Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a chance ?

postedited
    Last edited by GrandmasterCow; 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM.

Define "awhile ago" and "Only a few times". These are important items. Also noticed that you used a judge and two officers as references prior to mentioning the marijuana usage. If you explain the usage prefaced by the persons you know and how successful they are, you may have created a problem for yourself. It would indicate you don't accept responsibility and want other family members good reputations to cover your misdeeds.

Never, Never, Never, justify your actions by the good reputation of others you are related to, big red flag to me, you expect special treatment. Just some thoughts from an old Fa__.
    Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Apply everwhere, dont limit yourself because you will probably get turned down by the first 5 places you apply to because of lack of interviewing experience. And I agree with the above post. If you start talking like that in a interview you are screwed.

Comment

thank you for the responses. No I do not expect special treatment, I threw that out there as references for my background and reputation. I should have reworded "a while ago", but it means lil over a month and half ago.

I have read online that departments in NJ do not hire like other states, but I can't find where i read that. Does anyone have knowledge about this? If this is true, would I have to take the civil service exam and would they contact me? I see job offerings from other states online but nothing from NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by DetectorAz
          Define "awhile ago" and "Only a few times". These are important items.
          I noticed the above right away, along with, I have never done, except (fill in the blank drug) - - big red flags.

I had guy once tell me hadn't used crack in a long, long time, and when I asked how many hours it had been, he answered somewhere in the neighorhood of 6.

Originally posted by GrandmasterCow
          I should have reworded "a while ago", but it means lil over a month and half ago..
          I'd say depending on how desperate the department applying for is, the wait will be 2 to 5 years.

Also, background checks are often called "reliability checks" for a reason. So, stick with a job or school for a couple of years and demonstrate "reliability".

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
            I noticed the above right away, along with, I have never done, except (fill in the blank drug) - - big red flags.

I had guy once tell me hadn't used crack in a long, long time, and when I asked how many hours it had been, he answered somewhere in the neighorhood of 6.

I'd say depending on how desperate the department applying for is, the wait will be 2 to 5 years.

Also, background checks are often called "reliability checks" for a reason. So, stick with a job or school for a couple of years and demonstrate "reliability".
            Hilarious. You did a drug a month and a half ago and you think you can apply now? That's almost as funny as the above quote. You're age and the decision you made can limit you for "a while", or like mentioned, closer to the 5 year mark. Also, your jobs should be atleast a year in length. It's not like you're in high school to where a job didn't mean anything. Also, seeing as the people around you, and a sudden interest in LEO, sounds like a phase IMHO.

Comment

I agree with the above posts and retract my earlier post.

I would recommend joining the military, pick any branch, it doesn't matter which. Show that you can make a commitment and keep it. Furthermore, it will show that you have disipline, moral, and work as a team, etc.. Spend 2yrs in the military get the veterans points on the next test if they have that in your area. And wait until your active duty commitment is done. If you really want to be a Police Officer you have to work for it.

The problem is that people thing pot is no big deal and they fail to realize when going into law enforcement it is. Now it not usually looked upon as an automatic disqualifier BUT there are some major issues with it. To include when you last used it, how often, did you sell it, did you move it around for others to sell it, are your close friends drug dealers, etc.. The major point is that pot is illegal and you knew it but you used it anyways. Bad judgement call. It sounds as though you lack maturatity and general commen sense and you should probably not waste your time applying until you can straighten yourself out. If you cannot be honest posting a question on a website where your true identity is kept confidential then how are you going to be honest with a Police Department when they know everything about you?

Comment

They are looking at your history. If you smoked dope a month and a half ago, then your "history" isn't.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

You want to put as much distance between the last time you smoked marijuana and the date of your initial application. Some departments keep track of how many times you were turned down by others. I would wait at least 3-5 years between the last time you smoked and your first application. Also, its important that you stay with a job for an extended period of time. Reliability is important. No department wants to invest thousands of dollars into your training only to have you resign in a year or two. Someone suggested the military. I second that.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Do I have a chance?

You have some work to do. I detect an attempt at a certain amount of evasiveness on your part. Whether my perception is correct or not, it would negatively impact my decision if I were on your Oral Board. In interviewing you, I would not personally care if one of your relatives was a Judge, or drove a beer truck. My focus would be you. Do you have a shot? Possibly, but you need to do a little work. Consider a tour in the Armed Forces. Consider a job where you focus on dealing with people. Focus on continuing your education. Any of these are good alternatives. Avoid the drug use, and get away from rationalizing, name dropping, and excuses. Good luck.

Comment

true. thanks very much for the advice. I really want to become LEO one day but I would like to do it the correct way. I am going to continute my education and keep my record clean.

Comment

Good attitude!! Just keep yourself clean, educate yourself, and stay in shape. I wanted to be a LEO for YEARS, but I made my foolish ISOLATED mistakes, so I wanted to put time between them and the time I applied. MD requires 3 years between the last time you did drugs before you can go to the academy. Prove that you didn't just make a mistake, rather you did and you LEARNED from it. Good luck my man.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmasterCow
                          I should have reworded "a while ago", but it means lil over a month and half ago.
                          ROFL. It would have been more appropriate and closer to the truth if you inserted "yesterday" in place of "a while ago".

The competition for these jobs are tough. I can say around here with the drug use being that recent you wouldn't even be considered.
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Hey everyone. I wanted to update on my progress since this post two years ago.

I have since completed 2 yr degree in I.T., and through my technology school training I have achieved 5 certifications (A+,Net+,Sec+,MCP,Linux+). I have been drug clean ever since my last post two years ago. I have volunteered in my old home town in NJ, and have moved to Naples, FL last month (June). I love it down here and I am continuing my education with a new major in C.J. at Edison State College in Collier County. I have been keeping physically fit each day. I am still pursuing the LEO career, even though it seems to be quite compettative in this economic situation, I will still set myself a goal and work hard to achieve it, even if it means working at a Jail to gain experience while I work, attend college for my new major, and apply at depts. I have considered in joining the Air Force, but I instead decided to continue college and work.

Some people say not to jump into the LEO career as it usually is a "phase". Well, I know for sure this is not a phase as I have been studying, learning from others, taking part in my community, and talking to people that would know which direction to direct me in so I can pursue this new career path. I would like to give back to the community not only a sense of security, but a sense of respect as I've been given.

Thanks for helping me with advice.
                            -Eric
                            Last edited by GrandmasterCow; 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Congratulations on your progress. It is competitive out here in law enforcement and your chances improve every day you are clean of drugs. Your wording has improved and there were no justifications in your post. Maybe it's time you applied to a department of your choice. Don't limit yourself to one department, apply at may. Good luck in your quest.
                              Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2969 users online. 151 members and 2818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X