300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No detector for Sherrif

I was just curiouse why the sheriif departments around my area do not require a lie detector test? Would being a deputy Sheriff be a good start into law enforcement?

Originally posted by Nixa65714
    I was just curiouse why the sheriif departments around my area do not require a lie detector test?
    A. Poly's and CVSAs are not the cure all when it comes to backgrounds. A good investigator can find out a lot of info on their own by digging into a person's background based on the information they provided....then expand on it and get even more info...and find stuff that they maybe lying or being deceptive about.....and going from there....

I know folks (like myself) that have been honest with a poly operator.....and were told we were being deceptive.......

Just a heads up, there are a lot of Agengies (local/County/State/Federal) that do not use them and have quality Deputies, Officers, Troopers, Agents working for them.....

B. They costs a lot of money to buy and then train an operator. A smaller agency may not use them all the time to be cost effective.....

Originally posted by Nixa65714
    Would being a deputy Sheriff be a good start into law enforcement?
    Ummmm....yeap.....good way to go and stay if you like what you are doing. I know lots of folks that have worked as Deputies for all their LE careers in MO.....and like it a lot.
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-23-2007, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Could be pretty embarrassing applying for the job of Deputy Sherrif, or Deputy Sheriif, on a County job application. If you plan on becoming one, you may want to learn how to spell it right each time.
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Whether or not an agency uses a polygraph in Background Investigations is it's own decision. I agree with Bearcat that a thorough Background Investigation can be as effective as the use of a polygraph. My personal view concerning a polygraph is that it can be a useful investigative tool. Most Examiners make a substantial effort to be fair to the applicant. At the end of the day though, it's an individual department's call. All of which is to say, that quite a few Sheriff's Departments employ the polygraph in thier hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop
          Could be pretty embarrassing applying for the job of Deputy Sherrif, or Deputy Sheriif, on a County job application. If you plan on becoming one, you may want to learn how to spell it right each time.
          Ouch. 100% behind it, but still, ouch.

Comment

Confess!!

Originally posted by Nixa65714 View Post
            I was just curiouse why the sheriif departments around my area do not require a lie detector test? Would being a deputy Sheriff be a good start into law enforcement?
            So what evil crimes did you commit in your past????
            What are you afraid we will find out??

So you can't answer a question without it being a lie??
            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Truly Amazing

Actually, I have already explained the minor things that I have done.... that happened about five years ago. Also, I will be starting the academy in the fall. what I find truly amazing is the smart remarks. If I wanted English correction I would have went to English.com. I was only curiouse why some make a big deal about the detectors in some areas. I appreciate all the HELPFUL advice.

Comment

Even though some of the replies here have to do with your spelling, that doesn't make them any less helpful. As an Officer, Sherrif, Trooper whatever, you will have to write reports. Those reports will be read by Attorneys for both sides, Sergeants, Lieutenants and so on. It may not seem like much, but grammar does count when getting hired.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

If I wanted English correction I would have went to English.com.
                  No offense....but when you are in the academy, you will be having classes that deal with report writing.....and they will be on your *** daily making sure you use proper grammar, good sentence structure, and proper spelling.

In my academy, we had a report writing project that was a pass/fail thing.....meaning if you didn't pass it....you failed the academy...... We worked on it for about a week solid.....and we damn near lost one idiot who screwed around and had to spend the day of the POST test fixing it so he could graduate that night......

Comment

Actually, I have already explained the minor things that I have done.... that happened about five years ago. Also, I will be starting the academy in the fall. what I find truly amazing is the smart remarks. If I wanted English correction I would have went to English.com.
                    Nixa,

Before that academy date arrives, I'm going to recommend you get yourself some thicker skin. With out it, your stay in the academy will be a miserable, if not short one

Good luck
                    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I agree with excomptoncop, thicken up. If not your going to get chewed up in the academy, for a very short time.
                      Having said that, polygraphs are crap, they can't tell if your lying or not they can only tell if your nervous. Your poly guy will spent a lot of time before your test telling you how great he is on the machine, how you can't get away with anything, etc.. His goal is to get you nervous about being dishonest. It's all about your breathing, if you deep breath and relax you'll breeze right through it.
                      I will tell you this, if your intentions are to be deceptive, please stay in MO. We have enough problems in Ca.
                      "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

I Apologize

I apologize for getting a little heated about the grammer correction. I am thankful for everyones response. Honestly, my grammer and personal history is not that bad and I have nothing to hide. I can spell much better than I can type. I now understand the importance of grammer and thicker skin. Thank you.

Comment

I was just curiouse why .....
                          So you won't mind if I point out another misspelled word?
                          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                            That is funny you said that.. They told us during our orientation that most people are dropped because they couldn’t spell "Deputy" or "Sheriff"...
                            "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

I went through a Police Academy at 47 years of age, let me tell you this, you will be tested to the max in every way possible, they want to find your breaking point, you cannot have one and be a Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, whatever, remember that and you will graduate. Good Luck.
                              law dog

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5593 users online. 320 members and 5273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X