Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two departments want to move forward, what do I do?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two departments want to move forward, what do I do?

    Hey guys. I just wanted to get an honest opinion of when it is to late to back out of a hiring process. Let me get the pertinent details explained first, which might be lengthy but the more details I offer then the better you can answer my question. I applied to three local departments because I wanted to have options and I did not expect to get accepted to all of them. I figured that one, or even none of them would accept me. However, my two top choices have decided to move forward with my hiring process. I was under the impression that the conditional offer of employment would come at the end of the hiring process. But to my surprise, directly after my polygraph for department “A” and department “B”, they both presented me with conditional offers of employment. These offers are pending I pass a psych evaluation, medical evaluation, and oral board review. One is taking a little longer than the other to get a psych evaluation organized, and I expect department “A” to finish the hiring process in a more timely manner. My question, is if I should tell department “B” that I am no longer interested in continuing the hiring process or if I should wait until I get farther in the process with department “A” before I tell department “B” I do not want to move forward. I’m in a dilemma where I don’t want to tell department “B” no, then I fail the oral board for some reason and now I’m out of a job with both departments. But I also don’t want to hang on to one department for too long and tell them no in the very end once they put in money and time to evaluate me psychologically and physically. If I hangout for to long with another department, I could also be occupying an applicant position that I’m taking away from another prospective applicant just to say no and go with a different department. That’s not morally right in my opinion. So I’m stuck in this decision. Could I have any advice from you guys? I appreciate your time. Thank you.

  • #2
    I would continue with both until you are offered a job. We have has candidates that are in other processes and, quite frankly, sometimes our process moves too slow, so they bail when they get hired by a department that moves faster. It is what it is.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by just joe View Post
      i would continue with both until you are offered a job.
      this...........................


      Originally posted by ThatGuy117 View Post
      I was under the impression that the conditional offer of employment would come at the end of the hiring process. But to my surprise, directly after my polygraph for department “A” and department “B”, they both presented me with conditional offers of employment.Thank you.
      A conditional offer of employment is required in order to start the confidential part of the hiring process. Without the Conditional Offer the agency can't get into medical history and psych invvestigation.................
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

      Comment


      • #4
        What the others have said. Continue with both until one gives you a solid hire date.

        ,
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

        Comment


        • #5
          Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree -- as long as you feel you'd be happy with either option, stick with both until one, the other, or both require you to pull out of any other hiring processes. Based on my experience, that usually doesn't occur until the applicant passes background, psych, etc. and a formal offer of employment is made.

          I know of too many stories where applicants backed out of processes before they had to, assuming a conditional offer was lock-solid. Then something popped up on their psych, medical, or background that bounced them from their #1 choice, and they were left with nothing, and had to start all over again.

          Comment


          • #6
            A conditional offer is a conditional offer. Until you have an academy date from one of the agencies, continue with both. A lot can happen even in this stage of the game. Good luck.

            Comment

            MR300x250 Tablet

            Collapse

            What's Going On

            Collapse

            There are currently 5848 users online. 229 members and 5619 guests.

            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

            Welcome Ad

            Collapse
            Working...
            X