300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dq or non select

Im trying to figure out if this was a thanks but no thanks letter or if i was disqualified. Im 22 and I’ve had 1 speeding ticket in 2015 for going 84-65 paid off and completed traffic school. Marijuana use for the purpose of experimentation in 2013 and when asked if i’ve ever stolen anything i said between the ages of 10-12 i used to take balls left at parks home with me. After i submitted my PHQ about a week later i recieved this email.

Thank you for your interest and participation in the selection process for Police Officer with the City of...... Unfortunately, you were not selected to continue in the hiring process. Any information that may have been obtained during your background investigation will not be shared even where such information has been the basis of disqualification from further consideration. If you were contacted by a background investigator, please note that, per the confidentiality waiver you signed, the background investigator will not share any information. Please do not contact the background investigator.

We appreciate the time and effort you put into this process and your interest in the City of ... Police Department and wish you luck in your future pursuits.

If you're hoping to read more into that letter than what's there, don't bother. It's a "thanks but no thank" form letter...you may have been DQ'd for any number of reasons, including you simply weren't the pick of the litter. Get used to seeing them in your journey forward...probably every one of us who made it have a nice collection of them. Keep applying, polish your interview skills, stay honest, build your resume, and push forward.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

None of that (as long as thats all) in your history is any real big deal. Some agencies have the luxury of being selective. Others may be willing to look past those items fairly easily in order to fill a hiring pool. That particular agency may not want you but I'm willing to bet you'll get picked up by someone.

As the above poster stated, many officers received a thanks but no thanks letter or two before they were hired with an agency.
      "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

Comment

Where I'm at (and assuming the letter came from a civil service department), a lot will depend on when you got the letter.

If you got it after taking the written or the oral, it is usually because you failed to score high enough in those portions of the tyest to proceed further in the testing process. There is no shame in that. You just didn't score high enough.

If you got it after entering into the background phase, it is a polite way of saying they found something in your personal history that met their criteria for disqualification.

In civil service, the best qualified applicants are determined by their civil service scores, which establishes their place on the hiring list. Once that's done, the agency can't arbitrarily decide to eliminate you from the hiring process unless they discover something that disqualifies you from employment, such as background, medical or psych. That's the whole purpose of civil service protection, to eliminate arbitrary removal of qualified applicants in favor of friends and cronies. However, when they say they have elected to go with another more qualified candidate, they mean they hired someone who was not disqualified.

Now, I am advised that in some small departments where there is only one or two openings, they may be overly courteous and send a letter to everyone who was not hired, advising them of such. From the tone and wording of your letter that does not sound like the case here.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Basic reading comprehension

Originally posted by Peakest View Post

Thank you for your interest and participation in the selection process for Police Officer with the City of...... Unfortunately, you were not selected to continue in the hiring process. Any information that may have been obtained during your background investigation will not be shared even where such information has been the basis of disqualification from further consideration. If you were contacted by a background investigator, please note that, per the confidentiality waiver you signed, the background investigator will not share any information. Please do not contact the background investigator.

We appreciate the time and effort you put into this process and your interest in the City of ... Police Department and wish you luck in your future pursuits.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6134 users online. 219 members and 5915 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X