The first thing you would need to determine is whether or not Minnesota will recognize Wisconsin certification. You can determine that by checking with Minnesota POST.

Comment

I checked with MN POST and it talks about reciprocity but I think that is for current police officers. I'm talking about being a recent grad from the academy in WI and wanting to move to MN. Any thoughts?

Comment

different state

That's what reciprocity refers to. One state recognizing the training of another. Sounds like you're good to go.

Comment

This is what it says: Complete basic police training in another state or federal law enforcement,and work in a law enforcement capacity for three years following basic training and possess a post-secondary degree; or five years following basic training if you do not possess a post-secondary degree. You must have been in law enforcement within the past six years.

So you'd have to work in the state where you finished academy for at least 3 years, finish your degree, and THEN apply for a job in MN?!? I don't understand why you can't start in a different state.

Comment

Originally posted by neig0005 View Post
            This is what it says: Complete basic police training in another state or federal law enforcement,and work in a law enforcement capacity for three years following basic training and possess a post-secondary degree; or five years following basic training if you do not possess a post-secondary degree. You must have been in law enforcement within the past six years.

So you'd have to work in the state where you finished academy for at least 3 years, finish your degree, and THEN apply for a job in MN?!? I don't understand why you can't start in a different state.
            Because they don't want you getting your feet wet right out of the academy and being a liability to them. Atleast after 3 years, you're a vet and won't make rookie mistakes that can cost them. Also, it's saying 3 years if you POSSESS a degree, 5 years if you don't have a college degree. Better work on that reading comprehension while you're at it.

Comment

Thank you Aftermath for you response - PhilipCal as well. Aftermath - that was not necessary to insult me for reading comprehension. I comprehended that you could have EITHER 3 years with a degree OR 5 years experience without a degree. That was very rude. I'm trying to get a better understanding of this whole situation since someone I love is trying to be in the same state as I am. I am not in the police force nor have I been through academy. It is my understanding that this is not just a forum for police officers, but for civilians to ask questions as well. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by neig0005 View Post
                Thank you Aftermath for you response - PhilipCal as well. Aftermath - that was not necessary to insult me for reading comprehension. I comprehended that you could have EITHER 3 years with a degree OR 5 years experience without a degree. That was very rude. I'm trying to get a better understanding of this whole situation since someone I love is trying to be in the same state as I am. I am not in the police force nor have I been through academy. It is my understanding that this is not just a forum for police officers, but for civilians to ask questions as well. Thanks.
                First, I apologize if you took it that way. I can come off as brash and arrogant. I was making a point as it seemed from your prior post you were not comprehending properly the given information. A wisconsin LEO needs the 60 hours/associates within 5 years ONJ to keep their job and satisfy the requirement. If Minnesota says you need a degree plus 3 years, or 5 years served, then yes, it's a time consuming process. What does a job have to do with being in the same state as each other? That's why god invented Sugar Momma's!

Comment

Does anyone know how to get a list of states with reciprocity for POST? I'm pretty sure a person would have to visit each state site or make a call.

I ask that b/c I spoke with someone with TN POST and he had a short list, but, it was informative to me as I was begining to put a plan together on starting with another dept in another state.

Any comments or suggestions?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3976 users online. 233 members and 3743 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X